The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
No new plant pics, but FAIL update. Not a bad one this time. Moves the driver (and timer) so the veg room was cooler.

Guess which button on which piece I didn't check :unsure:

Soooooo it's back to "timer" now after about 22 hrs straight light.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IMG_4068.JPG
Not great pics, but it's not amazing looking weed. The mom has fully cured and I think the color is set, a little browner than the clone. Both have the same smell, grind, taste, AND effect... I'm going to have to get a little more in depth on the testing since I have the 4 clones going. The flower clone went a week longer after I thought she looked done (self imposed LOL) But if there's not much difference, the real estate is valuable.

Here's the reason they are ugly buds. They don't branch out from the stem, so they get squished on one side when they get plump - and they get plump :)
IMG_4072.JPG

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Mimms Kush are on fire now. everything else is getting going. Bumping the lumens up and the temp down helped. Everything got water, and the 4 bigger ones got their first real soaking. Should jump now.
IMG_4094.JPG
The late flower tent smells amazing. but it's a mixture of stuff. Can't pin it down
IMG_4092.JPG
I know the Grapefruit is playing a big part of it. There's a smell of citrus and death. Like mostly sharp citrus, but with a bitter-sweet undertone of rankness that I can definitely see curing out to that grapefruit smell - compared to an orange or something. IMG_4076.JPG
Looking like it's gonne have a medioum density, might surprise me. And a little higher leaf to calyx ratio than I like, but I ain't smoking that. Just trimming more. But there's the same medium density all the way down. Should have some weight to it.
IMG_4077.JPG
This is zoomed on that top. Just getting some browns, so there's plenty of plumping time left.
IMG_4077 (2).JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
There's shit on TV now so I have been listening to some podcasts on SeedsHereNow

Just lots of great info, but one thing I pinged on was the difference in the way buds develop based on location. Typical humidity, average temps and stuff, but also the elevation and where you are relative to the coast. I am thinking that some of the pointy buds I see like the grapefruit are because of my location. Low humidity and about 1000ft above sea level in foothills of mountains. Higher heat and closer to sea level apparently would make them tighten up.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I bring that up, because we have a contest going with people growing the same plant all over the continent, being grown in different mediums and in different styles. Be interesting to see the differences.

The GMO cake is the giant 4 top. I think the A-dub xAC candleabra is tall because I took all the limbs off, The other one is back right and not showing near as much stretch.
IMG_4090.JPG
This is the experiment. Imagine having some long skinny pots, and how many plants you could fit in a tent LOL
IMG_4083.JPG

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
There's shit on TV now so I have been listening to some podcasts on SeedsHereNow

Just lots of great info, but one thing I pinged on was the difference in the way buds develop based on location. Typical humidity, average temps and stuff, but also the elevation and where you are relative to the coast. I am thinking that some of the pointy buds I see like the grapefruit are because of my location. Low humidity and about 1000ft above sea level in foothills of mountains. Higher heat and closer to sea level apparently would make them tighten up.
I was building a gate for some goats listening to that, there were lots of gems. You could try a fun experiment if you knew anyone locally that grew at a higher/lower elevation.

It reminds me of the Cascades in WA. During late summer everything west of the mountains it's lush and green (with help of the Puget Sound) but everything east is pretty arid.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was building a gate for some goats listening to that, there were lots of gems. You could try a fun experiment if you knew anyone locally that grew at a higher/lower elevation.

It reminds me of the Cascades in WA. During late summer everything west of the mountains it's lush and green (with help of the Puget Sound) but everything east is pretty arid.
We drove up the PCH from LA to Monterey. It was mid-July and the highway crosses back and forth from the coast to the valley. It was 20-30 degrees cooler on the coast.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The return on the Paradise Diesel reveg accident. I had almost 3oz of kief in the fridge that went through a 160m screen. Been letting it age, but strring it occasionally. Today I re-sifted and this is the 96-120 (left) and the 66-95 (right). I also have several ounces of the best tops.
IMG_4095.JPG
Both looked good so I dumped them back together. The stuff that stayed above the 120m, and the stuff that went through the 66m got decarbed and will get disolved in everclear and strained. No worries about getting too much soak, when there's no veg. it loses weight in decarb, and I still got 15g out of it, and the puro came out over 2oz. Crappy reflection pic.
IMG_4097.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Mimms Kush have not been scissored at all yet. Still debating on straight 4-top or a mainline first.
IMG_4098.JPG
I am also going to clone all the tops. Not planning on keeping them but probably will keep a girl. But I have some $$$ beans dropping soon, and I will be cloning them and definitely keeping any girls. This is a trial run to get an idea of timeframes for stuff under the new veg light.
IMG_4099.JPG
Since I don't plan to mainline everything, I will probably just top them for 4. If they aren't too tall I may prune away an extra set of lower nodes and keep 4 from higher up. Those sprouts are smaller so it should even out. I think that will also help my runty-limb plant thing and get a more even canopy.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For what it's worth, I think doing the 4-tops is working out great as a blank canvas starting point. Here's a good example of just letting the plants go where they want, or making them do what you want with LST. Pruning shoots to get fat tops is fun, but I bust them all up to smoke them anyway.
The only thing I try to do the same every time is keep the 4 tops the same height with LST right after I top them. The Lemon tree had vigorous shoots so I just kept training her out, and letting the shoots make their little no-net-scrog. The tall-ass GMO cake I'll be wishing I did that LOL
IMG_4101.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I also got the Lemon Tree into a 5-gallon asap instead of a 3g. I think it can support all those tops and get them all fat if there's enough root mass

Keeping them to 4 tops is one thing that lets me keep them in the two or three gallons, but if I leave a lot of limbs or I let them veg longer (which I am doing now) I lean towards the larger pots.

I have repotted a 3' tall Christmas tree six weeks into flower from a 3 to a 5, but I'd rather not.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sooooooo here's is my stoner solution to excess weed long term storage. Since I wasn't using the prime kief, I "mathed" it 🤪 as 40% THC.
Primo stuff I usually count as 50%, with anything phenominal counting as 60%.
15g at 400mg/g (40%) is 6000mg. I figure the everclear so that 1tsp (5ml) will equal 100mg of thc.
This helps with dosing in any future projects you use it for, or you just store weed-a-hol.
300ml (60tsp) of everclear mixed with the decarbed goods.
IMG_4110.JPG
With kief you can let it set overnight if you want, everything that was there is washed if you shake it for a minute. Any stuff from plant matter, is washed into the mix as well. But you can't store it long term like that. So I run it through a fine seive then a coffee filter to get out any trichome skeletones and leafy bits. You can do this with decarbed bud as well, but you can't let that set too long or the vegetable matter will continue to leech its way into the alcohol. I don't think it really hurts anything, other than giving it a chlorophyl taste.

IMG_4113.JPG
The math is the same for bud, but you need a potato ricer or something comparable handy to help press and strain it after a short while. And its more of a mess. Since the but is large and less THC, sometimes you have to go to 50mg/tsp, or 25mg/tsp, just so you can get enough alcohol to cover the bud. You can always evaporate it down to a stronger dosage, but it's good to have a consistent starting point.