The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Didn't get pics, but I had set the newly potted clones with not much roots in the tent not in a dome. The next morrning (yesterday) they were all drooping. I said "shit" literally and stuck them in the dome right beside them. This morning all perky. No issues with the veg clones of the T-star which is confirmed female! So while I don't know about the cowboy caviar or sunkiss I do know I'll be keeping a T-star long term. Between it and the Dogma that are both Trinity x Chem crosses I may have found my Chem91 replacement.

The stuff I did this morning. On the Ducksfoot, I ordered it and a 707 Bees Knees (GMO x Kush Cleaner) and the BK didn't show up. I sent Peter an e-mail and within an hour I got another tracking code, and the note "so you got the bees knees but not the ducksfoot - I'll get those right out to you" :rolleyes: So I find out monday if he got my "NO!!!!!!!!!!" email and switched the packs before it went out. I ordered 20 ducksfoot, got 30 - and may end up with 50-60 16wk beans. And I was wanting to drop that GMO cross too damnit! I dropped 5 because I still have 25 left...
IMG_4572.JPG
Last night these got new shoes
IMG_4568.JPG
Unless I get a herm pretty sure these are all keepers. The second DD in the 1g is showing but undecided.
IMG_4570.JPG
The Straw-burst and Morning Brew above and this tent his 5 weeks Tuesday.
IMG_4571.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a feeling that on the Delirium Dog I have the two girls in the flower tent and I topped and am vegging two boys.

That was the pack-o-mutants that I dropped all to see if any lived, and got a 15-pack replacement after buying a 5-pack. Oh, if I didn't pass it on the breeder of those is Canadian, and Peter thinks that they may have been irradiated crossing the border. :unsure: If that's the case I have a tube of mutants that if they survive will be OK. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The hills have eyes phenos lol.

How thick do you mulch the top on the seedlings? Is the layer thicker when they get moved to the living soil pots?
It's not thick at all. I have clover seeds on the 1g and it usually sprouts and gets going before I up-pot again. The rice hulls are just to cover the seeds and keep it moist and a good visual of how damp it is. I have a garden sprayer with RO that I use between watering days just to give the top a spritz until the cover crop is rooted. Some of the bigger pots that have a shit cover crop I forgot to water LOL

When I transplant into the grassroots pots the clover and rice hulls keep any soil from getting on the plant so that's cool. Rice hulls go everywhere though so I usually give it a tap upside down over something to get rid of the excess. So at transplant there is almost none around the plant. Once it's in the 5g I add more cover crop seed and re mulch it with the rice hulls. I'd say it's between 1/4 and 1/2" deep average. I just don't want to see soil.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Rainy day, full moon - thinkin' 'bout droppin' a few...

The Nigerian Ducksfoot from Hoku showed up, and they are supposed to be a 16 week strain, so I'll be flipping them at a week or two. There's also a 75% chance of getting the duck trait. I'll be culling any regular leaves before I even worry about male/female so 5 of them Then depending on how many duck-girls I get I might do one in a 7g or two to three in a 15g.

My decision was made grinding up the last of my 707 Dogma and Irie The Cream. Three each, cloning in veg and keeping a mom on both. I have plenty of veg space now including empty T5 carts that wouldbe perfect for a mess of clones. Next drop will have three Durban Poison for the same purpose. I ground some of it up - then forgot it was still in the grinder and did a few nugs of the Dogma. I wouldn' have done it on purpose but it's nice LOL

Also the last of that CLHP 3-pack to see if I get one or an 0-fer. I'll have to check inventory but I have several of the 3 packs left. If I get a third dud or wonker then I drop three next time. I hope it's just Karma but if they are all shit for some reason I still have 5 pre-hurricane packs that are 12+ each of fems. If @J.James had them in cold storage then the power went out, a tiny bit of condensation could be an issue.
my luck would be feminized seed and i would get a male.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
my luck would be feminized seed and i would get a male.
i have - I bought a 3-pack of feminized "creature panic" from Solfire and got a straight up dude - no pistils or herms, complete sausage fest.

As it turns out that was my last purchase from Seedsherenow. Not because of the male/feminized thing but becaue I could tell no one. The customer service bitch would not forward an e-mail to the owner, the breeder, no one, and said she can reimburse me $10 for the bean, and if I don't like it she can just close my account...

Something interesting is that SHN has a policy that no matter how long you do business with them, you get 3 replacements for breeders genetic fuck-ups or duds due to poor storage or any other concern. Mine were already used and I think they store their beans in his garage.

I had the chance to mention it to that James Bean dude in a live chat on some podcast and his reply was I must be a poor grower to need those three replacements.

Fuck SeedsHereNow, James Bean, and that t-wat Becky. Probably his wife or something.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
i have - I bought a 3-pack of feminized "creature panic" from Solfire and got a straight up dude - no pistils or herms, complete sausage fest.

As it turns out that was my last purchase from Seedsherenow. Not because of the male/feminized thing but becaue I could tell no one. The customer service bitch would not forward an e-mail to the owner, the breeder, no one, and said she can reimburse me $10 for the bean, and if I don't like it she can just close my account...

Something interesting is that SHN has a policy that no matter how long you do business with them, you get 3 replacements for breeders genetic fuck-ups or duds due to poor storage or any other concern. Mine were already used and I think they store their beans in his garage.

I had the chance to mention it to that James Bean dude in a live chat on some podcast and his reply was I must be a poor grower to need those three replacements.

Fuck SeedsHereNow, James Bean, and that t-wat Becky. Probably his wife or something.
duly noted, had wondered about shn.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I ever decided to start a business, these might be a product. I know it wasn't too long ago I snipped these and stuck them in a mix of coco, castings and pumice. I added the rooting mico's as well. Anyway, it worked and I got 100% rooted and making new babies. Learning about how they phototrope like every other plant, but that one in the foreground doing the extra reach so it can stretch up is going to have a cool shape.
IMG_4575.JPG
The other thing I noticed is that only a few of the sprouts that were on each blade produced, the rest died off. Like it is self regulating what it will be able to support. So i I catch one at the right time with lots of the sprouts I could prune away most of them selectively so I can keep the shape I want.
IMG_4574.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The missing beans showed up and they were the Bees Knees and not more Ducksfoot.

I'll have a few in the 4/20 drop, but I am leaning towards that being a small drop. I like the concept of taking flower clones, and the extra time it gives you before hafing to re-clone, but not how it changes the growth of the plant. So I'll be waiting until I can take veg clones from everything I wan't before flipping. I see a lot of 4-tops in the near future taking the tops for clones.

This is the one that nudged me into cloning. And if it was a veg clone it might be cool that it bifurcated. Instead I'm waiting for a a real clone to emerge and it will be gone.
IMG_4581.JPG
But overall they are doing well and served their purpose as a test run. 707 Millionaire is probabl the only flower clone I am keeping one of.
T-Star are in the dome.
IMG_4582.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
From the bottom. The only issues sesre the CLHP that popped and got a 1/2" tail then stopped, and The Cream. The two that popped were growing in curly-q under the soil with helmets on. I excavated and got the shells off then covered most of the root. This morning it looks like they may make it.
IMG_4587.JPG
I'll be flipping the two DD shortly but everything seems to be growing slow.
IMG_4583.JPG
The second DD in here was a dude so this tent is set, But the Strawburst is a beast.
IMG_4584.JPG
These are just on cruise control
IMG_4585.JPG

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Everything looks good as usual man..

Just 1 question, do u really find it to b beneficial to start your beans out with a dome over them even after they pop threw soil?
For me when I tried to do it that way they popped outta soil so I pulled off dome and after I got off work I checked on em only to find out majority shriveled up and died ...

Just don't see the need for me to do it that way any longer.. Now they get started in a solo with sum nice seedling mix on a heat mat.. Let the strong survive..

Just was wondering what your thoughts was on them needing to started that way is all, not bashing, just for my own info..
Thx

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Everything looks good as usual man..

