The Upward Spyral

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Hmm I'm tempted at least for the other upcoming setups. How forgiving is it, do you go full on lab style or is there some play
It's been pretty forgiving to me. Sometimes I forget an application, or sometimes just eyeball how much I dump in there.

Plus I think the extra oxygen molecule can be used by the roots too, but don't quote me on that lol

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Any easy way to clean off the bad paint? I don't think Blowes sells lids by themselves otherwise I'd try that with a new lid. It's only on one side but will probably get worse really fast and I don't want paint peeling off into the tote.
No real easy way to get that paint off @spyralout . Best move would be to bite the bullet and buy another tote and just use the bottom half for some storage. You might be able to knock it off with a power washer but a new tote is pretty cheap.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
,,, they may sell them individually.

My first thought was gasoline, although that may not be appropriate.
Good old 80 grit.

No real easy way to get that paint off @spyralout . Best move would be to bite the bullet and buy another tote and just use the bottom half for some storage. You might be able to knock it off with a power washer but a new tote is pretty cheap.
I like camp fuel (not Coleman, it's blue and has more contaminants). Walmart brand Crown is pretty clean, and if you can find Ozark Trail that's one of the cleanest. Takes off adhesive goo, sharpie, etc and evaporates fast. Lowes only sells a 5 pack of lids which it would be cheaper to just buy the tote like Capt suggests. I emailed the company, see if they can send me a free lid, in the meanwhile I'll use this until I decide on what to do. Why do black tote lids have to be so expensive?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
In an effort to keep up with our love for variety with ease of maintenance, I built a couple of @HydroRed inspired F&D totes. Parts haven't arrived yet to update/repair the RDWC.

Perfect stackability

Fits 8 - 5.5" square pots (a bit over 1/2 gal ea) side by side

A bonus is that they all fit standing up with the lid closed for easy containment and transporting. A bonus-bonus is that the lid can be flipped upside down, drilled with holes for pucks/collars, and used as a cloning tray like an ez-cloner. Stopped at the 99c store to get a few packs of the clamps...

...just in case the pots want to tip over. We'll be using the Grow!t brand clay pebbles for these even though I don't like them because they're irregular shaped and float. To save money and use up what we have, we'll go with them this time around and the clamps should help with holding it all down.

Simple 2' of 1/2" vinyl hose, with some play so the lid can be lifted. Power cord goes out the side by the latches without any need for grooves or holes, and still fits perfectly snug. Going to try sterile with H2O2 and see how it goes.

2 totes, 16 pots. What to run? 🤔

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
In an effort to keep up with our love for variety with ease of maintenance, I built a couple of @HydroRed inspired F&D totes. Parts haven't arrived yet to update/repair the RDWC.

View attachment 19400

View attachment 19399

View attachment 19401
Perfect stackability

View attachment 19402
Fits 8 - 5.5" square pots (a bit over 1/2 gal ea) side by side

View attachment 19404
A bonus is that they all fit standing up with the lid closed for easy containment and transporting. A bonus-bonus is that the lid can be flipped upside down, drilled with holes for pucks/collars, and used as a cloning tray like an ez-cloner. Stopped at the 99c store to get a few packs of the clamps...

View attachment 19403
...just in case the pots want to tip over. We'll be using the Grow!t brand clay pebbles for these even though I don't like them because they're irregular shaped and float. To save money and use up what we have, we'll go with them this time around and the clamps should help with holding it all down.

View attachment 19405
Simple 2' of 1/2" vinyl hose, with some play so the lid can be lifted. Power cord goes out the side by the latches without any need for grooves or holes, and still fits perfectly snug. Going to try sterile with H2O2 and see how it goes.

2 totes, 16 pots. What to run? 🤔
Your gonna love the results paired with simplicity. The clamps are a great idea! 👏

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
So this happened yesterday

My GF's dad saved random bag seeds over the years. Some as early as the 70s and 80s. Mostly 90s to mid 2000s. He said there should be Panama Red, Thai Stick, Colombian and of course Mexican to name a few. They were in several jars until he consolidated them one day.

There are a lot of bad ones but just a quick and dirty hand sort. May be better under a magnifier? It's probably over a QP of beans. Maybe I'll get a count by average weight and have a guessing game lol
If anything very interesting nostalgia. If these seeds could talk lol. Might be a better way to sort them.

Last edited:

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
So this happened yesterday

View attachment 19462

View attachment 19463
My GF's dad saved random bag seeds over the years. Some as early as the 70s and 80s. Mostly 90s to mid 2000s. He said there should be Panama Red, Thai Stick, Colombian and of course Mexican to name a few. They were in several jars until he consolidated them one day.

View attachment 19464
There are a lot of bad ones but just a quick and dirty hand sort. May be better under a magnifier? It's probably over a QP of beans. Maybe I'll get a count by average weight and have a guessing game lol
If anything very interesting nostalgia. If these seeds could talk lol. Might be a better way to sort them.
Damn dude! U gonna try to germ any of those bad boys?! Would be interesting for sure

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Damn dude! U gonna try to germ any of those bad boys?! Would be interesting for sure
Yes. I've read some prepping methods flying around that may increase the chances of germ. Can't remember where. Over 10 years ago he handed us a few and we popped em in the ground with only dripping AC condensation as the water source. A couple got past the gutter but died due to spider mites.
He used to drive around in the countryside and Johnny Potseed the fields and orchards lmao