The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
007up has a wonky leaf - doesn't surprise me.
IMG_5806.JPG
Doesn't look like much more room
IMG_5838.JPG
Nor really in a hurry to clear this out, but the UK Cheese (back left) is a lot slower to flower, I think she'll move out when I have room
IMG_5801.JPG
they are all playing nice together height-wise
IMG_5802.JPG

Streetpro09

Tester
GSC surprised me. I had her out checking everything and pruning some dead leaves off the bottom, and the tops are the only thing ot mostly milky, probably from the new growth. Lowers had just enough amber to call it. View attachment 98151
Heavy girl. 378g wet or about 3oz dry.
View attachment 98152
And the ChemD auto got the axe too. It was 235g wet, so between 1.5-2 ounces. The "Duke Diamond" trim is ugly as hell, but I want to see if those stems act like indicators of when it's dry. It's supposed to slow the dry.
View attachment 98149

View attachment 98150
I actually tried the same thing with my fan leaves at harvest this round. Mainly for the time it saves. I'll have to see about the "indicators". I haven't heard that before.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I actually tried the same thing with my fan leaves at harvest this round. Mainly for the time it saves. I'll have to see about the "indicators". I haven't heard that before.
It definitely saved time since you aren't getting close to buds. Duke was on a podcast and there weere several other breeders talking about how they dry and cure, from different areas of the country so there was a lot of good info on different climates and elevations, but that was the only new one for me.

If you think about placement leaf stems are at the base of buds or limbs and yanking them off allows moisture to get out from the stem right by the buds. I know from pruning them in the tent that it can take weeks before they fall off. The ends close up, and they shrivel their way back to the stem and then drop.

Since I have a good controlled place for them to dry, I want them to make the most of it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
CLG testers(Brisco County Line & OrgiBX) starting to come up. Can't wait to see what they turn into.
View attachment 98179
The closet and two tents are all I have going now, all in flower. I need to back off a bit. I want to try everything at once :rolleyes:
I have those 4 (2 ea) and a few more spots. Either 2 more fems or 4 regs. But I ain't dropping util the closet is cleared out.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
1st of the month, major "feeding". I have the cups set up by pot size and have the top-dressing getting mixed in them. Just kelp, crustacean meal, and insect frass.
IMG_5846.JPG
The other task was to sift the worm bin. Yesterday I blendered up some tomato, apple and coffee grounds and spread them on the feeding tray to draw most of the worms up so there's fewer in the lowest tray. There's probably an easier way but I just sift it through a 3/16" grid gently, get a good bit of the castings out then dump the worms and bigger stuff back in. I have some pumice and wood chunks in there that take longer to breaks down and keep going back in the mix. You can never sift all the worms out.
IMG_5847.JPG
The white stuff in there is ground up malted barley. Food if there's any baby worms in the castings or ones soon to hatch, and also for the worms in the pots when I top dress. I got a good bit though so adding the barley to the castings instead of the top-dressing cups was because I don't think I'll use all of that now. It get's better with age, and I'll keep it moist like the worm bin so any hatchlings don't just die off like they would in bag-o-castings from the home despot.
IMG_5852.JPG

In general, I think the worm bin was the best investment in my time so far. I am not really composting much kitchen scrap through them, I make more than they could eat. But I have been drying out all of my cannabis leftovers to re-introduce into the soil via the worms. I just add it to the bedding when I initially mix a new batch. I wonder if worms get high :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

I do know they have zero interest in the green/frosty plant. I stuck a limb of the Mimms I culled in there and they didn't touch it for a week so I took it out. Next test is the dried out Mimms that was frosty to see if they'll dig that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Listening to the podcasts I heard another bro-sciency thing that seems reasonable and is probably based in actual science.

Green Tea - not the stuff on aisle 8 at the store. After you make bubble hash you have a nutrient rich tea of lots of goodies from the plant.

The suggestion is that if you water your plants with that or using that as a base for a compost or sprout tea you will see immediate effects as far as growth and stuff.

I'm logic minded, so the obvious question is whether that watering would have caused the growth anyway without the tea... Finding an unfortuneate oversight like that is a good way to separate bro- from actual-science. Show me your stuff beside a controll or you aren't getting my money.

