Pro's not so pro grow.

Streetpro09

Tester
Copper Top
Well a few showed male pre flowers this week. 1, 2, & 4. I was kinda reluctant after talking with the wife. I probably should have let them go a little longer but I'm fairly positive and needed the room. One of these has some huge fan leaves! Not sure if I should be excited or scared! Lol. Pre flower pictures kinda suck but I'm sure they were balls.

1AA83EAF-42B1-49EC-A213-7B74C611C0A9.jpeg
FE53D0B8-8C13-48A6-8909-3426A39BBAA5.jpeg
8B801F48-7272-4E12-AAC1-CF9B5341581F.jpeg

62D1656A-A203-4200-B737-F958B2A73EA0.jpeg
Can't get over how big they are. Plus it's growing quick! I'm hoping it's a girl.

9D47ADD3-6EED-4518-9EBE-88490B1B06A4.jpeg
99BF4CC9-81D0-4784-B1DF-03FE071BD3B2.jpeg

The three that remain.

2B956554-1746-4146-B8FE-3B49882C04D0.jpeg

White Widow
Here are some leaf mutations I noticed this week. @Schwaggy P What do you think if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking it has something to due with its lineage?
The lineage of the White Widow is (Brazilian Sativa x South Indian Indica), neither of which to my knowledge is especially known for this type of leaf mutation. If I read correctly, this White Widow is from Nirvana (correct me if wrong). The origin story of the White Widow is very interesting in that there are 2 people who claim to have brought her into existence, Shanitbaba and Ingemar (old school breeders). Many have concluded that Shantibaba is the rightful creator since he brought her to the public and lays claim to the original parents in his library. The story goes that he bred her while working at Green House Seeds and after having a fallout with a business partner, started working under a different seed company putting out all of his original work but changed the names of the strains. The White Widow was renamed Black Widow and is put out by Mr. Nice Seeds.

Now you may be wondering, "That's nice, what does this have to do with my leaf mutation?" Good question, here's an excerpt from the Seedsman blog:
So it would seem that the Nirvana White Widow is at least drawing from the original White Widow that was being put out around the time of its creation (1994). Unfortunately, this does not say how far the White Widow was line bred from the original pack to create the seeds Nirvana makes available. We can assume that since they had the seeds purchased and ready for sale within one year that they did not go too far down the filial breeding line, so there is a possibility that their White Widow is an F2 of the original. So perhaps these are F2 that express a recessive mutation?

In looking at a few Black Widow pictures (since she's the original WW, we could get an idea of how prevalent this type of mutation can be), I have not seen the leaf mutation.
proxy.duckduckgo-1.jpg
Sorry I couldn't give you a more definite answer.

Attachments

Streetpro09

Tester
The lineage of the White Widow is (Brazilian Sativa x South Indian Indica), neither of which to my knowledge is especially known for this type of leaf mutation. If I read correctly, this White Widow is from Nirvana (correct me if wrong). The origin story of the White Widow is very interesting in that there are 2 people who claim to have brought her into existence, Shanitbaba and Ingemar (old school breeders). Many have concluded that Shantibaba is the rightful creator since he brought her to the public and lays claim to the original parents in his library. The story goes that he bred her while working at Green House Seeds and after having a fallout with a business partner, started working under a different seed company putting out all of his original work but changed the names of the strains. The White Widow was renamed Black Widow and is put out by Mr. Nice Seeds.

Now you may be wondering, "That's nice, what does this have to do with my leaf mutation?" Good question, here's an excerpt from the Seedsman blog:
So it would seem that the Nirvana White Widow is at least drawing from the original White Widow that was being put out around the time of its creation (1994). Unfortunately, this does not say how far the White Widow was line bred from the original pack to create the seeds Nirvana makes available. We can assume that since they had the seeds purchased and ready for sale within one year that they did not go too far down the filial breeding line, so there is a possibility that their White Widow is an F2 of the original. So perhaps these are F2 that express a recessive mutation?

In looking at a few Black Widow pictures (since she's the original WW, we could get an idea of how prevalent this type of mutation can be), I have not seen the leaf mutation.
Sorry I couldn't give you a more definite answer.
Thanks a ton man! Ment to write you back sooner but it was a busy weekend. Hope yours was good too.

I knew a little about the black widow but didn't know anything else about its lineage. These seeds were feminized so that may narrow things down a little. When looking at Nirvanas site it says WW is Kerala x Manga Rose. The plants these mutations came from lean toward the Manga Rose side for structure. Fan leaves point up straight and the stem kinda cocks to one side making the stem "kink" back and forth.

I also have a WW from that same pack of seeds that leans the other way. This one stays short and real bushy. Almost like a head of lettuce! It's rediculous how thick it gets. Stems grow straighter. Leaves are wider and shorter. This one is a little frostier than the other at this stage.

Which is more desirable? Or does it matter how I intend on growing it? Do you have some side shots of that black widow to compare?

