The James Gang

Big Terps

Growing on a dime

Don't know if I have shared this on here yet. Of all the videos I have watched, this one shaped how I am growing now more than anything, as far as the pruning of the plants.
Nice video dude. They seem to be doing it the right way. I seen that they too have found that the 9lb hammer is special. Love that strain..Also like how they only grow those colas to sell.
Thx ✌

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Properly pruning is still my major weak point and I really need to learn to do it properly. I feel like I always either overdo it or I don't prune enough.
The hardest thing for me is to decide during veg what I want to do with the plants. Now that I have pretty much settled on 4-tops to get the fat flowers, but shorter grows, it takes a lot of decision out of it :)

I either top the plants and leave 4 limbs - or I top it and leave two limbs, then top those two for 4 total. Just keeping 4 limbs to start with is easier, but if you have a stretchy plant the manifold training starting with two limbs can help keep them manageable until flip.

I am pruning more tonight, so I'll get you a few pics with a better explanaton.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I seen that they too have found that the 9lb hammer is special
I have a 9lb x tangie cross that I popped one of last grow but it was male. I don't know when I'll get around to dropping the pack, but I'm not doing another scattershot grow with 10 different strains. Pain in the ass.

Stoner edit - I did grow that - it was the Citrol Sledgehammer. I must not have gotten the 9lb leaner because it was frosty but not bulky. Good smoke but there were others better in that grow

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@TreeFarmerCharlie here's a rundown of how I do what I do, copy it or take what you need from it to do your own thing.
The ones in the middle and front with top flowers got their last pruning a few days ago. Once I see Guy Fieri hair I stop pruning.
IMG_8267.JPG
Bottom of this pic is one I snipped and one I snipped right after the pic. I leave nubs on to keep from doing damage to the plant. They'll dry up and fall off later. The next two up are both gone next pruning because there's still all the nugs in the purple circles. If she stretches more and pumps out more nodes between now and when she starts stacking, I'll take another round.
Once I see a second set of leaves popping that means more nodes, two larfy nugs and a small top, and smaller main tops if you leave them.
IMG_8265.JPG
I kept a lot of shoots on two plants to have a nice scrog looking canopy. I am doing drastic pruning on the 4 tops between now and flip.
If any of the nodes on the lower shoots start making tertiary sprouts of any size I'll remove them.
IMG_8269.JPG
and I cleaned up two for just tops I untied these two since shading doesn't matter.
IMG_8273.JPG
This is what they look like so far, and they will lose more before they flower. Come back in a few months and you'll see the difference :)
IMG_8266.JPG
Here's the other trick - notice what is missing from the pile of everything I trimmed? Fan leaves. I took two... I'll take a few more on the second "shrub" plant, but there is really no upside to pruning them unless they are shading a top. If they end up low on a tall plant then I'll get rif of some lower stuff for airflow, but I always leave the fans that are "feeding" a sprout if I can.
IMG_8274.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thanks for that @H.A.F. !
No problem! I took nuggets of info from different sources, and this is what I came up with that works for me.

But I am just growing for me. So my goals might be different than yours. If you want more product you veg longer. You can still prune up each top you keep like I did to reduce larf and beef up the tops.

From side-by-sides I have done, you'll have roughly the same end weight regardless of how they are pruned. Pruning determines whether its a lot of ping pong balls or a few beer cans.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This evening if any still have shells attached I'll moisten them and try to ease the shells off. Sometimes tweezers work if you are reeeeeealy steady. If the shell is still mostly closed you can squeeze them like a sunflower seed to finish cracking the shell. But I don't pull them off at all. just tapping. Usually the moisture will loosen up that inner shell membrane.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Final count - 12 of 13 Sacred Lotus. I dug the other seed out and no cracks. set it in water to see if anything happens, but I think it's a dud.
I think now that they're all up I'm killing the heat mat. I don't like the idea of cooking roots if they get a little dry.
IMG_8325.JPG
Still waiting. Lots of opaque now, scattered ambers on the petals. She's not drinking much at all, but it's been 4 days so I gave her a little when I fed the others. I think I'll let this one keep going, and I should have some dry to try before I have to make decisions on the others. I would like a little of both, lots of ambers and few, so I think letting the first plant go longer since it's healthy is prudent.
IMG_8328.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I had bought the seeds, I would be happy with the purchase.

The way I figure it, I usually count on 10 seeds minimum in a pack of regs. Most people put a few extra as a buffer to make sure you can get 10 to germinate. 92.3% germination is cool for me.

And since I am just growing for personal smoke, If I get 4 girls out of get a pack of regs it I'm happy. As it stands I think I have a pretty good chance of filling a tent.

When they are big enough to top I'll clone and sex what I prune. On the Rainbow Man I waited to take lower sprouts, and the timing was off - plants showed before the clones.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As far as bean prices in general, here's my theory. When I heard @J.James was dropping serious $$$ on a pack of primo seeds, I was tripping!
But then I got to thinking about it.

What would an ounce of this fire I am growing go for on the market? I would compare it to any top-shelf dispensary offering. Not sure street prices but at ~$10g we're talking $280. And I have never come close to paying that much per pack of beans.

How many times have I grown a plant that only yielded an ounce? Without even taking clones or vegging the hell out of them and I get my money's worth - and I am not even breeding -to make money.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
As far as bean prices in general, here's my theory. When I heard @J.James was dropping serious $$$ on a pack of primo seeds, I was tripping!
But then I got to thinking about it.

What would an ounce of this fire I am growing go for on the market? I would compare it to any top-shelf dispensary offering. Not sure street prices but at ~$10g we're talking $280. And I have never come close to paying that much per pack of beans.

How many times have I grown a plant that only yielded an ounce? Without even taking clones or vegging the hell out of them and I get my money's worth - and I am not even breeding -to make money.
This is the reason I will spend whatever on a pack of beans . Potentially run forever also is my first way of justification

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is the reason I will spend whatever on a pack of beans . Potentially run forever also is my first way of justification
Exactly! I guess it comes down to the breeder, and if you trust them worth $$$ per pack :)

I'm all about capitalism. But when I see him buy a $300 pack of baguettes, I just hope I get to run some seeds from it :) I don't know enough about the system to know which breeders to look for - so I am trusting him to find them :) for the record I buy stuff from him too - not a complete welfare case LOL

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Exactly! I guess it comes down to the breeder, and if you trust them worth $$$ per pack :)

I'm all about capitalism. But when I see him buy a $300 pack of baguettes, I just hope I get to run some seeds from it :) I don't know enough about the system to know which breeders to look for - so I am trusting him to find them :) for the record I buy stuff from him too - not a complete welfare case LOL
When a breeder has won 16 cannabis cups, Then in my opinion, its safe to say his seeds are worth the $$$. People like Leo Stone put in the time it takes to make a strain stable but still get a full range of expressions out of a single pack of seeds.

Last edited: