Saying bye bye to hydroponics….

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Yeah the front right plant got the plague first, brown roots no growth. The other 3 was good . They was drinking so fast I didn't have the top off res set up yet so I think the roots suspended opened them up to issues. I'm just over the bullshit . I'm already under a big work load and it just added so much unnecessary work for 0 payoff.
What were your water temperatures like?

RDWC is like owning an old Lamborghini; when everything is working right, it's amazing. If anything is wrong, you're dead in the water losing money. There isn't much margin for error.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
When I kept salt water reef tanks diatomes were the worst to deal with because they come on fast and cover EVERYTHING.
Dude I was dumping in 40 ml of uc roots every 3 days. I pulled the plants out and brown algae was all in the bucket water. All it takes is one fuking diatom cell to get in and it's over. UV will kill it but the UV tube broke and I had to have water. That shit got in and gave 0 fucks. Water temp, all that oxygen , didn't matter. Shit was like don't mind if I do.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
When I add up all the time and days I've lost fuking with dwc and entire grows it's not worth the hassle. The 2 week boost I get in veg doesn't put weigh the multiple losses , I have never lost a soil grow and never have water or shit all over my floor.
Multiple plants would out do singles in dwc anyway. I thought about that after the fact. 40 2 week old clones in the same space as 4 dwc plants I would put my money on the clones.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Dude I was dumping in 40 ml of uc roots every 3 days. I pulled the plants out and brown algae was all in the bucket water. All it takes is one fuking diatom cell to get in and it's over. UV will kill it but the UV tube broke and I had to have water. That shit got in and gave 0 fucks. Water temp, all that oxygen , didn't matter. Shit was like don't mind if I do.
Yeah, when I had my reef tank I would go to work with it looking perfect and come home to a blanket of it over the sand and rocks when shit went wrong.

Buddernugs

Full send….always
my water chiller needs to be sanitized 1 time a week or I will have clumps of slime floating in my rez……I keep my rez at 64F and I am contemplating lowering it down to 62…..1 hr with no circulation on that water chiller (me getting sidetracked during rez change) I WILL see slime in my rez…..but……all my coco is Inoculated with springtails I also push H2O2 heavy….as well as a few other tricks…….10 week veg 10 week flower knock on wood no root rot…… I feel like a lot of people don’t realize water chillers have to be sanitized on a routine basis…… I run a two hour cleaning cycle on my reservoir once a week that is hooked up to my water chiller……. Before going to this extreme I had to run every single grow which is why a lot of people stay away from Coco And rdwc……… another thing that will fuck your shit up is sticking your dirty hands un washed and unsanitized in your buckets or your rez….you’re covered in filth…… you’re inoculating an sterile environmen……..so there’s nothing in there to fight off the filth you’re just throwing in there……1 time……that’s it…..1 time is all it takes…….iv had root rot every grow u till this past 2 years when I went above and beyond to fight it…….I use tap water155ppm start to finish I don’t even bother with ro anymore……

Buddernugs

Full send….always
@Heisenbeans h202 man I’m telling you……my rez gets brown slime floaters all the time……PUSH H2o2 HARD…..don’t bother sending Millions of soldiers to fight off other millions of soldiers send a tactical nuke and wipe them all the fuck out…….and run a sanitary cycle on your water chiller with PAA fuck bleach all the nasty shit in hydroponic is caustic resistant you gotta use acid and oxidizer in conjunction with one another it’s the only way trust me I’ve been there every fucking grow. There’s a reason I can veg for as long as I do in coco………….

Buddernugs

Full send….always
Do you use a sediment or carbon filter on your tap water
I don’t use anything …..nothing at all….. i just run sanitizing cycles on my lines ….my Rez…. And my water chiller all at the same time ….lit’s basically a recirculation line……. It works though it’s a numbers game you Gotta keep the colonies low just a little bit ago I came home from work and peaked in my razz because I fucked around last reservoir change and low. And behold I had a Kennedy half dollar size of brown slime colony floating in my reservoir that I reached in with my hand after washing it grabbed it and threw it out I’m not worried because it happens all the time like I said I inoculate my cocoa with springtails I’ll go down after I get out of the shower and take a picture so you can see just how many springtails I keep in my Coco…… they eat rot and fungus…..they leave. Everything else alone they’re also extremely resilient to each 202 and I mean extremely resilient 3% h202 will not fucking kill these things…….

Biggbudzlova

I’m coco dtw and my feeders kick on 7x a day for 1 min….my pots are 5-8 gal…….I had non stop root rot every grow untill I started useing h2o2 in conjunction with my water chiller which is set at 64f……I runout a 50 gal rez every 3 days…..so by the time the h2o2 is gone its time fir rez change….u use flora nova too which is part organic…..no air stone in my rez
my water chiller needs to be sanitized 1 time a week or I will have clumps of slime floating in my rez……I keep my rez at 64F and I am contemplating lowering it down to 62…..1 hr with no circulation on that water chiller (me getting sidetracked during rez change) I WILL see slime in my rez…..but……all my coco is Inoculated with springtails I also push H2O2 heavy….as well as a few other tricks…….10 week veg 10 week flower knock on wood no root rot…… I feel like a lot of people don’t realize water chillers have to be sanitized on a routine basis…… I run a two hour cleaning cycle on my reservoir once a week that is hooked up to my water chiller……. Before going to this extreme I had to run every single grow which is why a lot of people stay away from Coco And rdwc……… another thing that will fuck your shit up is sticking your dirty hands un washed and unsanitized in your buckets or your rez….you’re covered in filth…… you’re inoculating an sterile environmen……..so there’s nothing in there to fight off the filth you’re just throwing in there……1 time……that’s it…..1 time is all it takes…….iv had root rot every grow u till this past 2 years when I went above and beyond to fight it…….I use tap water155ppm start to finish I don’t even bother with ro anymore……
you say heavy H2O2. How much are you talking? After reading your comment, I’m really considering trying one more attempt at RWDC. Ive always wanted to grow hydro, but never had the time or the resources. Would you suggest starting all over again. New buckets, pipe lines, net pots, etc. I‘m currently building a new grow room, and everything would push back start time not to mention the cost. This would be my 4th complete re-build. I’m looking at getting all new pumps as well. My chiller is homemade and works very well keeping my temp 67*. I took it down before this ‘winter run’. Yeah right. We’ve had more 50+ days this year that ever. And I was doing pretty good until about a month ago. We got straight week of 70+ temps. So I’m also reconfiguring the chiller’s design Also. IDK???? One more question. What and how do you sanitize? Bleach, ordor ban.

Biggbudzlova

you say heavy H2O2. How much are you talking? After reading your comment, I’m really considering trying one more attempt at RWDC. Ive always wanted to grow hydro, but never had the time or the resources. Would you suggest starting all over again. New buckets, pipe lines, net pots, etc. I‘m currently building a new grow room, and everything would push back start time not to mention the cost. This would be my 4th complete re-build. I’m looking at getting all new pumps as well. My chiller is homemade and works very well keeping my temp 67*. I took it down before this ‘winter run’. Yeah right. We’ve had more 50+ days this year that ever. And I was doing pretty good until about a month ago. We got straight week of 70+ temps. So I’m also reconfiguring the chiller’s design Also. IDK???? One more question. What and how do you sanitize? Bleach, ordor ban.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Ive used h202 it works for 10 minutes than fries the roots and brown algae wins. You guys that don't have the brown algae don't realize the shit is real. This ain't pythium or the slime. This shit takes over and is hard to kill once it takes hold. It's like fighting powdery mildew in your res. Fuck that shit. I beat it by not fucking with dwc. I'll grow in dirt and have days of time left over cause I won't be fucking with the plague.

Buddernugs

Full send….always
I make paa by mixing parasitic acid hydrogen peroxide and acidic acid……….. they sell it premade it’s called Parisan a……. If you can’t find it try finding all 3 ingredients and make it yourself…… when you do it do it outside if you get any of those things on your skin before you have time to blink your burned ……..full ppe……..if u don’t feel up to it……just run H202 heavy enough to where the water smokes when on concrete ….if it doesn’t smoke on contact it’s not strong enough …..so what I do Is Fill up my reservoir just enough for my pumps to run and little by little I’ll add H202 until I reach a solution strength strong enough to where I take an eyedropper and drip it on my slab or slop sink….which is also concrete …if it starts to smoke immediately I know it’s good if it does not I add more until it does………then I throw my feed line in my rez and kick feeders on for 10 min…….then I rinse 5x after spraying out each time

Buddernugs

Full send….always
H2O2 to only works on that shit if the plants are slowly conditioned to handle higher concentration strengths……. Case in point …..I have run a sanitary cycle for 15 minutes with H202 so strong it turns your hand white seconds after you get it on there ….you’re talking 12+ percent solution strength……. 15 minutes one of my feed lines was in my pot ……the pot that it was in is the same plant that’s rockin my 5 x 5 right now……clearly you can tell she was not bothered by it…….. because from day one she has been conditioned to handle more and more and more which I will go into again H2O2 poisoning is a thing……… roots explode……… they also can handle a three hour soak in 3% h2o2 rents feed the next day they start eating …….you cannot do that out of the blue with that shit you have to condition them…….. if you don’t use at least 3% solution strength each 202 without hexanes it can’t be that brown shit you get off the store it Hass to be the can you get that is food grade it has no hexanes or stabilizing agents in it the food grade one is extremely reactive it’s way more efficient at killing…….

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
I'm your Huckleberry when it comes to RDWC. Most people screw things up by making it too complicated. You need cool water, 62-70F, good oxygenation, I use waterfalls, good circulation and dry nutrient salts from a reputable market not affiliated with "hydro stores".
The real gold is in the waterfalls as you say for DO. Ran a decade with 0 issues. That part should be all caps and bold....