Pro's not so pro grow.

Streetpro09

Tester
Well I got my lazy ass in gear and got something done this weekend. Started Friday night cleaning the RDWC system. Got about half way thru cleaning it when i bent over to pick up some trash and felt a pinch in my lower left back. Didn't really hurt that night and finished cleaning. Filled the system and got some beneficial bacteria dumped in. Was getting late so i called it a night.
20220710_122507.jpg

Woke up yesterday and could barely get out of bed. Was a full day of laying there until it hurt too bad and then getting up and moving around best i could until it hurt too bad. Did that cycle probably 10 times.

Luckily today I'm feeling about 70%, so was able to finish stuff up, just had to be careful how i moved.

Got nutrients mixed and plants moved. 3 of the African Chill are known females. I looks like a male but i can't call it yet and the other one might be too. The Super Chill have not showed sex on any yet. Will probably veg these for another week or so before flipping them. I wanna fill this 5x5 with the females, if possible. We'll see how many i end up with.
20220710_123916.jpg

African Chill
20220710_123128.jpg

Super Chill
20220710_123643.jpg

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Well I got my lazy ass in gear and got something done this weekend. Started Friday night cleaning the RDWC system. Got about half way thru cleaning it when i bent over to pick up some trash and felt a pinch in my lower left back. Didn't really hurt that night and finished cleaning. Filled the system and got some beneficial bacteria dumped in. Was getting late so i called it a night.
View attachment 116956

Woke up yesterday and could barely get out of bed. Was a full day of laying there until it hurt too bad and then getting up and moving around best i could until it hurt too bad. Did that cycle probably 10 times.

Luckily today I'm feeling about 70%, so was able to finish stuff up, just had to be careful how i moved.

Got nutrients mixed and plants moved. 3 of the African Chill are known females. I looks like a male but i can't call it yet and the other one might be too. The Super Chill have not showed sex on any yet. Will probably veg these for another week or so before flipping them. I wanna fill this 5x5 with the females, if possible. We'll see how many i end up with.
View attachment 116957

African Chill
View attachment 116958

Super Chill
View attachment 116959
Looks like some have 9 or maybe 11 leaflets.

Streetpro09

Tester
Making me proud @Streetpro09!
Thanks man. I was slightly neglectful of them for about a week. Hopefully next round will go smoother. I'm definitely taking clones from these. They are stinky already. Can't wait to flower them!

Looks like some have 9 or maybe 11 leaflets.
Yep and hopefully more once they get acclimated to the system and a more consistent feed program.

I like to run new plants without modifications. At least be able to see what they are capable of before manipulating them to my desire next round.
Makes sense and something I may really do in the future. Usually when I pheno hunt, I could care less about the weights of my crop and I want to see how they grow, feed and take to modifications. Do you find you need to add support more on a topped plant or one that wasn't in full flower?

Streetpro09

Tester
Makes sense and something I may really do in the future. Usually when I pheno hunt, I could care less about the weights of my crop and I want to see how they grow, feed and take to modifications. Do you find you need to add support more on a topped plant or one that wasn't in full flower?
Usually they all need some support one way shape or another. Especially in hydro where the roots arnt really connected to anything. If the limbs hold the weight the plant will want to fall over.

Streetpro09

Tester
Makes sense, totally forgot the hydro part too. Crazy how big they get so fast. Do you ever have problems with your roots in the pvc pipes?
Yeah growth rate is nuts. I've seen them push a set of leaves a day before.

The only problems I've had are roots in the pump inlet hose which is 3/4". So I'll have to reach my hand down to the bottom of the last bucket in the system to pull the root mass out. Usually this is only after I've noticed a reduction in flow from the pump and once per flowering cycle.

Worst case, if the pvc get plugged, i reach down in the bucket and pull the clump outta the pipe and put it somewhere in the bucket where it won't get back into the pipe. I think I've only had that happen once. Probably wouldn't notice until plants were wilting from lack of water. Could also slow down pump flow to help avoid this.

A little trick is to trim back the longer roots in veg. As soon a one or three roots get longer than the others I'll pinch them off.

Another is to shove the root ball in a bigger net pot and cover with hydroton before flipping to 12/12. Or mix in the hydroton while you layer the roots back and forth in the new pot. That way its like a fresh start for flower. I usually use 4" pots for veg and then if needed, up pot to a 6". I have 8" and 10" on hand just in case but no lids to fit those yet. Actually the 10" are like lids for round 5 gallon buckets so they'd be kinda hard to use in these square rdwc buckets.