The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is the new soil pot, that hasn't run a plant yet. I have one small tub of soil left unused that I am saving for the bottom of seedling cups. This seems to be a better plan, having the cover crop established before the up-pot. When the closet clears out I'll have it re-starting the cover crop on the other 4 pots for this run. I can already see radishes in this batch of seeds. Different source, I like it better than the other mix from build-a-soil.

Amazon.com : No-Till OverWinter Cover Crop Ten-Seed Mix (5-lb. Bag): [Austrian Winter Peas, Hairy Vetch, Daikon Radish, Forage Collards, Triticale, Wheat Rye, Berseem & Crimson Clover, Yellow Mustard, Fenugreek] : Patio, Lawn & Garden
IMG_6359.JPG
Having the cup in the middle filled with water has been an attraction to the worms. I can pull it to check the soil moisture, and there's always a few worms by the cool cup.

That cup in the middle of the pot is a great idea H.A.F. (y)

Stoner thoughts: If you got some beans you know/trust once you had a pot perfect and humming like you got it now I would just remove the cup and fill it with your best seedling soil and then direct sow your trusted seed into it. It would never know any stress/pause of growth from being up potted.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

Stoner thoughts: If you got some beans you know/trust once you had a pot perfect and humming like you got it now I would just remove the cup and fill it with your best seedling soil and then direct sow your trusted seed into it. It would never know any stress/pause of growth from being up potted.
That ain't a bad idea, and I thought about that.

Plus
- no wondering if you let it get too big or rootbound
Minus
- watering. Generally keeping a tiny plant at the right moisture level in a big pot sucks
- controlling humidity in a dome is easier, mine here is low.
Mitigating factors
- living soil needs to stay moist anyway, not letting it go through dry cycles.
- a cup over the seedling area would work for humidity.

The cover crop is one sidebar on that. When I have a few extra pots going I plan to rotate them and use the empty pot as a clue to drop a bean.

1 Harvest then do whatever with the stem of the old plant (seeing what works best now)
2 Renew cover crop, feed worms. Probably add a new avocado at this point then another at/after flip.
3 Drop replacement bean

If I can keep the 4-5 plant veg thing going and time it right I can cycle through more plants than doing big drops then waiting on harvests for the next drop.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random shit

I am going to be vegging for 5 weeks max, less if the plants look ready. Since I am growing trees I don't want height to be a factor and I don't want big plants.

I read about a brilliant hack to turn a regular cloth pot into a 'living soil' pot that doesn't evaporate through the sides - wrap it in plastic on the outside. Since I am playing with the "smaller than recommended" pot thing anyway I am considering trying a 3 gallon and see where that goes. I might actually drop another bean if I have the stuff on hand to do that.

Using the fresh castings with baby worms in the solo cups seems to be working fine. I am hoping that the little things like that speed up the veg.

The cover crop roots in the seedling cup make it so you can't tell how the weed roots are doing, another no-vote for that in the future if I use the cups. But if I plant right in the pots that won't matter :unsure: but having that center area in the pot clear of cover crop still seems like a better idea. It's just gonna gert shaded and die anyway.

Sooooo I think cutting the center of the rootball out after harvesting a plant might be the way to go. Solo-cup size wouldn't matter if I am planting the bean in there which means that I could just carve out the taproot.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

I put both of my stages in the final pot from the start so the soil can get nice and established and I don't have to disturb it when I transplant. It makes it a lot easier to transplant, too, because you don't have to worry about digging out too little or too much.
2021-08-15_CarmellaSoprano_and_CoalTrainKush-04.jpg

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Amazon.com : No-Till OverWinter Cover Crop Ten-Seed Mix (5-lb. Bag): [Austrian Winter Peas, Hairy Vetch, Daikon Radish, Forage Collards, Triticale, Wheat Rye, Berseem & Crimson Clover, Yellow Mustard, Fenugreek] : Patio, Lawn & Garden

HAF. use some caution with hairy vetch if you ever dump your mix into compost or garden it can become a noxious weed in some areas like mine I used it in my garden and she got out of hand for awhile...
Good info. I actually have no clue which seed is which, but I sifted out the big peas and a few large odd-shaped ones. Didn't want to end up with a handfull of larger plants competing. I may toss one of each in a pot or something, percentage wise there's weren't many.

There were literally about 50 (in 5lbs) that looked like mini red kidney beans from the store. There were two others that also had a minimal amount and were large. Probably the minimum requirement for them to list it as an ingredient.

I was gonna sort a few of each kind out and grow them to see what's what - but then I got high 😁

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This came up in another thread about the time spent in the garden. My lights came on at 7pm. I checked everything, stared for a while, rearranged a little, and I snipped 4 fan leaves on the UK Cheese that were shading a lot of tops. 7:30 and I'm fucking bored now. That's why there's lots of pics and updates on here.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I'm using that little wine fridge for weed I am trying cold curing as well as just storage. Big mason jars are not a good space-saving option for a tiny space, and the C-vaults being round have the same issue but at least they are stackabe. I found some "bento box" lunch boxes on amazon that seem stellar. About $20 per container but that's cheaper than the c-vault.
IMG_6364.JPG
The big one is 1400ml (their size dscriptions) is my primo headstash, then 1200ml and 800ml. I like the smaller two better and am getting more. The C-vault is a 'large' for size comparison. This was just during a burp session.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I kept out a little marble size chunk of that bubble hash run to try. It is about 70%-melt if that makes sense. You could dab it but there would be about 20-30% of the matter left afterwards you'd have to clean out.

Holding a flame close it bubbles like crazy and you can get a few dab-type terp-hits before it combusts.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think that is a good testament to the pre-soak, and I think that makes getting hash from cured bud more appealing. The quality is definitely there, and you've been smoking on the bud so you know the properties. I think the return is probably crap compared to fresh or fresh-frozen but I think it could bring the spark back to that half a jar you lost interest in because of the new fire.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
These girls seem to be loving the veg spectrum light in flower. Still moving them as soon as I can though. The back left is the #1 pheno Vin Santo. Stem rub on it smells like bubblegum. Either the Hubba Bubba or one of those other soft gums. I think the combo of that and the regular weed smells is giving it the overall cinnamon smell in the room. The ChemD (back right) is funky on the stem rubs, but nothing much on flower smells yet. Watered everything last night and trimmed the lowest two fans off each one.
IMG_6407.JPG

The babies are doing good except for the one I paid for :unsure: :rolleyes:
I still need to dial in the ammount of cover crop seeds to use. I swear that was a fairly thing coating... That pot is definitely gonna need a plant with some stretch.
IMG_6415.JPG
The replacement Orgi is catching up nicely and having the cover crop this early does remove some of the over-watering concerns. I've been able to water them every other day for almost a week which means I have been able to give them a variety of little extras in low doses. Aloe, coconut water, and most recently an innoculant mix with recharge (microbes), VAM endo (fungal) myco mix, and Beauveria Bassiana Plus Powder (IPM). maybe a 1/16th tsp of each in a pint. just enough to get things started well.
IMG_6409.JPG
The initial worm castings was a goood idea, the baby worms are visible in the clear cups. Adding larger worms was a bad idea, they all climbed out and were in the puddles in the tray. The three testers that went in the same day could be triplets.
IMG_6413.JPG
But the damn $8/bean feminized CBD SAGE looks like a fucking dud. Wierd cup leaf looking thing. I'll wait and see if it sprouts, but am probably dropping another, and an email to Aaron at seedsherenow in case I need a replacement later.
IMG_6412.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
These girls seem to be loving the veg spectrum light in flower. Still moving them as soon as I can though. The back left is the #1 pheno Vin Santo. Stem rub on it smells like bubblegum. Either the Hubba Bubba or one of those other soft gums. I think the combo of that and the regular weed smells is giving it the overall cinnamon smell in the room. The ChemD (back right) is funky on the stem rubs, but nothing much on flower smells yet. Watered everything last night and trimmed the lowest two fans off each one.
View attachment 99199

The babies are doing good except for the one I paid for :unsure: :rolleyes:
I still need to dial in the ammount of cover crop seeds to use. I swear that was a fairly thing coating... That pot is definitely gonna need a plant with some stretch.
View attachment 99203
The replacement Orgi is catching up nicely and having the cover crop this early does remove some of the over-watering concerns. I've been able to water them every other day for almost a week which means I have been able to give them a variety of little extras in low doses. Aloe, coconut water, and most recently an innoculant mix with recharge (microbes), VAM endo (fungal) myco mix, and Beauveria Bassiana Plus Powder (IPM). maybe a 1/16th tsp of each in a pint. just enough to get things started well.
View attachment 99200
The initial worm castings was a goood idea, the baby worms are visible in the clear cups. Adding larger worms was a bad idea, they all climbed out and were in the puddles in the tray. The three testers that went in the same day could be triplets.
View attachment 99202
But the damn $8/bean feminized CBD SAGE looks like a fucking dud. Wierd cup leaf looking thing. I'll wait and see if it sprouts, but am probably dropping another, and an email to Aaron at seedsherenow in case I need a replacement later.
View attachment 99201
Have you been adding a cover crop to your starter cups for awhile now or are you just playing around to see how the seedlings do with a cover crop?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Have you been adding a cover crop to your starter cups for awhile now or are you just playing around to see how the seedlings do with a cover crop?
Just starting. I sifted it down to a few of the smallest seeds (like that matters) and I think it'll be a timing thing in the future. I like it but I think i'd rather have them a few days behind the seed. I think adding a few after the seed breaks ground will probably be the next version.