The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My clone limbs are getting to a nice size to try one or two each. Probably play with that later.
IMG_4997.JPG
The 007up and PTK got up-potted into dryish soil with no water. The dirt-plug was fairly moist, so I'll let them go for a day or two.
IMG_4996.JPG
The garden is starting to come in. I'm getting this many cherries each morning, and usually another handfull in the evening. All from the lower branches, and I haven't pruned anything. The ones on the next set of limbs are starting to ripen - then it grows exponentially. The cucumbers I make a habit of picking fairly small, because no matter how hard you look every week or so you find one of the Vlassic's hidden behind a leaf and the weight finally makes it obvious ;)
IMG_4995.JPG
I did a trial run on these. Notes from last year are who knows where; but i remember that it needed Worchestershire and a little more salt. I tried one batch with tequila as well, and lime instead of lemon that rocked. Taking better notes this year. I think the garlic fucked it up too. Good pickles, but I don't put garlic in a bloody mary...
bloodymarypickles -add worch.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Veg for babies,
IMG_5028.JPG
Veg for clones and autos
IMG_5030.JPG
Diversity... 😁
IMG_5027.JPG
The NL got up-potted to a 3 gallon and is on a stand over 2' tall. The Mimms will be next watering. Still in 2 gallons LOL
IMG_5022.JPG
What is a trip is the stacking difference. On the Twin Towers there is no node-spacing to speak of between nugs, but it got noticably taller
IMG_5023.JPG
On the 4-top it looks more spaced out on all 4
IMG_5024.JPG
CLHP
IMG_5025.JPG

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
it be a great one to use for clones in a sog.
On that, what I see is that the two top is going to swell into continuous bud tops, the 4 top has spacing. There were also considerably more post-flip nodes on the 2 top.

The HQ is also a classic Kush structure like that, which might be the trick for a SOG. That post-flip spire that gets taller instead of fatter. You could fill a tent and never have to worry about crowding or airflow. But with one cola I think you'd get a lot of variation from clone to clone in how tall each one gets.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I will eventually be shifting to living soil, but my goal in it is that it be mostly self sustainable for a hermit like me. Aloe is good for everything, I have a plant in a tent, one on the front porch and one out back. Wherever the outside ones do best there will be more. The box has barley in it, and a dozen corn stalks starting. The corn is just boredom. If they mature before winter then cool. They are for sprout teas, or the malted barley can be used as a top dressing. They only need 2oz of dried seed per 5gal bucket for the teas, so one corn cob of seed would last a few waterings.
IMG_5032.JPG
I still need to cook the build-a-soil bundle I bought (which hasn't even shipped yet...) and I have plenty of the existing "organic" nutes that are working fine I want to use - but I will also be using them in the garden if needed.

Instead of diving in head first, I want to work on having most of the components. Good compost is another part, so I have worms. So far this "WormFactory 360" seems perfect for the small scale I need, but it's going to take some time to start generating some product.
There's 4 trays, and the worms will migrate upwards as the compost gets dense on the lower tray. Right now there is just dry shredded paper in the top one to help control moisture and give escapees something to play in instead of going into the room. Working perfect so far.
IMG_5036.JPG
Wet grocery bag over the top, for containment and to check moisture since it dries out before the stuff under it. IMG_5037.JPG
and a mix of coco, soil, shredded grocery bag and a little food scrap.
IMG_5038.JPG
I want to get them on a diet that includes the weed trimmings, leftover dry-sift, etc. along with the other goodies they get if they'll eat it. I figure all the work we put into growing them, there MUST be some good stuff there they can put back in the soil.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
On the worm bin, I got it on sale because the lid is "terra cotta" and doesn't match the rest 😁 Now that I see it, and can grasp how it works I'll be building a big one for outside eventually. I have enough garden scrap to feed a decent population.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner epiphany time again, writing stuff down to evaluate later.

1. Fruity and frosty strains don't seem to age well. I just smoked a Blueberry Freeze about 4 months old - the buzz is perfect, but if you are growing for the terps they're still in the jar. The flavor is just "good smoke". I noticed the same with the Sangria Cookies, Blueberry Muffin and the Heisen crosses I tested that were wedding-dosi-cookie stuff. Frosty as hell, probably best for live resin where the terps are captured immediately, or hash maybe for the home brewer. But gas lasts. Tall stalky trichomes don't have the jar longevituy trhat the stubby leaf-mushroom trich's do. Resin is king, not frost! :ROFLMAO: Chime in!

2. I ain't making beans unless I need to. "Pollen is bad" has been a mantra that has worked. Conversation with @J.James put it in perspective. Who would actually be running the beans I make? I ain't selling them, anyone I know that I could share them with has as many beans to run as I do.

3. I grow for me to get high and live better. Both the edibles and the smoking but also the art of growing. When I "dive into" the living soil it will be one tent and I will try to do it as prescribed to see if I like the effort vs return. Probably only for fems and/or clones that I won't be culling. I think testers and other unknowns will be in the other tent using up the rest of my current nute/soil stock.

4. I have only been doing this for a few years, and already have a few plants I wish I had kept around. Dropped a mess of Paradise Diesel looking for the unicorn I should have cloned.