Manga Rose leaner
D4F114A4-FB4E-4EB3-8356-C4092931324B.png
B2B927A1-FB81-4B20-8C71-DCB8EDF9D023.png

Kerala leaner before trim
81D1B4B8-38EE-412C-B48C-37BCB2025F62.jpeg

After trim
5A5056F1-39AB-4309-875F-294242BE2732.jpeg

Streetpro09

Tester
White Widow
Did some trimming over the last couple days. Let me know what you guys think! I got in there just before lights on. I get about a 10 sec window while they are warming up were it looks like a more natural color. The second to last pic is from that then. That's why it's kinda darker. We're at day 23 today. How's that look @Capt C ? I tried to stay on top of it this grow plus this plant takes less trimming overall. Will probably defoliated again around day 45 just depends what they look like.

Before trim on 5/28
929A67EB-8B5B-404B-A025-E4345F952EB9.jpeg

After trim today
DB7241C4-D5E2-4456-BD26-522434A91842.jpeg
510E697E-EF82-4167-A401-045284F9D68A.jpeg
DF67D85A-A68A-4F13-B55D-122A25841ADE.jpeg
658A5DE3-823B-4BDE-9F99-FB4616F4DE75.jpeg

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Thanks a ton man! Ment to write you back sooner but it was a busy weekend. Hope yours was good too.

I knew a little about the black widow but didn't know anything else about its lineage. These seeds were feminized so that may narrow things down a little. When looking at Nirvanas site it says WW is Kerala x Manga Rose. The plants these mutations came from lean toward the Manga Rose side for structure. Fan leaves point up straight and the stem kinda cocks to one side making the stem "kink" back and forth.

I also have a WW from that same pack of seeds that leans the other way. This one stays short and real bushy. Almost like a head of lettuce! It's rediculous how thick it gets. Stems grow straighter. Leaves are wider and shorter. This one is a little frostier than the other at this stage.

Which is more desirable? Or does it matter how I intend on growing it? Do you have some side shots of that black widow to compare?

Manga Rose leaner
View attachment 8727
View attachment 8728

Kerala leaner before trim
View attachment 8725

After trim
View attachment 8726
I know it's not much of any help now. But I have plans to pop some of my Black Widow toward the end of summer. I'll be posting some over in my journal when the time comes.

Streetpro09

Tester
Nice haircut. My flower room needs some attention like that. Stop on by for a bit and ill provide the herb and beers. 😎
Would love to man but that's a long drive or plane ticket! The wife and I might get out west early fall this year. ;) We'll see how things work out.

Just read through the journal and wow these are some nice big plants! I think I’m gonna do just two in my 5x5 next time and see what happens
Thanks man! I'm actually going the other way after that grow. I like your 5 in a tent. I switched to 4 in a 4x4 to hopefully help yeilds and shorten veg time. Those two big ones were fun to grow though! Lots of work and they liked to drink some water!

I know it's not much of any help now. But I have plans to pop some of my Black Widow toward the end of summer. I'll be posting some over in my journal when the time comes.
I'll be watching and ready to compare notes. This one will be around for awhile as long as my clones take. That clone will be a new mom.

You're welcome, all good.

I knew a little about the black widow but didn't know anything else about its lineage. These seeds were feminized so that may narrow things down a little. When looking at Nirvanas site it says WW is Kerala x Manga Rose.
ww.png
Which is more desirable?
As far as I know, there is not a specific pheno that is more desirable. Whichever pheno best performs in your environment and embodies all the qualities you hoped for when getting the seeds will show you which is more desirable.

Do you have some side shots of that black widow to compare?
Sorry, nope.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
White Widow
Did some trimming over the last couple days. Let me know what you guys think! I got in there just before lights on. I get about a 10 sec window while they are warming up were it looks like a more natural color. The second to last pic is from that then. That's why it's kinda darker. We're at day 23 today. How's that look @Capt C ? I tried to stay on top of it this grow plus this plant takes less trimming overall. Will probably defoliated again around day 45 just depends what they look like.

Looking good my man she is going to be a massive yielding pant.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Mine is growing great as well. I love when a freebie seed works out. It smells offensive and not quite week 2 of 12-12. It is one of my favorite canuck seeds but tough to control for height in the autopots. 3 gallon coco pot seemed to be just the right size and i think it will max out with room to spare.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Wait til those colas start getting fat. You might need some support.

:)

Looking really nice.

What gives white widow that ammonia aroma and weird flavor? what strain in the cross has that pungency? The last 2 times and i think this time too it smells vaugely of cat piss and spruce trees and amonia.

I had to grow it twice and then order it once to be sure i did it right.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Nice journal just finished catching up. We have a lot of similarities in our situations. My gf and I are a grow team, we're a bit new too. Started in coco and now trying rdwc. Props on the thoughtfulness of your grow layout amd methodologies. Your documentation and presentation are nice and easy to follow. Love seeing people gaining experience and improving, we're right there with ya. ✌