The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I pulled that little "compost" pile and it was not. there were still layers of undecomposed leaves. What it does have is a fat colony of worms. I saw at least 5 different species just based on size color and how they acted. There are some fat earthworms towards the bottom.

Right or wrong I am spreading it out over the raw soil as mulch. The worms will find a home. Now I am to the point I can fence it in and get started.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What I had was sturdy cage panels that are just held together with long spikes like a door hinge. It was advertised as a compost bin, but since it has airflow all around it doesn't heat up enough to get thermophillic. That said it als stays aerobic so it's great as a temporary worm bin. Especially if I want to collect them to take elsewhere.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Crazy stuff. 28 days - flip - two days later and the tallest plant center/rear is already showing girly parts. Up-potting tomorrow. Got the tent cleaned out so these will probably all shift to make room for the babies in the mini tent [*insert lion kink song 'circle of life' here] 😜
IMG_4248.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Delirium Dog were a bad investment. The great description must have been written by an A.I. bot that never saw the weed...
6 beans, 5 "plants", 9 coty's, 4 somewhat seed leaves.
Good plants left, DD middle, and the Chembag
IMG_4282.JPG
I have the Cowboy Caviar and BOTH Sunkiss girls here. The shade leaves were making the branches grow fucked up so they got the axe.
IMG_4276.JPG
These are the unknowns with a few likely boys already showing, probably some culls tonight.
IMG_4277.JPG
And the remaining older plants after chopping the Mountain Berry and the Deep Chunk last night. The Deep Chunk is shit. Probably won't even make it to edibles. I'll look at the progress on drying but the most likely result is mold - so it'll probably hit the bowl trimmer. I keep it around for shit like that. The Chem Power and Thunderhole on the right look to be 10+ week plants. The ladies (Pam and Amy) on the left are on trich watch anmd gone any day. Fans are pre-trimmed to get the last bit of light on the lowers.
IMG_4278.JPG
I used heavy-gauge rubber coated wire to LST the two lowest/widest limbs on her around to one side so she can be a good corner plant. The rest all have wires supporting them to the main trunk. Not hlding any weight up yet but I see that happening, this is a beautiful plant.
IMG_4280.JPG
She finallyh has a sprinkling of brown pistils - and they are dark brown. She should look nice done.
IMG_4281.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Tomorrow (14th) is ten weeks on the Thunderhole. My math has been off by a week lol. I think she'll be the longest running plant I've had so far.
That means that the Chem Power, the Amy and the Pam I chopped tonight were just about 10 weeks. The moon was all it took to milk everything up. It also bodes well for the T-hole going another few weeks to the new moon. I don't think it has another month in it but maybe. I added a few handfulls of castings when I watered her. In here we also have the Cowbow Caviar fem under the fan, and the two Sunkiss regs that are girls.
IMG_4317.JPG
I should get to satisfy my Irie fruit curiosity because the Strawberry Starburst (far left above fan) that's left is a girl too. Toss in the Orange Gasm and the Golden Goat fems and I should have a good assortment. A few look boyish on the others but nothing cull-worthy.
IMG_4304.JPG
The Delirium Dogshit plants may end up making a flower in a few months...
IMG_4303.JPG
But the rest of that drop are fine. Top Dawg gave me a dud, but also the biggest plant of the lot.
IMG_4323.JPG
But then there's the payoff. I always weigh wet so I can use the 20-25% dry weight as a barometer for when they are done drying. So far hanging the whole plant they seem to stop losing weight around the 25% mark, then the other 5% is ptrobably the stems. These 8 totaled 1730g wet, so between 12 and 15 oz dry.
IMG_4318.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
March 21st (new) and April 6th. (full)

That means only 3 weeks to the next full moon, and I betcha the Thunderhole looks done or close then.

