Pro's not so pro grow.

Yeah growth rate is nuts. I've seen them push a set of leaves a day before.

The only problems I've had are roots in the pump inlet hose which is 3/4". So I'll have to reach my hand down to the bottom of the last bucket in the system to pull the root mass out. Usually this is only after I've noticed a reduction in flow from the pump and once per flowering cycle.

Worst case, if the pvc get plugged, i reach down in the bucket and pull the clump outta the pipe and put it somewhere in the bucket where it won't get back into the pipe. I think I've only had that happen once. Probably wouldn't notice until plants were wilting from lack of water. Could also slow down pump flow to help avoid this.

A little trick is to trim back the longer roots in veg. As soon a one or three roots get longer than the others I'll pinch them off.

Another is to shove the root ball in a bigger net pot and cover with hydroton before flipping to 12/12. Or mix in the hydroton while you layer the roots back and forth in the new pot. That way its like a fresh start for flower. I usually use 4" pots for veg and then if needed, up pot to a 6". I have 8" and 10" on hand just in case but no lids to fit those yet. Actually the 10" are like lids for round 5 gallon buckets so they'd be kinda hard to use in these square rdwc buckets.
Just comparing notes really. I was thinking on my next run after this current one to use like fishing net to line the inside of the buckets so it holds the roots together inside the bucket. However, I use a much smaller pipe in mine but I think the trick was setting the first buckets holes the highest and letting them drop little by little each you go to the next bucket and so on. I think it helps the pump somewhat since gravity helps aide the movement of water through each line and bucket. Do you find the plant stunts at all when you cut the roots? I've heard people swear by it but I never had balls really to cut into a root ball. I guess it's no different then really as in soil I'd open the root ball some when transplanting to another pot. I bet you are adding 5 gallons a day of water when they are in full late flower lol.

Streetpro09

Tester
Just comparing notes really. I was thinking on my next run after this current one to use like fishing net to line the inside of the buckets so it holds the roots together inside the bucket. However, I use a much smaller pipe in mine but I think the trick was setting the first buckets holes the highest and letting them drop little by little each you go to the next bucket and so on. I think it helps the pump somewhat since gravity helps aide the movement of water through each line and bucket. Do you find the plant stunts at all when you cut the roots? I've heard people swear by it but I never had balls really to cut into a root ball. I guess it's no different then really as in soil I'd open the root ball some when transplanting to another pot. I bet you are adding 5 gallons a day of water when they are in full late flower lol.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're gonna line the buckets with fishing line. All i can think is your wrapping fishing line around the net pot to hold the roots tight to the pot and plant. If that's the case, maybe you could get away with using a hair net. I'm would think the roots would grow thru one pretty rapidly.

Idk if having the holes drop in height on the sides of the buckets would make much of a difference with the added water pressure above the holes. 🤔

Cutting roots ain't no thang. Plants usually don't miss a beat though i would cut off more than a third of the root mass at once. Like i said, i like trimming the "runner" roots back in veg. It keeps a much tighter/denser root ball up close to the net pot.

As for the water consumption, truthfully they seem to drink the most water from week 3 thru 5/6. Really it depends how much foliage is left on. If there's no leaves to traspire then they can't drink. Usually at peak consumption they'll drink 3-4 gallons a day. It also depends on how much of the roots are covered in water. I've noticed as the water drops plants can't uptake as much.

That's right, sometimes I forget what everyone's got going... Dam stoner 😎..
Thx JB
Most of us keep on going journals instead of starting a new one with each grow. Before this forum, I used to start a new grow with a new journal, this way others can follow said plants. My journal now, is all over the place but I also have 6 different grow spaces. Many also do breeding or run various spaces and find it easier to journal all in one spot. It also don't help there's a ton of different journals going and impossible to remember what is what unless starting from the first page.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Well...... if you don't think they'll double in size, there's plenty of room. I hate to go against your recommendation but I'd really like to see what they do naturally/untopped. One big bud, for pictures, would be cool. They're pretty good at branching out, so hopefully they'll get bigger around than taller.
Thanks for being the first to test/run Joebud Genetics. Everyone and I will soon see their capabilities.