The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have the new beans in cups in the mini tent. I went with the regular 19oz beer cups, and I should be able to keep this batch in the mini tent for a while if needed. Because I am going to be cloning now I am not just doing the auto-flip at 4 weeks. Soe will though and 4 weeks is Monday. It's decision time.
IMG_4111.JPG
There are things I know I like, and stuff I am trying. There is not much I am just trying that I am worried about cloning. I am not looking for breeding cuts, just keeping a few houseplants long term in case I want more of that smoke.

For fems, how will I know unless I grow out another fem - while keeping that mom in veg and getting tired of that strain and ditching the mom and not cloning the next one. Big circle jerk. For fems when I get down to the last few beans I'll know if I want to buy more or take a cut.

For regs, if I have seeds left karma will let me find another to keep when I drop the pack. Knowing if the strain is still available from a breeder or will be restocked in the future or whatever, I'll buy another pack instead of the hassle of keeping a mom. So for Irie, The Cream will be a mom hunt. Everything else I can buy more for now - so I need to try everything while packs are available.

That leaves unicorns like the Chembag that need cloned. Freebies and stuff will more likely be cloned than name brand shit. If it's that good, they'll make more. Also the CLG stuff that I don't have lots of. I have 5 Dank Sinatra regs left but the only bud I have tried was not well grown. Had a good germ rate still though so not cloning this run unless something impresses me. .

For this batch I think it boils down to cloning the Chem91 Bagseed, and maybe the Millionaire mutant if that pulls through and is a girl. Those will be the only two I want to see clonable material on before I flip instead of hoping it shows up during stretch.

This has been fueled by the just dried and bucked Chemdog. It is good. It is what I wanted already and I have enough to smoke on for a while. BUT I think I can always buy another pack if I am jonesing for it that bad. I'd rather find it in packs I already have that are crossed with it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Chemdog was a three hour tour of leaf plucking.

I just snipped the base of each nug to get leaf-stem and nug-stem so nothing's connected. The top 4" or so on the eight limbs got lovingly manicured and set aside. After that I'm done with scissors. I got the gloves on and just went to plucking. leaves to the bowl on one side for dry sift, everything else to the other for smoke. The bud-bowl has my 1/2" and 1/4" bucket grids on it.

after all that I snipped apart the tops into one part of the bin for the long cure. The other side has the >1/2" stuff, and the middle I get to smoke on now. It should last until stuff is cured since I have a little bit more smoke available.
IMG_4129.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am glad I put all this down - I re-read it and see if it makes sense or if I forgot something.

The big picture... I grow small plants so I can see a lot of stuff, but mainly because I have living soil and am sticking with small pots.

This mean I can also use the cloning for more smoke of a particular strain right away if it's something I have every indication I'll like - the Trinity x Stardawg for example. I still need to grow small plants but I think I will want more than a little of the smoke. I wish I had cloned the Dogma or put it in a larger pot.

But it also means I can't dick around waiting on something to get limbs so I can take a clone.

I have three 7g pots available now so that might be the fallback for a longer veg plant. But I think that'll be for known fire rather than hopefuls.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am happy to see temps predicted to drop to the 20's F again next week. Justifies me waiting until now to start the 'maters ;)

I poked some peas in the ground since it says "4-6 weeks before frost" or a fall crop. Probably could have gone in earlier. Learning for next year and taking notes.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is my "fuck the grocery store" corner. Everything from tomatoes and peppers to indoor lettuce and celery, spring garlic and some beautiful organic ginger I found at the store. pretty flowers, pollenator attractors - the works. Everything that can't get planted in the ground, and some stuff that can, but having one representative plant near the sewn seeds is better than a plant tag. for stuff I am not worried about reproducing. Turmeric on the stool because it wasn't digging the close light.
IMG_4133.JPG
A couple of things of note. The best way to keep the cat from fucking with stuff is on the bottom shelves. The garlic and ginger that are not up yet and need no light have an over the sink dishrack covering them. The best option is cat grass ;) I planted some sprouting barley in a ramen tray LOL

I found some relatively cheap injection-molded window planters to start a lettuce rotation after everything else moves outdoors. Worked out to less than $3.50 a planter (10-pack) and they're sturdy with trays that are not attached. Checked out one set, ordered two more.
Amazon.com: Romooa 10 Pack Window Planter Box, 17 inch Rectangular Flower Planter Boxes with Tray for Indoor and Outdoor Flower Balcony Windowsill Patio Garden (Multicolor) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A few quickies before I get to gardening. The Glessner tobacco I didn't even pop a pod open. I put the pods in bedder storage then sprikled the gnat-shit in the package on about an inch of wet potting soil. It says they have to stay wet until they get pretty big.
IMG_4163.JPG
I'm giving it a few dasy then plucking a few out to put in individual cups. What I read showed them removing them and some soil about this stage so I may try a few different ages.

IMG_4165.JPG
On the seedling side, this is a few hours before lights out and everything is hiding from the light. I just watered them last night and they were praying like dirty sinners before I hit the sack. The AC Infinity "3x3" light (I think 250w?) was at 80%, it's now at 60% and I'll see how they look tomorrow about this time. DLI.
IMG_4167.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I fired up the heat mat and I have more beans waiting on warm water. I am dropping one each of the 3 Irie fems I got and the remaining 4 Delirium Dog. I got a dud and a wierdo that may do fine, but with 4 beans left it they're all wonky I'll get a refund or another pack to try.

From the last batch of 11 beans dropped I have 5 and a possible. One TripleSec was a helmet head and the coty's don't seem to want to open. I got it moist and made sure there was no inner seed-skin holding it closed. I guess the 707 "adventure" is to find beans that crack? 25% germ on 4. Those were freebies so I can't bitch about that.