Just 1 question, do u really find it to b beneficial to start your beans out with a dome over them even after they pop threw soil?
For me when I tried to do it that way they popped outta soil so I pulled off dome and after I got off work I checked on em only to find out majority shriveled up and died ...

Just don't see the need for me to do it that way any longer.. Now they get started in a solo with sum nice seedling mix on a heat mat.. Let the strong survive..

Just was wondering what your thoughts was on them needing to started that way is all, not bashing, just for my own info..
Thx
It's a good question. I have real low humidity in general, looking at 30-40% inside and it rained 2 days ago. I have had them shrivel and die from that. As soon as they break soil I start opening vents and I add the second tier of dome so it has lots of air inside. rH can stay in the 60's to 70's just by having the dome there.

Over the next few days they get more air and less humidity. When I see the three fingered leaves they are usually good for open air. I think it's why my plants in the 1g take a bit to get going

I would rather lose a weak plant early, or have slower growth than be fighting any VPD battles, No humidifiers or anything.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So this lineup os now set. Good to know that all three The Cream popped, but only one suvived the sideways growth under the soil. The empty one has a 1/2" tail sideways and got buried properly, nothing. Of the other two that had a long root one lived. It had about an inch of white root showing so I covered it with new soil. I did give it a gentle yank and it held - I had others stay green looking just because they were in moist soil but didn't grow. Like a clone with no roots yet. All I need is for it to be a girl though. So the Irie three were struggle-bussers but the 707 popped like champs.
The ND have big fat coty's. All 5 broke soil and got vertical before any of the others. Those will have any normal-leaf plants culled before they leave these cups.
IMG_4588.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For the mom-bank I won't be saving any Ducks. A 16-weeker is gonna have to be really my thing to get me to pop the other 25 beans. And if I do then keeping a clone will be better than beans, since the maturity for flip will already be there in any clone.

Dogma and The Cream were popped specifically to find a keeper, and the Headband cross fem from Freeborn is going go get saved just because. I hav a few more but I have never seen a release of a Mean Gene fem. These might be a one-off, and there must be some reason he wanted to reverse something. I have a few more and if it's keeper material then it will be about checking the other few to find the best.

I only have one "keeper" now that hasn't even rooted (T-star) that I took in veg, and if the 707 Millionaire just because I have so many 707 packs it'll look cool to have a keeper of each. OCD and whatnot LOL

So the 3x3 clone tent has lots of room to grow. I think it will mostly be "smoke-n-culls" that I am keeping in case there's a unicorn. But I have only found one fruity strain that was my bag and that was the Sangria Cookies and it was on the darker side of sweet. There was a fermented dankness smell. So I don't have much hope for the Strwberry Starburst, but it's an easy as hell plant to grow. Same with the Sunkiss, but I do have a thing for some citrus. I haven't had orange yet so who knows.

I have the flower clones of Cowboy Caviar as well but that's a fem, and it's a "staple strain" in cheap packs. Mr Trees makes more when they run out because he likes it. Like the Orange Gasm fems, if I like them after the first try then buying another pack or two seems easier than keeping a mom.

Everything in the closet from the 3/20 drop is vegging until I can take a top for a clone or two lowers - or both.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just had an epiphany!

Because I pretty much stay high, the stronger weed appeals because each hit can cut through whatever lingering buzz there is and it feels "new" like a different trip. So some of the stuff I have labeled as "daytime smoke" just means it needs to be the wake-n-bake. I spent the morning with one of those strains and got a lot done - even smoking on it while doing stuff - but it was good. After which I could hit the Chem91 and get ripped again.

