The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They loved the feeding. Might be moving 3 to the flower-tent soon. That is why I went with hanging the tags on the pots. If I keep rotating plants in I don't want to forget to check sex on the new ones. The GMO Cake is top right, and may stay behind with the DCK to get a bit more structure. The LBF cross is top right and has the real pointy leaves with the sharp serrations.

One of the G13 hashplants is great, I moved it in here for more light to see if it helps.
IMG_5811.JPG
The other three are struggling. All blew the seed shells off like they had a detonator charge, but these had seed skins sticking the cotyledon together and I had to work to free them. The top right is the Cannaventure fem, so I want it to do well, but the hashplant regs are young. I'm pretty sure they are a fairly recent harvest from @SCJedi so aging in the fridge might help.
IMG_5812.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Boredom and testing. My SOG party-cup herm-plant made about 150 seeds. They have been aging, and were set aside to play with - never to be flowered. Not wasting my time on that.

When I first joined the site I was thinking about breeding, and gathering supplies. Before deciding to let other people grow seeds and just grow flowers I ended up with three 50-count flats of these grow cubes. I forget what they are called, but they are supposed to be the shit for cloning - I'm not cloning...

So since I am having issued with seed starting I am going to see if any of these seeds germinate, then try the foam. Not sure if I should leave the top open, pinch it shut, or just sprinkle some starter soil over the hole. IMG_5813.JPG

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Boredom and testing. My SOG party-cup herm-plant made about 150 seeds. They have been aging, and were set aside to play with - never to be flowered. Not wasting my time on that.

When I first joined the site I was thinking about breeding, and gathering supplies. Before deciding to let other people grow seeds and just grow flowers I ended up with three 50-count flats of these grow cubes. I forget what they are called, but they are supposed to be the shit for cloning - I'm not cloning...

So since I am having issued with seed starting I am going to see if any of these seeds germinate, then try the foam. Not sure if I should leave the top open, pinch it shut, or just sprinkle some starter soil over the hole. View attachment 49488
leave it open or lightly push one side to cover the seed. Topping with soil will cause you pest and mold issues this early. You can also use a cube and grind it up and use the dust to fill the hole

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
leave it open or lightly push one side to cover the seed. Topping with soil will cause you pest and mold issues this early. You can also use a cube and grind it up and use the dust to fill the hole
I have the trimmings from cutting them apart - good call.

I assume they wick the water, and just need to sit in a shallow puddle?

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
He called that plastic he was using cellophane, but I think it's more like stuff for candy making. Damn sure isn't regular plastic-wrap.
He uses pcs of turkey roasting bags. They are the same thing used on volcanoes. Super tough maybe a type of cellophane but passes heat well and you can see the product. I saw a different seminar vid not the ones on Utube and he stated that he used turkey roasting bags but I am sure other things work. Most cellophane would stretch if snatched on like he does. I am looking for a round bottle myself plenty of dry sift to use up.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I have the trimmings from cutting them apart - good call.

I assume they wick the water, and just need to sit in a shallow puddle?
A 1020 net tray works the best, but I just submerge them in water for 2 minutes before use and let them gravity drain until they stop dripping. No need to keep water in the tray with them at any point during the seedling stage. Just add water for them wick up (1/4 inch in the tray) after 20 minutes dump the remaining water off to leave a dry tray. Keep in mind that they contain no nutrients, so very light feedings are recommended with every watering. I use a 10% compost tea solution

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A 1020 net tray works the best, but I just submerge them in water for 2 minutes before use and let them gravity drain until they stop dripping. No need to keep water in the tray with them at any point during the seedling stage. Just add water for them wick up (1/4 inch in the tray) after 20 minutes dump the remaining water off to leave a dry tray. Keep in mind that they contain no nutrients, so very light feedings are recommended with every watering. I use a 10% compost tea solution
Thanks! We'll see if any seeds even pop. I'd just rather perfect it (or get used to it) on throw-away seeds. I was thinking about 10% big bloom - which is basically a compost tea.

I was also thinking about adding some rooting hormone and mycorrhizae to the initial cube-soak. Is it pretty obvious when the need water added, or should I just soak&drain at a certain interval?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
He uses pcs of turkey roasting bags. They are the same thing used on volcanoes. Super tough maybe a type of cellophane but passes heat well and you can see the product. I saw a different seminar vid not the ones on Utube and he stated that he used turkey roasting bags but I am sure other things work. Most cellophane would stretch if snatched on like he does. I am looking for a round bottle myself plenty of dry sift to use up.
Looked up natural cellophane (wood cellulose) on amazon and it came up as candy wrappers among other things. I bought some for under $10 to try. Wouldn't be surprised if the turkey bags, crock pot bags, etc. are cellophane. Won't melt like plastic.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Looked up natural cellophane (wood cellulose) on amazon and it came up as candy wrappers among other things. I bought some for under $10 to try. Wouldn't be surprised if the turkey bags, crock pot bags, etc. are cellophane. Won't melt like plastic.
Turkey bags work, it’s the product I stopped on. If you guys find something better let me know!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@J.James none of those seeds had nubs, couldn't tell if any cracked. I went with the paper towel thing to see if any sprout.

I have a few Royal Mystery bag-seeds (found 4 on the whole plant) and a few Black Widow. Might try them next. I just want to see how one grows in the cube before I commit real seeds.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
@J.James none of those seeds had nubs, couldn't tell if any cracked. I went with the paper towel thing to see if any sprout.

I have a few Royal Mystery bag-seeds (found 4 on the whole plant) and a few Black Widow. Might try them next. I just want to see how one grows in the cube before I commit real seeds.
They look a tad green in the photo. Did you dry them out for a week or so before storage? give your storage container a sniff, any ammonia-ish smell will let you know there is organic material in there breaking down.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They look a tad green in the photo. Did you dry them out for a week or so before storage? give your storage container a sniff, any ammonia-ish smell will let you know there is organic material in there breaking down.
I left them out on my dry-sift screen for a few weeks to dry, then they went into a bag with a desiccant. They were accidental, so not really worried about it. I have a small stash of the RM and PD testers, but if I drop them I'm growing them.

I actually think the RM and BW bagseeds looked promising. So far I haven't found any more after I got the buds separated from the big stems. Don't know if that means anything that they were all right in the crotches instead of on the buds themselves. I have plenty of time to play with.