The T-star from Top Dawg was 50/50 germ on two but had zero extra beans in the pack. When a seed-seller tosses extra in the pack I'm not as likely to bitch about duds. even if it dips into the ones I paid for, as long as the girls I get are worth it.

The Trinity in the Dogma fired me up, so I am hoping the T-Star will be another version of Trinity on Chem that is my jam. That means it may bump up on the "drop a pack and find a keeper" list, in case that needs a refund as well.

They haven't picked up the mail on my Dagga order but I have the tracking so it should be here by Thursday or Friday. I'm dropping two of those Irene as soon as that rolls in, and we'll see if any freebies compel immediate moisture.

I hate heat mats, so since I have it fired up again I am starting some Dwarf Moringa which needs warm water for a few days to germ the seeds. And since I am getting more beans to drop in a few days I have some Lions Ear flowers in a little dome on the same mat. They need the heat to get started.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just had a random idea for my not-wanting-to-mom clone project. I can pick a few of the strains I know I don't get tired of (yet) and drop a few of them each drop, instead of the pack or half-pack thing. Basically splitting a pack into three or four drops, doing that in succession so I have side-by-side on what I might want to keep, but I have variety by doing that with a few packs at once. Just off the top of my head:
707 Lemon Tree, 707 Catpiss, 707 Dogma, Irie The Cream, Aficianado Truffles, Swamp Boys Mojito

I think starting the program and getting into it as a "keeper houseplant" that I may never use will help if it's some strains I am fired up about and will have the desire to keep them going.

After that if it becomes habit and I get a good system it'll be a snap for other stuff that may have that unicorn hiding in it but is no longer available.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FWIW the small pot thing seems to have worked getting the shorter plants to stretch a little. Both the Dank Sinatra and the Morning Brew are taller than the pots they are in, as are several of the 1g plants. Maybe the roots hitting bottom triggers something? I doubt the shorties would have stretched as much while rooting in a larger pot. Not curious enough to do side by sides LOL

I got in there the other day and removed all the seed leaves and their limbs. Looking at my tweener plants I have none that have enough lateral branching to bother topping unless I want to wait another week to flip. I'll be growing a forest of trees. The only two I'll be holding back are the Chembag and the mutant Millionaire.

Lots of rearranging to do tonight. I want to leave the closet in veg if I can fit enough littles in the big girl tents. I have the large prop-dome with the mini-fan I can set in the empty space in the closet, so I can have a sealed dome for the babies...

Stoner notes I will reefer to later. :cool:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
"Steal, borrow, reefer - save your shady inference"
If no one got the previous reeference it's from the Tool song The Pot - which is about lawyers and not weed - shady inference ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Reeferring to the previous post I think flippingn the closet is gonna be easier, and shifting two plants elsewhere, like the mini tent.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have been watching 3 plants for ripeness, and they have had the milk, but not enough to have that powdered sugar look.
Here's an historical pic of my tent before I checked trichs on the UK Cheese. The other two were already pulled. This has three plants now.
IMG_4208.JPG
The Burnside (left) is done, and the mystery plant (right) is a Homecoming Queen. That ain't no OG. Pretty stoked.
IMG_4212.JPG
The Burnside will have the best dry-sift I think. There were rails on the fan's I trimmed.
IMG_4218.JPG
These are my chunky girls. Pam and Amy, the Mountain Berry and the other Homecoming Queen.
IMG_4209.JPG
These for fed and flipped
IMG_4201.JPG
And the Chembag got topped. Room in here for another small prop dome for the seeds wet today.
IMG_4199.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I forgot to make my random point. I got done trimming fans and hanging those three, twisted one and went outside to chill - and there is a full moon.

I have got to believe there's more to it than coincidence. I have been seeing an amber here and there, but lots of clear until tonight.

I wonder how many of the remaining plants have two weeks left in them to make it to the new moon.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's the 6 survivors of 11 that went down.
IMG_4219.JPG
And the 'mutant' looked kind of cool at first, now it just looks unhealthy. Like this closest side of the plant is not growing right. The more I look the more I think "cull". I usually have pretty good instincts. This could be the male that was getting culled anyway and the regular one is the girl! It was a free pack as well. I got one for two so I think we don't tempt fate.
IMG_4224.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll post some pics tomorrow. All afternoon working in the outside garden moving more dirt around. Then I had to water everything, up-pot the Cowboy Caviar, harvest the Homecoming Queen, and in between I had a medicated dinner because I knew my old ass would need sleepy meds.

It kicked in...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The current lineup
Orange Gasm was first up in the second batch. The Delirium Dog is a mutant. It has something growing though.
IMG_4239.JPG
The flipped regs
IMG_4239.JPG
And a crappy pic but it shows how the assorted lights are rigged for plant height - sort of. The Cowboy Caviar was the only fem flipped so she got new shoes early. Still not a single browm pistil on the Thunderhole, and only a few on the Chem Power. The others are gone this week. 9 weeks tomorrow on most. IMG_4243.JPG

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My OCD ass couldn't let the half-buried boulder on the hill stay half buried... I now have a good sized pile of mostly clay soil that will get mixed with the compost/leaf pile behind it. I needed more room for all the tomatoes I have started. The tentative plan is to excavate a little hole for each plant and fill it with the compost/soil mix during transplant. That or mound them up with it. Or a little of both.
IMG_4244.JPG
The Bonnie cups are 5 each of the Bread and Salt slicing tomato and the Pink Fang roma type paste tomato. The rest will be one-offs to see what I like. I tried this last year and got shit because of planting everything out too early. There's a few tomatillo thrown in and the lower rack has both hot and sweet peppers. I have a sunnier spot in the front yard that may be a new pepper garden. Fuck grass.
IMG_4246.JPG