The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ha! I just noticed the blob of glue on the cut to the main stem! Do you do that to keep shit out of the stem, and to prevent issues with fluid pressure loss after cutting? I’ve never really found if either of those are real issues but, awhile back I started cinching a thin zip tie around the stem, nice and tight like a tourniquet, just below where I top them, and it’s probably all in my head but I swear they don’t stress at all when I top them this way.
That is grafting wax. Basically pine-tar. It keeps bad stuff from getting into an open wound, but on manifolds I have found that it keeps the nub green and alive long enough for the 'knuckle' to form at the junction, and make the plant sturdier. If you let it dry up and fall off like a leaf stem, there's a chance of that being a weak spot, and breaking late in flower when the get weight.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As far as the LST goes, this is why I stopped messing with them while they are tiny. When I top, none of that stuff will matter, and with a bunch of plants jammed in a little tent, better to have height. I have done more harm than good trying to bend them early.
IMG_8858.JPG
But those 4 shoots are what will need training - unless I keep 8 then I would let them go up.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
As far as the LST goes, this is why I stopped messing with them while they are tiny. When I top, none of that stuff will matter, and with a bunch of plants jammed in a little tent, better to have height. I have done more harm than good trying to bend them early.
View attachment 65226
But those 4 shoots are what will need training - unless I keep 8 then I would let them go up.
Yeah, I pull mine down very little at first and then slowly cinch them down a tiny bit each day, until they get nice and horizontal with about 4 stakes per side stem, over the course of a week or more. Once they reach the sides of the pot, I leave those stakes in, and do the same to the shoots coming off those side stems so the grow 90 degrees off them to the sides of the pot. Then I leave all the stakes in, flip to flower, and then use velcro plant ties (just because they stick right to the fabric pots I use) to hold hold keep things where I want them until the flower stretch is done. Once that is done I remove all the stakes and then I will remove all the velcro ties a week or two later so shit won't just spring up when I remove those.

These are the "hold downs" I made with velcro ties that make LST so easy for me.
bc7BC6p.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah, I pull mine down very little at first and then slowly cinch them down a tiny bit each day, until they get nice and horizontal with about 4 stakes per side stem, over the course of a week or more. Once they reach the sides of the pot, I leave those stakes in, and do the same to the shoots coming off those side stems so the grow 90 degrees off them to the sides of the pot. Then I leave all the stakes in, flip to flower, and then use velcro plant ties (just because they stick right to the fabric pots I use) to hold hold keep things where I want them until the flower stretch is done. Once that is done I remove all the stakes and then I will remove all the velcro ties a week or two later so shit won't just spring up when I remove those.

These are the "hold downs" I made with velcro ties that make LST so easy for me.
View attachment 65231
I have holes drilled all around the pot. I use the long roll of wire-ties, and a rubber coated hook to actually put on the plant for everything.
1595422977801.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don't know about everyone else, but even though I take lots of pics of the fat tops, I harvest based on the lower nugs.
This one is mostly opaque (ripe) and starting to get the amber twinkles in the pic.
For me, I don't get people that harvest the tops and leave the lower stuff to ripen - my tops always seem to be behind the rest of the plant.
Is that an LED thing?
IMG_0048.1.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have presents showing up Monday or sooner from a new source 😋

It's an assortment of fem seeds, so my dumb ass is probably gonna drop one of each and have a mixed grow again LOL

I am loving the retirement life. Up at early to play with plants, work outside after the sun comes up before it gets hot. Siesta in the afternoon before the lights come on. Play with plants more. Rinse and repeat LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The G13 Genius is a prime example. The tops don't have much amber that you can see on the outside, and it's getting bed-head
IMG_0056.JPG
But everything else is nicely opaque and has enough amber for me for her to get chopped today.
IMG_0058.JPG
So I am moving her by the door, and soaking the pot with plain RO to let her get fat and juicy, and she is gone this afternoon.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I have presents showing up Monday or sooner from a new source 😋

It's an assortment of fem seeds, so my dumb ass is probably gonna drop one of each and have a mixed grow again LOL

I am loving the retirement life. Up at early to play with plants, work outside after the sun comes up before it gets hot. Siesta in the afternoon before the lights come on. Play with plants more. Rinse and repeat LOL
Ooooooh can't wait to see ! New source!!!!