The James Gang

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I like finding the right tool for the job. I have a few jars of weed that are really sticky and are pretty much bowl-weed. Clogs up a grinder, or the resin clogs up a joint. The CLHP is like that. Pretty much anything that doesn't put the sandy kief in the grinder and feels sticky. That stuff just scissor-cut then jammed in a chillum smokes like hash and lights easier.
View attachment 98501
Anyway - I love the chillum. I just light a candle so I have both hands to get it going. Even though it has those grooves around the outside of the plug it burns best lit in the center. IF you can keep going through the whole bowl it will burn to the edges. I do waste a little weed on occasion. The only downside is that the green-edge thing doesn't work well like on a bowl. Relighting it is gonna be a downer compared to the first hit, so dump it and re-pack a fresh bowl. If you're low on weed and want to hit it again use the pick to bust up the ash and tap it out, then re-pack the leftovers.

I think it was about $30, and another $30 for shipping from India.
I love smoking out of my chillum. I'll even pack it with CBD flower and it's a great smoke through it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've been figgerin' and I think the best way to go is to have regs just veg in the 5gal pots and cull the males.

I can fit 6 pots in the closet for veg.
I want to end up with 4 plants but 3 or 5 won't hurt.
2 fems and 4 regs should set that up nicely.

And I have a fat stack of fems to try - or to re-run because I sucked the first time I ran them...

I'll start that with the October drop and (likely) some fairly empty tents by the time a month of veg is over.
I have 4 tester fems to drop though, so that's probably it.
November is for me to do whatever I want, then December there's a mystery pack drop that might be 6 regs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Natural IPM. The "yard-corn" I had was sorgum, so I am letting it go to seed, already chopped one top and have it drying for seed. Plant saucer that I keep water in for a bath, and a bird feeder hanging close.
IMG_6017.JPG
I have several families of birds that are local. Cardinals Mourning doves and some little songbirds. But the cardinals are the biggest bug-eaters.
The Mom and dad have been around for a while, and then the babies started showing up. This dude was hopping around the cherry tomatoes instead of at the bird-food.
IMG_6016.JPGIMG_6015.JPGIMG_6013.JPGIMG_6014.JPG
And I love these guys. IMG_6011.JPG
Any spider nice enough to put a warning label on his web so I don't face-planr right in the middle of it is OK in my book :)
IMG_6010.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Random stoner shit again.

Watching a documentary on deep sea stuff and they were talking about how thermophiles survive. Those little critters that live in boiling water or methane coming from deep sea vents survive because they have microbes and bacteria that help them eat the food that is available, :unsure:

If a tube worm can live in that depth, temp, pressure, and lack of resources because the bacteria make it happen, I have hopes for the living soil "trust the microbes" thing ;)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Speaking of microbes... No controls so this ain't an experiment. Just trying something new.
IMG_6084.JPG
The theory is that instead of starting my beans in water with h2o2 which is gonna kill anything, then into fairly pasteurized starter soil that may or may not have some active microbes like the sack says, I am starting from the actual beginning.

In the RO water I have a pinch of fresh compost, and a micro-dose of the Recharge microbe inocculant. Letting it bubble for just a bit to aerate, then straining it into the cups for the beans to soak in.

I'm also going to sift my worm castings this evening and get super-fresh for the bottoms of the beer-cups. I think about an inch or two at the bottom then the sed starter soil above that should let the beans get started like normal (but with bacterial colonies already multiplying on every new root because of the water) then reach the compost in about a week.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I also noticed on the worm nursery I started that it takes a while for baby worms to grow. The castings from when I up-potted the last drop now have worms in the one inch range.
IMG_6086.JPG

I don't plan to keep a nursery, but now I have the "data" i need on how quick they hatch and/or grow. After I got done transplanting I re-sifted the castings to get out any large worms. They were fine for the re-pot. I put a little food in and kept it moist, and it's been a few weeks to get the aggs and eyelash size worms (maximum) to this.

In other words, if I put castings with baby worms in the solo cup they shouldn't be that big before transplant. I could probably get away with a few per cup in the one inch range. I also sifted out some of the tiniest seeds from the cover crop to get that going as well.

