The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am not immune to plant issues it seems. Thought everything was going so well.
Apparently the DBB doesn't like something I did. The leaves are bronzing a little, and the lower ones getting ugly. I'll get a better pic tonight. I waited too long to feed it in flower, then when I did she went a little sideways. Nothing different from how I've grown every other plant except maybe a week needing food. I let her dry out then gave her a good soaking last night, nothing outrageous in the run-off, maybe just a finicky plant?
Hell, it could be that the strain wants to eat more and I wasn't feeding enough.
I moved it into the closet for a little different environment (a little warmer) to see if it helps or hurts.
IMG_8466.JPG
These all got soaked. The BHP lower left is browning, the scamdemic that flipped at the same time has not.
The BHP is really leafy, so I am expecting them to also be frosty. I figure you get hash from the leaves, more leaves more hash. But I'm an ignorant stoner so what do I know 😁
IMG_8471.JPG
And the first Hippie Crippler has not suffered from much shrinkage. I see 16 little larf-nuggies that I'll get to taste first.
IMG_8472.JPG
IMG_8476.JPG

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I’ve only just started growing outdoors again the last few years after retiring the passion while the kids were growing up. One thing I’ve noticed is we never seemed to have as many growing issues with the old landrace strains a couple decades ago as what you see today with all the hybrid cross strains floating around .No argument the potency has improved out of sight but it seems some genetics can be very prone to issues even grown outdoors . Maybe I’m missing something?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’ve only just started growing outdoors again the last few years after retiring the passion while the kids were growing up. One thing I’ve noticed is we never seemed to have as many growing issues with the old landrace strains a couple decades ago as what you see today with all the hybrid cross strains floating around .No argument the potency has improved out of sight but it seems some genetics can be very prone to issues even grown outdoors . Maybe I’m missing something?
I completely agree. Even with the fems, there's still a pheno-hunt. I haven't seen that from any of JJ's fems. His regs are always a great hunt, and every pheno that pops is different but good in it's own way.

I don't think it has so much to do with the landrace strains as much as WHICH landrace strains, and how they were cared for over the years. I think that the guys that methodically build up genetics and work strains are still out there. There are also those that make seeds from those strains that have been 'worked', getting a leg up on the genetics and finding what they want to work with. If you start with a kick-ass mom and dad, you'll likely have a decent result. But it's still nature.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
I completely agree. Even with the fems, there's still a pheno-hunt. I haven't seen that from any of JJ's fems. His regs are always a great hunt, and every pheno that pops is different but good in it's own way.

I don't think it has so much to do with the landrace strains as much as WHICH landrace strains, and how they were cared for over the years. I think that the guys that methodically build up genetics and work strains are still out there. There are also those that make seeds from those strains that have been 'worked', getting a leg up on the genetics and finding what they want to work with. If you start with a kick-ass mom and dad, you'll likely have a decent result. But it's still nature.
Correct and we all know what nature can throw up . Has a way of humbling even the best

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Solid looking buds
They are! I love breaking apart that first top to see how they are built. The runt that flipped a few weeks later looks right on target for more of the same. They didn't stack tall, but they definitely plumped sideways.

I can't wait to see how it smokes. The trim hash is a combination of fuel and skunk

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
They are! I love breaking apart that first top to see how they are built. The runt that flipped a few weeks later looks right on target for more of the same. They didn't stack tall, but they definitely plumped sideways.

I can't wait to see how it smokes. The trim hash is a combination of fuel and skunk
Very nice . I’m partial to anything with that Skunk element in the combo of flavours . Shame you don’t see any original skunk surface anymore . Was the first strain I smoked that genuinely sat me on my ass and cancelled the rest of my day .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Very nice . I’m partial to anything with that Skunk element in the combo of flavours . Shame you don’t see any original skunk surface anymore . Was the first strain I smoked that genuinely sat me on my ass and cancelled the rest of my day .
The HAOG Skunk by schwaggy has some of the skunk taste and smell, but it's still more perfume/spice from the northern lights part of the skunk.

Maybe some of the original pheno hunts just went that direction, trying to breed the sweet in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am settled in to doing tester packs in the tent, and I'll be using the closet for "fun grows" (like they aren't all fun LOL)

On the list of fun runs are some more old family strains from @J.James including an '84 Pepe Le Pew which sounds like MONEY. I'm saving that for a winter grow since they are easier in my area.

Interestingly there is also a '92 Grape Musk. From a strain standpoint he doesn't know the exact parents, but if I was to guess it's a skunk x grandaddy purple or something in that family of crosses.

If you look at the timeframe it makes sense. I graduated in '84 and there was some amazing skunk around. It was very piney as well, like you chased a skunk into a cedar forest. But there was also an influx about that time of new strains that the old hippies had been working on. That shows (in my opinion) one direction that the skunk went. And the new stuff was popular. Money drives the market and shit gets lost.

The Pepe Le Pew will probably be my first attempt at a mother plant and clone runs when I get to it. But I have a bunch of one-and-done stuff I want to try first.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Alot of bottlenecking in the last twenty years. Strains have become finicky too. I agree, twenty years ago even the newest strains seemed super stable to me . There were only a handful of breeders as well. I'm no expert though and would like to hear from somebody who actually knows lol

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Y
Alot of bottlenecking in the last twenty years. Strains have become finicky too. I agree, twenty years ago even the newest strains seemed super stable to me . There were only a handful of breeders as well. I'm no expert though and would like to hear from somebody who actually knows lol
Would make an interesting discussion. In my younger years we were the same . We had maybe half a dozen familiar local strains , mainly Sativas then Northern lights was probably one of the first on the scene in the early Nineties that changed the whole landscape . I can remember going around to a mates place and ripping one down and asking what the hell was that I just blasted . Northern Lights he replied . I’m like yeah right whatever ........ the rest is history

Big Terps

Growing on a dime

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That trifecta is badass. Odd but in a good way. Looks healthy so far, so why not see what it holds.. Kool pics dude and like the training uve been doing. Thx
I'm all about the weird or non-conforming stuff. The runt hippie crippler is an example. It was on the verge of being culled, and looks to be another 3-ouncer like the other one.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I'm all about the weird or non-conforming stuff. The runt hippie crippler is an example. It was on the verge of being culled, and looks to be another 3-ouncer like the other one.
Yes sir.. The one StardawgxCorey i got was the runt in early veg. Now 50 days in flower she is the closest to being done and has more chunky buds than the other. Both got a lemony chem smells. Ones chunky golf balls and other has longer sativish buds.
Glad i didnt toss the runt myself..
As long as the weird or odd ball plants are healthy, i keep em.
But the one u got shud be interesting the more it matures.. Nice work man!✌

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yes sir.. The one StardawgxCorey i got was the runt in early veg. Now 50 days in flower she is the closest to being done and has more chunky buds than the other. Both got a lemony chem smells. Ones chunky golf balls and other has longer sativish buds.
Glad i didnt toss the runt myself..
As long as the weird or odd ball plants are healthy, i keep em.
But the one u got shud be interesting the more it matures.. Nice work man!✌
It is definitely smaller than the others for leaf size - which makes sense since it has to feed more of them.