Dragonfly Earth Medicine is a prime example I thought of before. They have stuff in their "proprietary blends" that are hard to source (probably local to their yard) which may or may not do a damn thing for the weed. But they have it in there with stuff we know does good things like alfalfa, barley, kelp, etc. Cheap stuff. Nothing to prove that the extra junk they add does anything - BUT - the cool marketing strategy is that they show you to the nth of a percentage what ingredients they use "so you can make it yourself" if you want. But then you are looking at sourcing those little added extras thhat have no proven worth and it becomes cost prohibitive.

Their stuff might be the next best thing to having Jesus lay hands on your plant, but prove it.

So the lesson here is that if I spot a glitch in the matrix like that I ain't buying it. Back to the Green Tea - it's free. So the only real factor is if there is any harm that can be done. The "can't hurt" category.

I have a freezer full of stuff to run for hash so I may try it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Didn't mention it but on the Dragonfly stuff - BRILLIANT!!! (y) I have no hate for them. It is a great marketing strategy.

So on bubblehash does anyone else reuse the water for the second or third run of hash?

I have a water filter on the fridge, and a small icemaker. I save some sacks of ice for a few days before the run, and I use R/O water (just because I can) so I'll take several gallons and put it in the fridge the night before to chill. I use regular sink water for rinsing.

Anywhoooooo - I don't over separate my hash, it's just for me. I have a 220m to catch all the big stuff, a 120m the separate the better hash out, then the 25m to catch it all. One rinse - one hash ball. But that water has already been through a 25m filter, and it is ice cold, so I dump that back in the machine for the second run of the same material.

Thoughts?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Didn't mention it but on the Dragonfly stuff - BRILLIANT!!! (y) I have no hate for them. It is a great marketing strategy.

So on bubblehash does anyone else reuse the water for the second or third run of hash?

I have a water filter on the fridge, and a small icemaker. I save some sacks of ice for a few days before the run, and I use R/O water (just because I can) so I'll take several gallons and put it in the fridge the night before to chill. I use regular sink water for rinsing.

Anywhoooooo - I don't over separate my hash, it's just for me. I have a 220m to catch all the big stuff, a 120m the separate the better hash out, then the 25m to catch it all. One rinse - one hash ball. But that water has already been through a 25m filter, and it is ice cold, so I dump that back in the machine for the second run of the same material.

Thoughts?
I'm thinking it's just bro science and has no postiive or negative affect on the plants. Think about it...all that is in that water is fine particulates (dirt, dust, and broken down leaf matter). I can't see how that would be any different than giving your plants some pond water or runoff from other plants. I personally don't buy the whole "it has particulates from the plant in it so it is beneficial to the plant" that a lot of these growers try to sell.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm thinking it's just bro science and has no postiive or negative affect on the plants. Think about it...all that is in that water is fine particulates (dirt, dust, and broken down leaf matter). I can't see how that would be any different than giving your plants some pond water or runoff from other plants. I personally don't buy the whole "it has particulates from the plant in it so it is beneficial to the plant" that a lot of these growers try to sell.
Ed Zachary! ;)

That said, I am feeding the worms dried up trimmings 50/50 with paper instead of just paper including the "hardwood" stems. Why not go full Monty? 🤷‍♂️🤪

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I've started feeding my trimmings to our mini dinosaurs. They seem to love the leaves and I have plenty of other shit to compost.
Right on... Ive had as u call em baby dinosaurs my entire life except past couple yrs.. With my kids being outside with em everyday, they was basically like pets.
Id pull up to house from work, and the whole flock wood sprint/ fly to my car door to greet me.. Lol.

Just curious as to the breed of birds that u got? Are they sum kind of brahma breed?

No shit, i witnessed a hen we had kill and eat a baby copperhead snake like it was a fuckn spaghetti noodle.. Lol.
The chicken grabbed the snake by the tail, and kept whipping its head on landscaping stones to stun it, then tilted its head back and sucked it down like spaghetti.

I stood there like omg wtf just happened.. Lol
Just hadta share that wit ya.. Lol✌

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Right on... Ive had as u call em baby dinosaurs my entire life except past couple yrs.. With my kids being outside with em everyday, they was basically like pets.
Id pull up to house from work, and the whole flock wood sprint/ fly to my car door to greet me.. Lol.

Just curious as to the breed of birds that u got? Are they sum kind of brahma breed?

No shit, i witnessed a hen we had kill and eat a baby copperhead snake like it was a fuckn spaghetti noodle.. Lol.
The chicken grabbed the snake by the tail, and kept whipping its head on landscaping stones to stun it, then tilted its head back and sucked it down like spaghetti.