I usually keep a few strains ground up and bowl ready in small quantities, but think limiting that assortment to one of the 'killlers' and the rest 'daytime' stuff I can weed out the ones that aren't great for either easier. This will be more important when I am ditching mom plants.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The clones are all doing nice. T-star just cupped but in the dome with vents open acclimatizing. I had an idea for the next round of clones. Castings. Those plugs can dry out but it's hard to tell without lifting them. Mainly because of the heat mat. I knew the T-star were rooting because the leaves yellowed. Roots need nutes. But if those were setting on a bed of castings for the roots to start chewing on until you get around to potting them, or waiting on some slow ones to catch up, the yellowing might not happen.
IMG_4594.JPG
I also noticed that the plants seem to be just frowing, not re-vegging. I see no wierd leaves or single-blade sprouts, they are just stretching
IMG_4596.JPG
These got soaked for the first time, and I added the little muffin fan to move air with the dome closed.
IMG_4603.JPG
The calendar is nonexistent from now on in here. When they can be cloned (if they are) then they can move on to flower. The Columbians and the Sour are killing it. Lemon Tree is squat but stretching enough not to be a bitch. 2 Cherrywest are back middle and left and they seem slow and finicky. The mini-me is the 707 Catpiss and I don't think I'll want a clone of that particular plant. It will propably flip soon just so I can get a taste.
IMG_4600.JPG
I had up-potted the Delerium Dog and T-star before they showed. The DD was a dude and is gone but his pack-mates showed enough 4-top growth the flip. I too several jurassic leaves off the younger plants - it has worked so far. The Morning Brew pack right is turning nicely, gonna be a quick one.
IMG_4598.JPG
These showed no issues with me taking leaves. I'm not worried as much about shade as I am the tops below the leaves growing into them, then as the leaf prays and droops it squishes the branch into wierd shapes.
IMG_4599.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On the flower clones and future veg clones, having two or more and only needing to keep one means a batch of clone smoke to see how that compares to the mom. If I am keeping it, then I have no problem with flowering all but one of the clones for that.

I think that will be for very few though, and usually it will be just one or two clones like the extra T-star and maybe the Millionaire. But I could end up with a situation where I have 6 Dogma clones, all three plants are girls, and I have plenty of flower from the three moms. I think flowering a clone would be helpful in choosing a keeper but it could be really small.
  • I got a Wak-it grinder because I love gadgets.
  • I inadvertently bought a few classification sifters that were too small to be much use compared to one that can fit on a 5g bucket.
  • When the Wak-it arrived, there was a brochure or email or something that showed a funnel attachment with a screen.
  • If you set flower on a flat surface it will keep beating stuff that don't need beat instead of just breaking down what is big.
  • The ball-chain is not long enough to get caught in the grid, which allows stuff to fall through as it is small enough.
  • The teflon bowl it from a one-serving rice cooker that shit the bed.
IMG_4605.JPG IMG_4607.JPG
Used as advertised it works, but I wouldn't use it for my primo, just the daytime smoke I am doing pre-rolls of. And for that it is good.
What is better is using it over the grid. It separated individual calyxes without shredding them like a grinder - and since it's all getting smoked if it knocks a little kief off who cares? It's a much more chunky but uniform "grind" so it rolls a little different, but actually smokes better.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The mom tent. The T-star just now have roots hitting the side of the cup so they'll stay domes another day or two with all the vents open so they don't wilt. The Cowboy Caviar is now in the running for a keeper - more on that later LOL
IMG_4608.JPG
The seedlings are rolling along no more dome tonight and we'll see what happens. They get stuck in the veg closet 4/20 when I drop beans.
IMG_4609.JPG
The Cream will be fine after an up-pot hides the curly-Q. I was going to cover that with more soil and said screw it.
IMG_4611.JPG
The ND will have to put out a few nodes so I am sure what I am looking at. I am only keeping a duckfoot variety, then we worry about sex later
IMG_4610.JPG
Rolling here too. The Irene look to be first to flip. They have good lower branching, and taking mini-clones like on the T-star wasn't bad at all.
IMG_4613.JPG
The Delirium Dog look like shit, rootbound but starting to show sex noe. In a few days hopefully one will get a big pot of soil. The Straw-burst back left is gonna have golfballs top to bottom.
IMG_4614.JPG
And this is why I may keep the Cowboy
IMG_4625.JPG
I snipped a few shade leaves, and I always crumple one up for the smell and this was cinnamon. Cat likes it too. She's back left, pretty frosty.
IMG_4618.JPG
She also looks to be a quicker finisher
IMG_4621cc.JPG
I say kind of frosty because this is the Millionaire from the center.
IMG_4622m.JPG