The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Looks great looks like your smoker is insulated? I need to replace my 15 yr old master built its uninsulated and winter smoking requires using a sleeping bag lol
It's made well, cleans up easy, but I don't know about how insulated it is. It still hasn't reached full temp (350) so it's good that I'm not looking for that. I think the cooler temps probably have something to do with that.

I love the smoke, but I'm not a purist about a lot of things. I have a chicken that's been brining and I'm thinking about doing an hour or two of smoke then finishing it in the oven.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Montreal steak seasoning or Chicago steak seasoning is a staple in the cupboard.
I've used Montreal steak seasoning for years but the other night I wanted to try something different. I seasoned the steak with coarse sea salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika and it was so good. I rubbed down some baked potatoes with olive oil and seasoned them the same way and they were tasty too.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Montreal steak seasoning or Chicago steak seasoning is a staple in the cupboard.
I've used Montreal steak seasoning for years but the other night I wanted to try something different. I seasoned the steak with coarse sea salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika and it was so good. I rubbed down some baked potatoes with olive oil and seasoned them the same way and they were tasty too.
I'm not brand particular. I look at the ingredients and they are mostly the same. There's usually a different flavor for beef, pork, chicken, and sometimes a specific rib-rub If you look at what they charge and look at the ingredients a fat box of coarse salt and one of peppercorns and you're halfway there - for any of them. Garlic powder, onion powder, and coarse or brown sugar and you have a basic rub. Then you can root through the spice rack and have fun.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I'm not brand particular. I look at the ingredients and they are mostly the same. There's usually a different flavor for beef, pork, chicken, and sometimes a specific rib-rub If you look at what they charge and look at the ingredients a fat box of coarse salt and one of peppercorns and you're halfway there - for any of them. Garlic powder, onion powder, and coarse or brown sugar and you have a basic rub. Then you can root through the spice rack and have fun.
1\3 oregano
1/3 paprika
1/3 salt
1/6 garlic powder
1/6 black pepper

We used this on souvlaki at a Greek restaurant. Lamb and pork. But I use it as a dry rub for steak. A little Evo and vinegar to taste.
Remember where ya heard it!!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
1\3 oregano
1/3 paprika
1/3 salt
1/6 garlic powder
1/6 black pepper

We used this on souvlaki at a Greek restaurant. Lamb and pork. But I use it as a dry rub for steak. A little Evo and vinegar to taste.
Remember where ya heard it!!
Yeah, I think when you go with the herbs it's better to stick with one or two or they get muddled and don't taste like any of them.

I like to smoke some of the spices for using on inside cooking. To step it up you decarb some weed and wash it with everclear, then dump that in a pan of coarse salt. stir it until the alcohol evaporates and you have canna-salt. The salt does not disolve in alcohol, sugar either.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
First I was thinking condensation. Bad for both.
Second, it is basically THC oil and the condiment. Not much to go bad other than losing potency?
I find that there's still a wif of alcohol when I open the jar, and I don't think that's bad.
The stuff will stick together, but it sifts back apart easy and isn't melted into clumps.

Also, after the first batch with regular sugar I made the rest with large/coarse sugar and salt. Less surface area but less chance of a little humidity fucking it up.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I like this more than I thought I would. Because I am keeping the soil slightly moist for the cover crop, rice-hulls, and worms there's no worries about making mud in the bottom while trying to keep the surface layer moist.
IMG_6898.JPG
Took two more fan leaves off each BCL. Fantastic looking plants. Several nice limbs stretched to the lower canopy and are in the process of making their own yuuuge fans. I will be pruning the lower future-larf stuff next.
IMG_6899.JPG
The Orgi have darker leaves, and small enough that they raise and lower to give the undergrowth light. All the secondary limbs on those are short and close to the stem, so taking fan leaves wouldn't really do much.
IMG_6901.JPG

Last edited:

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
I think I like this more than I thought I would. Because I am keeping the soil slightly moist for the cover crop, rice-hulls, and worms there's no worries about making mud in the bottom while trying to keep the surface layer moist.
View attachment 100514
Took two more fan leaves off each BCL. Fantastic looking plants. Several nice limbs stretched to the lower canopy and are in the process of making their own yuuuge fans. I will be pruning the lower future-larf stuff next.
View attachment 100515
The Orgi have darker leaves, and small enough that they raise and lower to give the undergrowth light. All the secondary limbs on those are short and close to the stem, so taking fan leaves wouldn't really do much.
View attachment 100516
looking real good, haf i'm bout 3and 1/2 weeks behind you ,nice knowing what to expect out of the two strains, have allways been bag seed or least probelm to get em from, this is COOL! my old head never thought i'd be trying this agin after all the fails.thing are looking real good right now,on the home front.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Haven't mentioned it much, but my IPM is basically the worms/castings and the beneficial buggies that go with that. I have zero gnats now, and washing the last batch that I was so worried about, I think the beneficial bugs I saw on the leaves ate the bad stuff and left, because there was nothing in the water like that.

I am using Plant Therapy about once a week in veg, and per @J.James recommendation I also now innoculate with Beauveria Bassiana once a month (did that today is why I posted this).

What I feed it when I brew the sprout teas has LAB culture in it which also helps out on te microbial level.

If they continue to work then I only have two storebought products. Both are rather pricey, but both last a long damn time in my size grow.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
looking real good, haf i'm bout 3and 1/2 weeks behind you ,nice knowing what to expect out of the two strains, have allways been bag seed or least probelm to get em from, this is COOL! my old head never thought i'd be trying this agin after all the fails.thing are looking real good right now,on the home front.
They are still testers, so even though they are fems I'll be keeping an eye out for tranny issues after they start showing, but I haven't had issues with other fems from JJ herming. Unless it's a strain thing I think we're cool.

I flipped at one month - a week ago - and they BCL were about a foot tall. the Orgi were about 10" and 8", and that goes for the height and general diameter of the plant when I flipped. The big ones were about a foot across, the others less. the runty one was dropped a few days later after I had a dud, so don't count on a lot of height difference based on what you see, I just flipped everything at the same time.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
They are still testers, so even though they are fems I'll be keeping an eye out for tranny issues after they start showing, but I haven't had issues with other fems from JJ herming. Unless it's a strain thing I think we're cool.

I flipped at one month - a week ago - and they BCL were about a foot tall. the Orgi were about 10" and 8", and that goes for the height and general diameter of the plant when I flipped. The big ones were about a foot across, the others less. the runty one was dropped a few days later after I had a dud, so don't count on a lot of height difference based on what you see, I just flipped everything at the same time.
bcl is @about 5-6 in. orji is at about3 1/2 tall looking good ! autos in tp last run lost seeds , now i have autos growing with everything else.

Last edited: