The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I randomly top dress with castings and primixed blends, too. I’m too lazy to look up and top dress with individual amendments, though. I like to keep it as simple as I can.
Each one of those has a purpose, it's just individual components of what you are adding most likely. I still have that "organic" FoxFarms top dressing stuff but that is now for the outside garden.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Each one of those has a purpose, it's just individual components of what you are adding most likely. I still have that "organic" FoxFarms top dressing stuff but that is now for the outside garden.
I totally understand that. I just have a hard time keeping track of what helps with what so I just use Roots Organics dry amendment mixes that are mixed up for veg or flower based on the cycle the plants are in. I’ll probably do more at some point but work, and the state of the industry I’m in, has had me so stressed out that I’ve been keeping things simple.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Did the compost/microbe water do it? :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ 12 hours for the Orgi testers, about 8 for the Sage.
Everything sank, tail starting on one of the BCL to the left there.
IMG_6145.JPG
Fuck it - game on! I'm gonna stick the sage in the 5gal when it's ready. It's supposed to grow fast so I don't think larger cover crop is gonna matter. I have no more 5g at the moment, waiting on shipping. So they'll get started closer to transplant.
IMG_6147.JPG
Random nug shots from trich checks. A few came out real clear. CLHP is damn close.
IMG_6113.JPG
Here's where a blurry one is actually better. Parts of this are clear
IMG_6116.JPG
But on the lower leaves I see about 3-5% amber. I want to see a few on the upper part then it gets the axe.
IMG_6116 (2).JPG

And here's a lower on the runt Freakshow - not close
IMG_6135.JPG
it has every type of trichome. IMG_6135 (2).JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Forgot to mention that I went full stoopid on the solo cups. layer of the buildasoil in the bottom, thin layer of sifted castings. small handfull of the less sifted vermicompost with baby worms and eggs, 3 regular size red wigglers, seed-starter soil with myco's, a pinch of the tiniest cover crop seeds, and the first of the IPM. I took some rice hulls and sprayed them them in "Plant Therapy" and let it dry. It's a botanical mix of essential oils and such, has a scent of peppermint over everything else.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This room has the smell of cinnamon/spice, but like those scented candles that are supposed to smell like it but don't quite stick the landing.
IMG_6166.JPG
Short tent the cabbage leaf RK is showing some senescence. It and the CLHP are going more yellow in the fade.
IMG_6163.JPG
Avocado tech in a couple of the 5-gallons up front.
IMG_6164.JPG
Twice as many in this one
IMG_6165.JPG
In here the Royal Limes is getting a nice bronze.
IMG_6161.JPGIMG_6158.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Good healthy looking plants haf love the fade.... Your soil is teaming with life...
Thanks! I am hoping to keep it that way.

The 5 gallon pots are still a question mark. Supposedly they are too small but I am not seeing a downside. I am going to invest the time to make them work because they are so much easier to deal with. I can stick 'em on rollers and it's easier to give everything individual 360 degree attention. I may end up keeping a few spare 5g and re-furbish them between grows, but not dump the pots. Just a new cover crop, feed the worms, and set it by the window - nothing special. Just give it a one month cycle for the old roots to decompose and make room for new ones.

Not sure on the 7gal. There are three and I may harvest then replant in them immediately, and should probably get a few plant caddies that size.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
👆 That's why I am leaning towards fewer plants but dropping them more often. I get bored. Skipping a month dropping beans was a first for me for a long time and I don't like it 😁

If I get all 5 gallons going I think I can do a harvest-to-new plant cycle with each pot, instead of having individual larger drops. When I chop one, drop a bean. Probably wait on a few pots so I don't go crazy but nothing is being harvested based on a calendar.

From the time I chop a plant until a bean is ready to leave the solo cup is about 3 weeks. That might be easier in the long run than doing a monthly drop then having crowding or empty tents.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I have every space full of 5 gallon pots the harvested plants pot could either stay in the flower tent while waiting on a new plant, or more likely go into the closet and get replaced by something ready to flip.

Hmmmmmmmmmm:unsure:

Just need to figure out the pot count that is maintainable. so having a plan for spares ain't a bad idea either.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Having the spare pots would account for dropping 2 regs in case both pop positive.

A lot of the regs I want to run are spendy ones that am not running a lot of at one tme anyway.

I would have to wait for a few to harvest before running a batch of testers but that shouldn't be a big hiccup in the plan.

I am thinking out loud here, so if anyone sees an obvious flaw my stoned ass is missing, please speak up! :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I can fit 6 plants in the closet in 5gallon pots. Especially when they are small. With this tentative plan I could veg both regs and fems in them instead of waiting and only up-potting girls. .

Culled males would work just like harvested plants. Empty a pot drop a bean. But in that case it would be dropping another of the same strain until I get a girl.

The plan is getting legs.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Thanks! I am hoping to keep it that way.

The 5 gallon pots are still a question mark. Supposedly they are too small but I am not seeing a downside. I am going to invest the time to make them work because they are so much easier to deal with. I can stick 'em on rollers and it's easier to give everything individual 360 degree attention. I may end up keeping a few spare 5g and re-furbish them between grows, but not dump the pots. Just a new cover crop, feed the worms, and set it by the window - nothing special. Just give it a one month cycle for the old roots to decompose and make room for new ones.

Not sure on the 7gal. There are three and I may harvest then replant in them immediately, and should probably get a few plant caddies that size.
I was having some success using 5 & 7 gal until I got thrips so bad on the 3rd cycle I didn't have my own worm bins back then and bought 4 5gal bucket of castings from a local which ended up being loaded with thrips larva by then I had them spread everywhere by top dressing, put into my 35gal can of soil I had blended and was cooking I had the buggers everywhere room was full of flowering girls so I didn't want to use anything harsh and they seem to snort everything I tried and seemed to hide in my cover crop (clover) I finished that run and composted all my soil mostly because I tossed a pissy fit out of frustration lol I have my own worm bins now

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was having some success using 5 & 7 gal until I got thrips so bad on the 3rd cycle I didn't have my own worm bins back then and bought 4 5gal bucket of castings from a local which ended up being loaded with thrips larva by then I had them spread everywhere by top dressing, put into my 35gal can of soil I had blended and was cooking I had the buggers everywhere room was full of flowering girls so I didn't want to use anything harsh and they seem to snort everything I tried and seemed to hide in my cover crop (clover) I finished that run and composted all my soil mostly because I tossed a pissy fit out of frustration lol I have my own worm bins now
Dude!!! That sucks bad. I started my worm bin at the same time as I started mixing the soil to let it cook for a month. RO water is another "pre-organic" must in my book.

Before I used the first worm castings I was taking macro pics and sent them to @J.James to see if they were OK to use. There were bugs!!! looked like mites or something but what do I know. Worm bin is inside, but I bring in worms from outside. Turns out they are likely predatory mites I made all by myself, because the plants are showing no bug damage.

I have some gnats, but nothing major now, but I have seen odd things crawling on the plants in the almost-microscopic loupe-sized variety if that makes sense. You can see something with the naked eye on the stem, but can't tell what it is without magnification.

Anyway, there are worms and bugs in nature - there are worms and bugs in my tent. Check. I was thinking about getting some predatory mites and nematodes and stuff, but if my worm bin has produced them locally, buying something from elsewhere might just be pissing in the wind. Time will tell, but both good bugs and bad bugs leave stuff behind, so bud-washing is a must now.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I treat this like a blog here's some hope for new growers working on building a stash. If you get really bored you can go back to the beginning of this thread and see the lengths I was going to to conserve bud. I joined the site Nov 2019 and was just getting to where I had a few jars left at harvest of the next plants. You'll get there. Right now I have a from a little bit to a quart of about 25 different cultvars, and lots of other concoctions and decarbed stuff I have laying around.

I just chopped up the GSC Forum cut after it hang for 14 days. It was a large bush with no pruning and no huge tops. No clue what the weight was after bucking since I only kept the primo for smoke. No scissors except to snip the nugs off. When I picked up each nug, if there wasn't enough density to make it wirh pluckung the leaves off it went to the hash pile. The little leaf tips just broke off but the stuff is still sticky and the little hash snake is just from the gloves. These are hard little nugs or pieces of bud
IMG_6171.JPG
The little 8th sheet tray holds about a quart of flowers. I started at the top of each limb and snipped anything with size onto the tray, Once I had a decent pile on the tray the lower stuff went straight to the hash pile. So this is nugs and sugar leaves with very few fans. and the trim from the stuff in the tray.
IMG_6176.JPG
I have a quart curing and kept out a little to try, couple of cones and enough in the doob-tube to use for a green screen for the hash.

So far it is a body high. I smell no cookies, but the taste is sorta like thin mints - interesting. There's something there so I can see the attraction for breeding. Not much on the head high though. Taste and body relaxation. It does seem to creep a little so the full-cure might punch the ticket. IMG_6175.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
...that are mixed up for veg or flower based on the cycle the plants are in. ... keeping things simple.
I spend a lot of time playing with this stuff, but that's because I like it. The part that doesn't jive with the living soil is the "mixed up for veg or flower" part. I added some banana for the worms so that there should be some extra P and K available in flower, but I would have been feeding the worms anyway. After that it will be in the soil along with all the other stuff in there from the soil mix and the other worm feeding, and whatever the worms are making in the interim.

It is the plants that tell the microbes what they want to eat, and the microbes that bring the right food. There's extra nitrogen in the soil now that the plants don't need and are not using. But it's there if they want it.

Between now and harvest on all the plants I have going now I am just feeding the worms. I'll add a little aloe, or coconut, or whatever seems legit every once in a while, but this is my first run with the soil. After this run, the only Clackamas Coots food that's left in the pot from the soil mix will be what the first plant didn't want. Hopefully trusting the system works. I am watching the plants but mainly trying to keep 16 worm bins healthy.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the gnats got going when one of the cover crops died in the shade. So I need to work on pruning.

I am wondering if I should take all the lower shade leaves that I am in the habit of leaving on. The cover crop should be providing stuff to the soil that is more beneficial than a few extra leaves on the plant.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Dude!!! That sucks bad. I started my worm bin at the same time as I started mixing the soil to let it cook for a month. RO water is another "pre-organic" must in my book.

Before I used the first worm castings I was taking macro pics and sent them to @J.James to see if they were OK to use. There were bugs!!! looked like mites or something but what do I know. Worm bin is inside, but I bring in worms from outside. Turns out they are likely predatory mites I made all by myself, because the plants are showing no bug damage.

I have some gnats, but nothing major now, but I have seen odd things crawling on the plants in the almost-microscopic loupe-sized variety if that makes sense. You can see something with the naked eye on the stem, but can't tell what it is without magnification.

Anyway, there are worms and bugs in nature - there are worms and bugs in my tent. Check. I was thinking about getting some predatory mites and nematodes and stuff, but if my worm bin has produced them locally, buying something from elsewhere might just be pissing in the wind. Time will tell, but both good bugs and bad bugs leave stuff behind, so bud-washing is a must now.
I had an overwhelming amount in my vermicompost bucket a couple times. I noticed my worms weren't reproducing as fast as before. I have a feeling but cannot confirm if they were the cause.

Both times it happened when I overfed them (letting the kiddos feed the worms and throwing in a bunch of leaves from defoliation).

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I sp

Between now and harvest on all the plants I have going now I am just feeding the worms. I'll add a little aloe, or coconut, or whatever seems legit every once in a while, but this is my first run with the soil. After this run, the only Clackamas Coots food that's left in the pot from the soil mix will be what the first plant didn't want. Hopefully trusting the system works. I am watching the plants but mainly trying to keep 16 worm bins healthy.
i like to toss all my banana etc in the blender it cuts down on gnats/fruit flies plus worms are healthier and reproduce quicker, toss some corn cobs in whole the worms carve thru them and lay eggs in them, I toss a couple handful of oatmeal, cornmeal and egg shells in blender until almost a powder spread it across the top of your bins worms go ballistic for it supposed to give them that loving feeling lol, like you said fun to try different things worms Devore blended/smoothie food and turn into castings much quicker