The Upward Spyral

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
There are more than a couple though. At least 5 different spots so far. At what point do you draw the like?
I hear ya. How bad you want to see that plant to harvest is probably the best answer I can give? If its a total worry for you then you may benefit from culling and being worry free. Or you could pluck em and see what it brings from there. I've had plants show a few balls in week 2-3 of flower...pluck em off, then nothing comes back and they go on to a nice harvest of sensi bud. Also, the clones from the plant never showed any more signs of intersexing. I've also had them come out in relentless waves....and those were the ones that were culled by pluck #2.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I hear ya. How bad you want to see that plant to harvest is probably the best answer I can give? If its a total worry for you then you may benefit from culling and being worry free. Or you could pluck em and see what it brings from there. I've had plants show a few balls in week 2-3 of flower...pluck em off, then nothing comes back and they go on to a nice harvest of sensi bud. Also, the clones from the plant never showed any more signs of intersexing. I've also had them come out in relentless waves....and those were the ones that were culled by pluck #2.
Thanks for that.
They look like they're appearing on new growth smaller stems too. Have a decision to make.

Last edited:

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
So you've had plants that were clearly male (no female flowers) turn female afterwards? I've only been growing a few years but I've never seen or heard of that happening without them being forced by chemical manipulation. I'm not saying you're wrong it just sounds to me like you're talking about herms, not true males. I have grown herms by using colloidal silver that developed full on nuts, not bananas, then stopped once the silver was no longer being used. I'm just looking for clarification. I've learned quite a bit about growing over the last few years but I'm always up to find out something new and there is still so much I don't know. Thanks.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I think you are correct @SmithsJunk . Mr. Red can correct me if i am wrong but i am pretty sure he was referring to a female plant that developed balls (herm).The way @spyralout had it worded is were the confusion came from. @spyralout Punch buggy was a female plant that developed balls right or is it a reg that you are trying to determine the sex?
Sorry for any confusion. I should have clarified because I am running quite a few things right now.
Punch Buggy is one of H's fem seeds (Sundae Driver x Purple Punch). Everything else is regs. Soon I will be running more fem beans and will make the distinction to clarify.
Nanners - how early can you see them? I see yellow nubs in some of the top buds, start week 3 of flower today. I don't recall seeing this in any previous runs but it may be because I'm looking closer and noticing more nuances as I am gaining experience.

Apologies for the pics, hard to make out but see if you can find the yellow nubs I'm talking about.

20191012_004142.jpg

20191012_004200.jpg

20191012_004244.jpg

20191012_004247.jpg

20191012_004330.jpg

This is under direct white light. Is it too early to tell? I may be tripping myself out because now I'm paranoid after finding the balls on the other plant.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Square Peg / Round Hole in action
square-peg-round-hole-gif.gif

Can't risk it, and I have options. Hope this shit works🤞

20191012_081905.jpg
God-O-War #1 (Ghost Train Haze x 9 Pound Hammer) - @Phylex
This plant was vegged 2 weeks in a F&D tote vs. 3 weeks on Punch Buggy. Same amount of flower time, starting Week 3 today. So far all 6 God-O-War appear to be female, with this one showing the most promise (they all look really strong, so if this works, this should be fun to watch).

20191012_083226.jpg

20191012_085125.jpg

20191012_085509.jpg
Literally had to stuff it in there, and reverse-toothpaste-tube-squeeze the sides of the net pot

20191012_090540.jpg

20191012_090419.jpg

20191012_091148.jpg
Let's do this shit

Punch Buggy #3
20191012_091532.jpg
Fucking big MF

20191012_091612.jpg
What a shame :(
Keep moving forward..."Only a fool trips on what's behind him" ✊

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
View attachment 25454

View attachment 25455
This plant was vegged 2 weeks in a F&D tote vs. 3 weeks on Punch Buggy. Same amount of flower time, starting Week 3 today. So far all 6 God-O-War appear to be female, with this one showing the most promise (they all look really strong, so if this works, this should be fun to watch).

View attachment 25457

View attachment 25458

View attachment 25459
Literally had to stuff it in there, and reverse-toothpaste-tube-squeeze the sides of the net pot

View attachment 25462

View attachment 25463

View attachment 25464
Let's do this shit

Punch Buggy #3
View attachment 25465
Fucking big MF

View attachment 25467
You did exactly what i would have done with that punch buggy!! Some buds really mess with you with a yellowish ting of growth . The best way i have found to look for nanners is about 5 minuets before lights come on get in there with a led flashlight. They really stand out under those conditions.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
I think you are correct @SmithsJunk . Mr. Red can correct me if i am wrong but i am pretty sure he was referring to a female plant that developed balls (herm).The way @spyralout had it worded is were the confusion came from. @spyralout Punch buggy was a female plant that developed balls right or is it a reg that you are trying to determine the sex?
Yeah, I kinda got lost without the background facts. I understand the frustration of purchasing fem beans and getting a much higher percentage of males than the original info I researched of a 1% touted by internet sources. From my personal experience the likelihood of getting males is closer to 20%-25%. My numbers could be skewed since I've never purchased large lots of 100 or more fems and it's possible I got the 1% (2/200 beans) in a single lot of 6, though highly unlikely. My guess at 75%-80% fem comes from getting F beans from several different sources and averaging. I could very well be wrong but I'm no longer surprised when cannabis throws us a genetic curve ball. It's genetic diversity and ability to mutate from environmental conditions leaves me in constant awe.

Sorry for any confusion. I should have clarified because I am running quite a few things right now.
Punch Buggy is one of H's fem seeds (Sundae Driver x Purple Punch). Everything else is regs. Soon I will be running more fem beans and will make the distinction to clarify.
Nanners - how early can you see them? I see yellow nubs in some of the top buds, start week 3 of flower today. I don't recall seeing this in any previous runs but it may be because I'm looking closer and noticing more nuances as I am gaining experience.

Apologies for the pics, hard to make out but see if you can find the yellow nubs I'm talking about.

View attachment 25432

View attachment 25433

View attachment 25434

View attachment 25435

View attachment 25436

This is under direct white light. Is it too early to tell? I may be tripping myself out because now I'm paranoid after finding the balls on the other plant.
Thank you for clarification.

I don't see any nanners. They look good.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
View attachment 25454

View attachment 25455

View attachment 25457

View attachment 25458

View attachment 25459

View attachment 25462

View attachment 25463

View attachment 25464
Let's do this shit

Punch Buggy #3
View attachment 25465
Fucking big MF

View attachment 25467
Also @spyralout a few late nanners in flowering is usually ok. If i see any before 6 weeks it will get the chop. I had a nice plant from Cannaventure a while back that i chopped at pretty close to 6 weeks because of nanners. That one hurt my feelings a little.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
You did exactly what i would have done with that punch buggy!! Some buds really mess with you with a yellowish ting of growth . The best way i have found to look for nanners is about 5 minuets before lights come on get in there with a led flashlight. They really stand out under those conditions.
Thanks Cap'n. I will try that if I get an opportunity, it's hit and miss on getting in there right before lights on.

I now have several males/hermies that I need to dispose of. I've thrown dried branches in the greenwaste can before but not whole plants lol.

Even though it's a bummer this happened, I am grateful for the experience and for the insight that everyone has provided. Glad it was caught and dealt with early. I learned something from an old timer at work, who learned it from his mentor years ago: "Your first loss is your best loss." Because of the experience gained and having more options available, I feel this was the best choice.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Yeah, I kinda got lost without the background facts. I understand the frustration of purchasing fem beans and getting a much higher percentage of males than the original info I researched of a 1% touted by internet sources. From my personal experience the likelihood of getting males is closer to 20%-25%. My numbers could be skewed since I've never purchased large lots of 100 or more fems and it's possible I got the 1% (2/200 beans) in a single lot of 6, though highly unlikely. My guess at 75%-80% fem comes from getting F beans from several different sources and averaging. I could very well be wrong but I'm no longer surprised when cannabis throws us a genetic curve ball. It's genetic diversity and ability to mutate from environmental conditions leaves me in constant awe.

Thanks Smith. Good info. I agree, this plant never ceases to amaze me, nothing like it.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Yeah, I kinda got lost without the background facts. I understand the frustration of purchasing fem beans and getting a getting a much higher percentage of males than the original info I researched of a 1% touted by internet sources. From my personal experience the likelihood of getting males is closer to 20%-25%. My numbers could be skewed since I've never purchased large lots of 100 or more fems and it's possible I got the 1% (2/200 beans) in a single lot of 6, though highly unlikely. My guess at 75%-80% fem comes from getting F beans from several different sources and averaging. I could very well be wrong but I'm no longer surprised when cannabis throws us a genetic curve ball. It's genetic diversity and ability to mutate from environmental conditions leaves me in constant awe.

MOST fem beans are tested quite a bit to try and avoid any herm issues. All fem seeds are usually female it is just that some have a tendency to throw male parts (herm). Some breeders hardly ever have herm issues with fem seeds. I suspect those are the breeders that have folks running testers for them.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Also @spyralout a few late nanners in flowering is usually ok. If i see any before 6 weeks it will get the chop. I had a nice plant from Cannaventure a while back that i chopped at pretty close to 6 weeks because of nanners. That one hurt my feelings a little.
Got it Capt, I've read a few things about that too. I think we had nanners pop up on a plant in late flower in our coco run last year, but didn't get any seeds. So it checks out in what we've experienced too.
Sucks about the Cannaventure plant. I'm kinda blah about the Punch Buggy turning out this way, cuz it was turning out to be a good looking plant. But I am also excited to see this God-O-War in the RDWC. The roots will be pushing hard to break through the mesh, they are strong ass roots. I bet it will feel like a crazy good morning stretch to the plant. Once they hit, watch out 💥

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
MOST fem beans are tested quite a bit to try and avoid any herm issues. All fem seeds are usually female it is just that some have a tendency to throw male parts (herm). Some breeders hardly ever have herm issues with fem seeds. I suspect those are the breeders that have folks running testers for them.
Yeah, I haven't been doing this long enough or ordered from enough sources to get a solid baseline. I wasn't able to produce my own fem beans this year due to some problems with my landlord but I hope to try again next spring and see if my own beans provide me with better answers.