Saying bye bye to hydroponics….

D

Deleted member 60

I dunno (many things)......but is anyone truly using "dirt"....purchased in a bag? I don't think so. There's no real "soil" in any of it. "Dirt" is that shit out there...under the yard....and nobody is sourcing anything of the sort. It's all "soil less" if it's in a bag/in the hydro store/etc.

I dunno how hard H pushes things....but if you aren't ramming it down their throats in amounts they can't use...salt buildup isn't much of an issue from my experiences. Just stop nutes (some call it flush) a few weeks before you want em to come down....add some microbes into the mix... and re-use that shit. I think I'm on year 6 with my outdoor grow "dirt". I just dump my containers...clean out the old roots....add in some peat (cus my water is alkaline) and more perlite....and start again. If you had no funky/nasty/ out and out problems in the prior run ...all should be well.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
If ya wanna fuck around and keep yourself stupid busy and confused......hydro is the way to go. LOL.

I ran about all of the systems. Aeroponics...NFT..flood/drain...Under Current....hydroton...rockwool...fuck..i even grew in Legos once when I was teaching the 3rd graders about the wonders of "hydroponics". Got some great yeilds for sure in my time swimming in the res.......but when it takes a shit..it's a full on colon cleanse that will fuck your game hard. 2 back-to-back root rot/complete loss events here with the UC.......after a massive clean job...or so I thought. That was enough for me. Back to "soil"(less) and organics.....

IF I was to do it all again I'd definitely be grabbing a big ass UV light....cus IMO..it's the only way to kill all the badness >for sure<.
you got great yields growing in legos please tell me more rofl

I dunno (many things)......but is anyone truly using "dirt"....purchased in a bag? I don't think so. There's no real "soil" in any of it. "Dirt" is that shit out there...under the yard....and nobody is sourcing anything of the sort. It's all "soil less" if it's in a bag/in the hydro store/etc.

I dunno how hard H pushes things....but if you aren't ramming it down their throats in amounts they can't use...salt buildup isn't much of an issue from my experiences. Just stop nutes (some call it flush) a few weeks before you want em to come down....add some microbes into the mix... and re-use that shit. I think I'm on year 6 with my outdoor grow "dirt". I just dump my containers...clean out the old roots....add in some peat (cus my water is alkaline) and more perlite....and start again. If you had no funky/nasty/ out and out problems in the prior run ...all should be well.
You can't be serious. It's all soilless?

What is this "dirt" you're using outside? And you're saying they're in containers that you dump and clean and add more shit each time?

I don't know why I'm still bothering to post here though actually, lol.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
The real gold is in the waterfalls as you say for DO. Ran a decade with 0 issues. That part should be all caps and bold....
True story. FUCK the whole airstones noise! I set my system up so the waterfalls are the circulation. One pump per system and done.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
UV works hands down. My UV tube broke and Amazon won't replace it. I'm just done having to go through so much effort for such little return. Just aggrevating . Can't really think of a reason to keep dwc going. If I really wanna cut veg times down I can just take more clones and flip sooner. A square foot of light is still a square foot of light.
No issues whatsoever on these, no losses, no ph to adjust,no buckets to bleach or clean, no shit to add, no pumps running constant, no water chillers.
View attachment 110647
You hand water or flood table?

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I have a current culture 10 plant with a 1/2 hp. Water cooler pumps etc. that I have never even tried thinking I don't even want to give it a go after reading this thread successfully ran some bubble buckets then someone had this thing forsale who really needed cash $350 later I owned it all

I have a current culture 10 plant with a 1/2 hp. Water cooler pumps etc. that I have never even tried thinking I don't even want to give it a go after reading this thread successfully ran some bubble buckets then someone had this thing forsale who really needed cash $350 later I owned it all
Dayum Nobighurry.... With a rig like that you might think about getting a newer gen UV filter and build a box around it to protect it so it hopefully won't break like H's did and fire that bad boy up!
HQUA UV Filter
71OSCtfurjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Dayum Nobighurry.... With a rig like that you might think about getting a newer gen UV filter and build a box around it to protect it so it hopefully won't break like H's did and fire that bad boy up!
HQUA UV Filter
View attachment 111074
Never seen one of these assume water in clear pipes is surrounded by uv bulbs/light? I know they have uv filters in water intake systems for those who still drink lake water I have never seen one makes sense perhaps I will have to give it a go when I get good running water in my grow building...thanks for the info

Never seen one of these assume water in clear pipes is surrounded by uv bulbs/light? I know they have uv filters in water intake systems for those who still drink lake water I have never seen one makes sense perhaps I will have to give it a go when I get good running water in my grow building...thanks for the info
Your welcome, and H gets all the credit for the UV filters as he says it's the only sure fire way to beat brown algea and all the other bullshit that makes hydro such a pita. BAD ASS RDWC rig right here (y)

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Have you not set it up and run it yet?

In my area there's no brown algae sludge so as long as I keep water temps below about 70 I'm golden.

I run dry nutrient salts, NO ORGANICS IN RDWC, you will regret it.

I can't wait to see what you do with it! Link me to the thread when you get her going?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Im in the same boat of bad water. I use ro but i have some bad root patogens. Ran a uv last winter and it workes well. Bulb broke and never replaced it. This winter im running into issues.
Some people run baccius amyloliquefaciens in hydro. Hydroguard or AG garden friendly fungiside with sucess with bad water or high temps. Canada is behind the times and one has to pay an arm and a leg to get these. If you habe a farm account you can buy a liter of concentrate for a like 200 dollars.
I may have to try an ebay order and see if it makes it across the border

Anyone using AG in hydro?

Im in the same boat of bad water. I use ro but i have some bad root patogens. Ran a uv last winter and it workes well. Bulb broke and never replaced it. This winter im running into issues.
Some people run baccius amyloliquefaciens in hydro. Hydroguard or AG garden friendly fungiside with sucess with bad water or high temps. Canada is behind the times and one has to pay an arm and a leg to get these. If you habe a farm account you can buy a liter of concentrate for a like 200 dollars.
I may have to try an ebay order and see if it makes it across the border

Anyone using AG in hydro?
That's how I run my DWC buckets Turpman, works great for me. I guess I am blessed with hydro compatible water right out the tap.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
That's how I run my DWC buckets Turpman, works great for me. I guess I am blessed with hydro compatible water right out the tap.
Thats good. I may have to give that a try.
I gave pook shock a go may have dosed a little strong. Girls stopped drinking. Gave that a rest and tried h202. Bee a coupke weeks with just nutes. Currently trying home made worm casting tea bubbled with molasses. Girls are starting to perk up.
Im i coco but with the constant wet it invites the nasties to.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Thats good. I may have to give that a try.
I gave pook shock a go may have dosed a little strong. Girls stopped drinking. Gave that a rest and tried h202. Bee a coupke weeks with just nutes. Currently trying home made worm casting tea bubbled with molasses. Girls are starting to perk up.
Im i coco but with the constant wet it invites the nasties to.
I've personally found that organics and hydroponic approaches don't mix well or gladly.

Organics means feeding the micro herd and that very often goes badly wrong when there's no soil and no buffer, as in hydroponic substrates like coco.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've personally found that organics and hydroponic approaches don't mix well or gladly.

Organics means feeding the micro herd and that very often goes badly wrong when there's no soil and no buffer, as in hydroponic substrates like coco.
The difference would be growing with fishes and using an aquarium as one of your tanks. No filters and algae is good.