I stood there like omg wtf just happened.. Lol
Just hadta share that wit ya.. Lol✌
They are Salmon Faverolles. We had some of them, along with Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, and Silkies years ago when a weasel took out our entire flock. We decided to get them this year because they are super friendly chickens. They do lay really small eggs, though, so we will probably get some Rhode Island Reds so we can get some decent sized eggs again.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Re-watching/listening to this to see if I absorb any more nuggets to use. I haven't had fresh worm castings yet when dropping beans. I copied the video link at the part of interest. If I add castings/compost to the solo cups I should see much quicker growth. I'm thinking just a layer on the bottom of the cup instead of having it mixed in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
"it has particulates from the plant in it so it is beneficial to the plant"
I was thinking more about this and with living soil you are talking about feeding and breeding microbes. Looking at the hash-water from an NPK standpoint is obviously gonna be bogus. No clue about the terpenes being reintroduced (smell your water) but this is more about stuff on the enzyme level. That's what I meant since on the face of it bro-science is the first thought.

If it was just washing off the outside of the buds and leaves it would not turn green. There is some other transfer besides washing the outside going on. If stuff at the chlorophyl level (regarding particulate size) is transfering then there has to be lots of other stuff in the wash as well.

That's as far into the actual science part as I need to go to see that there's something there - good, bad or indifferent. Trials to see if the plants like it come next, only because I have no microscopes and wouldn't know what to look for if I did. I may even run it through a coffee filter first. But in general it seems to fit with the Hippocratic oath - first, do no harm

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just notes for me and whomever cares.

When I put the castings in the solo cups with the top dressing I shook it up like a martini with another cup to mix everything before top dressing.
Immediately I saw wigglers on the top. Adding the dry stuff made them uncomfortable and theere were a handfull on top of each cup. Means there was plenty underneath too. They were getting watered in to the plants right after, so I think I added a hundred or so worms to each pot.

I had the barley flour in the leftovers to feed any worms and moistened a piece of paper to put on top of the castings, then a loose lid. This morning there were many worms on the sides of the bucket. It needed more ventillation so I left the top off and they all slithered back down as it dried back out.
Should have taken a pic.

After one day they were about hair-thick and about 3/4 inch long. Not countng the odd large one still there. These are the bulk that sifted through the screen because they were tiny.

Looking up the expected growth rate of worms, and I will screen this again in a few days and see how a half-gallon nursery produces.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sooooooo - I really love the seed&weed wine fridge. And since it is a single purpose and not getting opened to make a sandwich or grab a beer, it uses very little juice. But it was full and I really didn't want to cull good smoke to make hash. Id doesn't turn out as well with aged buds and I have tons of stuff decarbed already.

Looking at getting a second, but smaller so I can have one for the seeds and hash, one for weed. I saw this but it's tiny. Really perfect for seed packs and hash balls, but too expensive $220+tax

Amazon.com: Electronic Cooler Humidor,150 capacity, with Spanish Cedar Wood Shelves: Home & Kitchen

Then I saw the coupon. Nothing required, no sigining up for credit cards or anything just 30% off.
1630674586217.png 1630674736339.png

At $165 after tax I snagged it. I spent more than that on a pack of seeds :rolleyes:
So next is finding a better place in the house for them.
IMG_5865.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Clearing a lot all morning where I'll have a garden in a year or so. Had it bulldozed because it was all briars and poison ivy. I spread every old herb seed I had on the bare dirt but it looked like only dandelions of different varieties took. Most of them were over 8' tall and just starting to flower so they had to get knocked down (by hand...). They're mulch now, but half the area (about 100' square) had 3-4' furry plants, could have been any number of crazy weeds I have, but it was fernleaf dill. I harvested an armload - no clue what I'll do with it. but there's still a bunch I'll let go to seed.

I think some wood chips or something cheap hauled in to cover that might be a good start. So far the poison ivy is gone, and most of the briars. I just let the not so bad weeds choke the really bad stuff out. But it was mostly clay and sand so now if will have a foot or so of decaying vegetable matter on it. It's more a side project than anything. Eventually I see some row crops there but I ain't killing myself for it. I'm thinking about doing a hugelkulture thing and hauling all the dead lumber from the woods then let it start to rot and make some fungus and attract more worms. Then have some cheap mulch hauled in and wait.

Why am I typing this? I packed a one hitter of the County Line Hashplant when I got done and had one of those out of body experiences with the numb-tingles and that 'third-eye' feeling like you're watching what's going on. Fucking brilliant stuff!