Saying bye bye to hydroponics….

EpicAngel

Truth Seeker
Sum bitch H, that totally suxors... I felt like we were all about to get to see something really special with your new RDWC rig as to me it looked like it was about to be a perfectly tuned Top Fuel dragster but for weed. Man, RDWC sure seems to be a cruel mistress for a lot of people.
View attachment 110612
And from research I keep seeing the taste profile of the finished bud is more complex with soil as well.

EpicAngel

Truth Seeker
Can you cite your sources?? @EpicAngel
Ok ya got me my source is you tube lol
Maybe not the most scientific but I'll find and post a few of the videos you can judge for yourself if you think they r legit.
I'm making my first hydro grow after years in soil coco and soil/coco mixes. So I want to believe that people can not taste the difference.

Idk I'm very new to hydro what r your thoughts
Misterkister?

EpicAngel

Truth Seeker
Ok ya got me my source is you tube lol
Maybe not the most scientific but I'll find and post a few of the videos you can judge for yourself if you think they r legit.
I'm making my first hydro grow after years in soil coco and soil/coco mixes. So I want to believe that people can not taste the difference.

Idk I'm very new to hydro what r your thoughts
Misterkister?

And from research I keep seeing the taste profile of the finished bud is more complex with soil as well.
I dunno man alot of times when these Cannabis Cup WEED EXPERT JUDGES get together and do a blind taste test for the explicit purpose to guess what medium the best tasting weed in that years contest was grown in they all end up choosing the same "BEST" cultivar but then when they say it MUST have been grown in soil instead turns out to have been grown in hydro. I just got done growing Heisen's Lemon Frosting in dwc and it is without a doubt the most NUCLEAR LEMON weed I have ever tasted/smoked EVAR & I have had 3 friends tell me the same thing. While there is no doubt there is some absolutely KILLER tasting weed grown in soil I am starting to think the whole Soil tastes better than Hydro debate is a clear cut case of SLEIDL.JPG

First question I had in the first 15 seconds of the video.....how does one do a controlled grow in different mediums without using clones of the same plant so you can see definitive proof? Also, do we know if each grow received the EXACT same environment? Even the slightest change from one tent to another could make a huge difference in the grow. We all know hydroponics grows a plant faster than soil or coco.

I’ve wasted over 2years trying to get this method down and working. To end up with the same problems. My roots start looking brown. I thought it was food built up because I can never get my ph to stay set or close to set. So I’m building a ew grow room and this will be soil and coco blend. Bye hydro world I really wanted this system to work, I’ve always wanted to grow hydroponically but this has me beat for now…. I’ll be back when I can afford to completely rebuild my system from scratch. All new everything.
Just curious, what nutrients were being used? I used to use certain nutrients that would dye my roots a brown color. Back then, I'd be chasing problems that weren't even there until I realized it was the nutrients causing the color change and not rot itself. Changed up nutrients and never seen the problem again.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Have you not set it up and run it yet?

In my area there's no brown algae sludge so as long as I keep water temps below about 70 I'm golden.

I run dry nutrient salts, NO ORGANICS IN RDWC, you will regret it.

I can't wait to see what you do with it! Link me to the thread when you get her going?
Wow sorry seem to have dropped this thread somehow negative I have set it up in my shop to make sure everything was there but then took it down I suspect I hope brown goo will not infect the RDWC I ran bubble buckets for awhile never had any issue matter a fact I didn't even know what the brown algae H and others spoke of looked like so I had to look online I want to redo my shed so I can give the system a try

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Honestly I can't tell the difference between hydro and soil smoke or even organic vs salts for that matter...lol
I can't tell the difference, either, but there's supposedly some specific flavor profiles that only can be obtained from soil grows that don't use salt based nutrients. It has something to do with the microbial life, IIRC. I have no idea what those flavor profiles are, but I think I recall reading an article where they were saying that the skunk smell everyone is looking to get back was one of those profiles that needs the biodiveristy in the soil to obtain. It could all be a load of shit, for all I know, but I'm sure there is some sort of a difference. Not necessarily better or worse...just different.

D

Deleted member 2835

I can't tell the difference, either, but there's supposedly some specific flavor profiles that only can be obtained from soil grows that don't use salt based nutrients. It has something to do with the microbial life, IIRC. I have no idea what those flavor profiles are, but I think I recall reading an article where they were saying that the skunk smell everyone is looking to get back was one of those profiles that needs the biodiveristy in the soil to obtain. It could all be a load of shit, for all I know, but I'm sure there is some sort of a difference. Not necessarily better or worse...just different.
Sounds like elitist bullshit to me....

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf
Not yet. I’m building a new grow ‘room’ in the back of my shop. I well start a soil/coco run in about a month. I will my truck paid off by may and then I’ll stack that $$ until I can make one mass order.
I use coco/perlite and I just hand water feed to waste. My nutrients are always fresh and I feel like I have more control. I was under the assumption that's still hydro. It works for me, I started out with half my pots in coco and half in dirt. I found coco was much easier for me.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I don’t think so. I think people saying organic is healthier is bullshit, but to think there are some differences isn’t elitist bullshit at all. How it any different than how our bodies process sugars differently based on how they are consumed (sugar from fruits, vs refined sugar, vs sugars from corn syrup, etc)?

D

Deleted member 2835

I don’t think so. I think people saying organic is healthier is bullshit, but to think there are some differences isn’t elitist bullshit at all. How it any different than how our bodies process sugars differently based on how they are consumed (sugar from fruits, vs refined sugar, vs sugars from corn syrup, etc)?
To proclaim that it's better is elitist bullshit.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am one year into organic/living soil.

Not having done hydro, but having done salts then organic, the main difference I am noticing is that I am more easily able to keep plants perfectly healthy until they are ready to harvest. A perfectly tuned hydro would probably do the same, but one hiccup and your playing catch-up and watching leaves get crispy and ugly. Those leaves cannot possibly do the whole photosynthesis thing to it's fullest potential.

Purely anecdotal, but I am thinking the general potency is not effected. I think the THC, CBD or whatever major/primary canabinoids the plant is supposed to have are pretty much set in the bean. I think the individual grow is what's gonna bring that to it's full potential but I get just as high initially from ugly weed as pretty weed.

If you believe in the elusive entourage effect, then the terps matter. A plant that is perfectly healthy and photosynthesizing to the max until the natural senescence slows it down and the trichs are ready will have a better aroma than one you can wet-trim by brushing off the crispies. I've had both ;)

Last bit of anecdotal I can check up on and report back. I ran a bean, a clone, then the clone of the clone. Same plant, three different levels of aroma, with the last one having an entirely new 'nuance' to the smell. From the same bean. After all are cured I can do a side-by-side and get a pretty good idea what I will choose to believe. Without some stoner college kid getting a masters thesis grant for research and lots of testing being done, it's all bro-science.

EpicAngel

Truth Seeker
First question I had in the first 15 seconds of the video.....how does one do a controlled grow in different mediums without using clones of the same plant so you can see definitive proof? Also, do we know if each grow received the EXACT same environment? Even the slightest change from one tent to another could make a huge difference in the grow. We all know hydroponics grows a plant faster than soil or coco.
I thought he said they were clones off the same plant. Did I miss hear it?