I have beans showing up today. The Coastal Irene Columbian and the 707 Catpiss will get two each dropped. I was gonna tackle freebies but I have the Freeborn Cherrywest that will show up in the next week as well. Closet is empty and off, clone 3x3 is off. I think the only thing holding me back from dropping my 'future mom' packs is the tomatoes and peppers and veggies. All the outie stuff is gone before anything I want to clone is big enough.

Even if everything I flipped is girls I have room in the two tents. for them all. I may drop 3 of each of those three and start the mom hunt. Or stick with two each and add a few more strains.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So you just removed the rice hulls and rocks sprinkled in the castings and covered the T-hole back up? She is looking voluptuous, you really think she needs another few weeks?
I pulled the lettuce aside and put the castings around the outer edge where I water most. As far as another few weeks, she has almost no brown pistils yet. I'm more worried about her going sideways because of the small pot and tossing nanners.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hope she finishes without issues amigo
Me too, but I know the drawbacks if this style of growing - the small pots I mean. I got 3/4 of a lb to mess with in 8 different flavors. This is the last of the big drop where I thought I wanted to make pollen on purpose. Should die back down to a dull roar now.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Is the variety helping you find your "dope" on the project at least?

If she provides the good good close to the CHP is she still worth the wait?
Here's the thing. I have only been smoking atuff I knew what it was for a few years. I still have no certainty as to what I like or don't, and it all comes from me growing it. I don't go to the dispo to try the latest and greatest fire strains. I buy beans and wait 3-4 months.

Having a few that I know are reliable fire and good for me allows me to hunt through other stuff without worrying about losing "the one".

Just remember, the best smoke you have ever had is only the best smoke YOU have ever had. ;) Never know if that next plant might be another winner.

I have probably killed and smoked what many people would call keepers. Oh Well... I still have beans left in all those packs and I know a semi-direction I want to look to for a stable of keeper moms. But even then I'll always be dropping more beans - I just like the unknown!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
At some point after I get started I'll definitely keep a CLHP mom, but I'll probably keep dropping the hundred beans I have and replacing the mom with new ones and maybe finding phenos! LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You got to be in it, to win it. Like the lotto
Now that I have several go-to's and a lot of fire genetics that I have invested in, and it is an investment, I also have no problem sticking some pretty buds in the hash bin or the give-away jar just because the punch ain't there for me. For my law of averages, if I get one or two plants out of that 8 that are fire that's a win. Might be fire in the rest of the pack for the others, but I know it's in a few.

I think the ones I'll be looking to clone are the ones without a lot of genetics in there. I have a bunch of 707 stuff now, and i think mainly from two pollen donors. Their 707 Chemdawg male and the Kush Cleaner male. Those are both full of great smoke but they ar hit to the ones I would like to clone. So the Lemon Tree, and the Catpiss are the mom hunts.

There will be exceptions, like the Trinity x Chem crosses from 707 and from Top Dawg. Those are like the same thing done y two breeders, and the 707 Dogma is my jam. If the T-Star has the same profile it'll be a cloner and I'll probably rotate moms as I find better.

But the other thing is that I will likely never flower those clones. I have a metric shit-ton of seeds now. I can justify my 3x3 for preservation, it's been off for 3 months now and only a 100w light set at 80w plus a fan for electricity. The up-keep is the only issue. But unless I am dying for some "X" and have no more beans to pop the mom's will just be clonse of clones projects to keep them small.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Two plants were dry. The Burnside got bucked and jarred, the mystery plant that was a homecoming queen or cowboy caviar got frozen except the 4 tops. Very airy and larfy. Smells great but there was almost no density except the tops. I kept the tops mainly to see where the frozen stuff should end up.
IMG_4330.JPG
The Burnside has a woodsy/perfumy OG smell. Gonna dig into some larf later and check that out.
IMG_4329.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
One thing I noticed checking multiple plants for dryness it the stem temp. I'll be damned if the ones that aren't dry yet don't feel cooler than the dry ones. Both that were ready felt room-temp and the other that was hung the same day still feels cooler - I might be stoned or I might be on to something - or BOTH! 😜