It'll at least be interesting.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's my tried and true super-spectacular bean germination facilitator... IMG_6089.JPG
Mini heat mat, cardboard box dome to keep the warmth in, and holes in a piece of wood to keep stoners from tipping cups over and spilling beans and water and having to find the beans in the carpet... Not that that's ever happened :rolleyes:

So I have the water that bubbled for about an hour warming up and the beans warming from the fridge. 2 Each of the Orgi BX and Briscoe County Line fem testers. I have a spare bean of each in case there's a dud - I will grow 4. Plus a CBD Sage from TH Seeds as soon as it arrives (today or Monday)
That's this drop.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is a mini baking sheet. I got 40g from the ChemD Auto by Ethos. 78 days from seed which I guess is a little long for auto's.
IMG_6092.JPG
I got a gram of glove-hash that I'm saving. I tried a BB sized ball on top of a larfy-nug ground up and it was naptime in a bowl. I don't think I let it go too long, but maybe. Could have been the circumstances so I'll re-evaluate later. The smell is a sweet/death smell. I expected chemical gas. Definitely not dipping in early on this, I think this is a "must cure" strain. IMG_6096.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Girl Scout Cookies is on day 12 hanging, and still has a few days to go to get down to 25% of the wet weight. The two reasons I weigh weed now is for drying, and just to give an idea of how the harvest compared to the grow.

I got a fluffy quart jar of the ChemD. I'll probably whittle that down to a pint for smoke and the rest edibles. Especially if it packs a punch. I have the "real" ChemD in flower now so the comparison will be interesting.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Speaking of microbes... No controls so this ain't an experiment. Just trying something new.
View attachment 98630
The theory is that instead of starting my beans in water with h2o2 which is gonna kill anything, then into fairly pasteurized starter soil that may or may not have some active microbes like the sack says, I am starting from the actual beginning.

In the RO water I have a pinch of fresh compost, and a micro-dose of the Recharge microbe inocculant. Letting it bubble for just a bit to aerate, then straining it into the cups for the beans to soak in.

I'm also going to sift my worm castings this evening and get super-fresh for the bottoms of the beer-cups. I think about an inch or two at the bottom then the sed starter soil above that should let the beans get started like normal (but with bacterial colonies already multiplying on every new root because of the water) then reach the compost in about a week.
You probably won’t have any issues doing this, but one possible issue with doing this is you have no control of what grows in that water and you can inadvertently populate it with bacteria that does more harm to the seeds than good. This is why Linda Chaulker-Scott advises against using teas and recommend just top dressing with compost instead.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You probably won’t have any issues doing this, but one possible issue with doing this is you have no control of what grows in that water and you can inadvertently populate it with bacteria that does more harm to the seeds than good. This is why Linda Chaulker-Scott advises against using teas and recommend just top dressing with compost instead.
That's why I bubbled it real short. No time for anything to breed or populate, basically just washing the same stuff off the castings that I'll be placing in the cup anyway.

I do teas, but I don't add compost. I agree with her on that. You have land stuff that grew in soil that you are drowning then pouring back into soil... I add the castings to the pot and water them in. But only once at transplant, then again at flip. I think the worms in the pots can take it from there.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
That's why I bubbled it real short. No time for anything to breed or populate, basically just washing the same stuff off the castings that I'll be placing in the cup anyway.

I do teas, but I don't add compost. I agree with her on that. You have land stuff that grew in soil that you are drowning then pouring back into soil... I add the castings to the pot and water them in. But only once at transplant, then again at flip. I think the worms in the pots can take it from there.
I'm doing the two grows I have going now with no compost teas just to see how they go. Things are going pretty well so far and I don't miss brewing or cleaning up the buckets/air stones every week one bit!.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm doing the two grows I have going now with no compost teas just to see how they go. Things are going pretty well so far and I don't miss brewing or cleaning up the buckets/air stones every week one bit!.
The only teas I do are sprout teas. I sprout either barley or corn until you see tails then blender it. You can just mix that in a bucket and use it immediately, but if I'm doing it I go ahead and add some kelp and some aloe (blended fresh or fermented), and some LAB for some bacteria then I bubble it for the afternoon and use it that night.

So far I'm thinking once in veg and once in flower is all I need. For the other waterings I may add some coconut powder or fish hydrolysate. I'm still doing random top dressings with castings, insect frass, kelp, malted barley, and/or crustacean meal about twice a grow with different stuff in veg than flower.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm still doing random top dressings with castings, insect frass, kelp, malted barley, and/or crustacean meal about twice a grow with different stuff in veg than flower.
I randomly top dress with castings and primixed blends, too. I’m too lazy to look up and top dress with individual amendments, though. I like to keep it as simple as I can.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I started the worm bin I have been saving yard clippings and doing dedicated compost spots around the property. Under oak or hickory trees seems to be a good 'fishing' spot. The deep-feeders are chewing on old nut shells and slow-to-compost leaves, but once some green grass starts molding they flock to it and are easy to catch.
This was what I harvested during the morning joint and coffee. I know little about mushrooms, but I know fungal is good so when I find a fat chunk of mycelium under a log (for example) I'll rinse any visible bugs off it and toss it in the worm bin.
IMG_6098.JPG
I think I have wild truffles
IMG_6102.JPG
Anyone know about them?
IMG_6100.JPGIMG_6106.JPG