So I want to grow as much stuff as possible, be selective as hell, and grow what the fuck I want. I think diving into a pack of testers and unknown stuff in one tent while keeping the headstash living in the other tent just makes sense. I am still learning what I like and what works for me. So I took two clones each of the GSC Forum Cut and the Flo Rida (TK) to start rooting. As soon as one takes I will think about flipping the mom. Following @Big Perm 's advice I took them when the plants were ready for water, and shortly after the lights came on.
IMG_5040.JPG
For my purposes I need to smoke the GSC (for example). See if it's something I want to smoke again as is, or if I prefer the crosses. But I'll know how they grow, traits and stuff specific to GSC, and notice the traits picked up in crosses better. But if it ain't me I'll kill the bitch and feed it to the worms! :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FWIW, my worms ate all my trim and defoliated leaves. They took a bit longer on the stems thicker than a cheap chopstick (those got cut into 1" nibs).

If the foliage stayed green too long I'd sprinkle a Tablespoon of quick oats to boost the process.
I made a sprout tea out of corn. Put it in the blender to get the goodies out then strained it. I put the strained, ground corn in one corner of the bin it was like a worm-magnet :) And it was already in worm-friendly consistency.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Clarification.

On the sweet/fruity/frosty strains, I grow for the buzz so I really don't mind as much, but they'll probably shift to the 'decarb for great edibles" column faster than a diesel or a kush with the gas or spice.

On the breeding thing, if I want more Royal Kush (or whatever) after growing out a whole pack a few at a time, and keeping clones of the girls around for a while, I'll buy more. When the infrastructure crumbles and I need to make beans I think I'll have good stock around.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Last thing before I go play with the babies and give them their first food... I am no hippy-dippy Bodhi kind of dude (if you have heard him talking about weed and life) but I agree that to grow anything you have to get in there and know it. Main reason I could never do a scrog again. Sitting on the floor with the plant, seeing what it needs and giving that individual attention matters regarding the end product.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Is this the Northern Lights? It’s gonna make a helluva bud whatever it is, it be a great one to use for clones in a sog. @H.A.F.
She's looking good Opie, I grew the new 420guy NL autos multiple times they looked a lot like yours but al
I will eventually be shifting to living soil, but my goal in it is that it be mostly self sustainable for a hermit like me. Aloe is good for everything, I have a plant in a tent, one on the front porch and one out back. Wherever the outside ones do best there will be more. The box has barley in it, and a dozen corn stalks starting. The corn is just boredom. If they mature before winter then cool. They are for sprout teas, or the malted barley can be used as a top dressing. They only need 2oz of dried seed per 5gal bucket for the teas, so one corn cob of seed would last a few waterings.

I still need to cook the build-a-soil bundle I bought (which hasn't even shipped yet...) and I have plenty of the existing "organic" nutes that are working fine I want to use - but I will also be using them in the garden if needed.

Instead of diving in head first, I want to work on having most of the components. Good compost is another part, so I have worms. So far this "WormFactory 360" seems perfect for the small scale I need, but it's going to take some time to start generating some product.
There's 4 trays, and the worms will migrate upwards as the compost gets dense on the lower tray. Right now there is just dry shredded paper in the top one to help control moisture and give escapees something to play in instead of going into the room. Working perfect so far.

Wet grocery bag over the top, for containment and to check moisture since it dries out before the stuff under it.
and a mix of coco, soil, shredded grocery bag and a little food scrap.

I want to get them on a diet that includes the weed trimmings, leftover dry-sift, etc. along with the other goodies they get if they'll eat it. I figure all the work we put into growing them, there MUST be some good stuff there they can put back in the soil.
Mine go crazy for a mix of oatmeal & cornmeal, puts them in that loving feeling, love fresh corn cobs they devour them, I put old cow & horse poop, we make smoothies for breakfast so lots OG banana peels the finer you chop your additions the quicker they turn it into black gold...

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I noticed that feeling last year. It's more of a fling than a relationship.

They serve a purpose though. I haven't yielded enough (yet) to carry over until the next year. So they help fill the summer gap.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The two Chem D auto freebies are worth exactly what I paid for them... Ethos may do good regular stuff or fems. Getting these does not make me want to pay for any of his gear. No vigor, slow to no growth, and they are on the clock...

Bean-sellers need to think about that when offering freebies. You want people to buy another pack don't give them free trash.

Don't mean to harp on it, but I was actually excited to run a 'representation' of one of the original Chem's. But I bought the fire from Nspecta that are dropping next, so these are - whatever.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
They are now individuals. Everything got a little Jump Start top dressing and their first soaking. Now it will be based on who drinks more. I have one more up-pot in the mix as well before flipping. I *should* have 7 females here, but the more the merrier.
IMG_5041.JPG
I was planning on skipping a drop in July because I was getting set up for breeding and wanted spaces empty. Now I am going to drop one each of the Chem D, Chemdog, and UK Cheese fems. I won't have these flipped yet to know my harem size after I kick the dudes out, but committing to 3 fems that I am excited to grow is not a stretch. After I sex these I am pack-dropping on something.