Pitchin' the tent, payin' the rent...

• Thread starter Deleted member 60
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60

LOL @NoWaistedSpace . Still testing the "Boomer proof" tag. I haven't killed em >yet<...so that's something.

I took advantage of possibly the last 50+ degree day today and drug out the garden hoses/fired up the pump/re-filled my buckets up from the creek. Found the Bluelab pH/ppm pens as well a few days ago...and lo and behold...they still work. Those probes go to shit pretty easy but it performed the 2 point cal like a charm and appears to be working AOK. Gotta get some more calibration juice though. Eeeeewwww....pH and shit... LOL.

Water from the creek reads 38F....8.5pH...and 180 ppm's. Hopin' 135 gallons will hold me/get me through this grow cycle. We will see. I used 35 gallons for the veg cycle. The next pumping session in Mid-Winter likely won't be as easy. ❄☃❄Ah...it's such an interesting proposition to grow weed in the Winter here. :ROFLMAO: Gotta find that bottle of pH down tomorrow because there's not a lot of soil (enough, IMO) in there on this grow to ignore/hope the soil will buffer things out. Could be why I've been feeling like things aren't >as< green as I'd hoped...but I kinda wrote it off to the new LED's with more nuetral looking light rather than the deep blue of the 6000K MH that brings out those deep green to your eyes. Fuckin' Old People...

Like some of yaz also mentioned...I found the gnats as well. Bought some Microbe-Lift BTI a few days ago and am gonna hammer em repeatedly til they are gone. Bitches.

Running 5AM to 5PM for 12/12. Woulda rather ran lights on @night...but I can see some light through the zippers on the Va-China made tent so I'm gonna play it safe because the afternoon sun blazes in the garage windows well and hits part of the tent. Therefore...I'll be on fire-building duty every night @5pm or so until March 1 and then some. The lights will keep the tent itself warm...but it kills ventilation options and the cold garage makes the tent sweat quite a bit inside. I need to spray it with Physan20 to fight any nasties that might wanna try to form on the down low. These tents sure make their own fun, huh?

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
LOL @NoWaistedSpace . Still testing the "Boomer proof" tag. I haven't killed em >yet<...so that's something.

I took advantage of possibly the last 50+ degree day today and drug out the garden hoses/fired up the pump/re-filled my buckets up from the creek. Found the Bluelab pH/ppm pens as well a few days ago...and lo and behold...they still work. Those probes go to shit pretty easy but it performed the 2 point cal like a charm and appears to be working AOK. Gotta get some more calibration juice though. Eeeeewwww....pH and shit... LOL.

Water from the creek reads 38F....8.5pH...and 180 ppm's. Hopin' 135 gallons will hold me/get me through this grow cycle. We will see. I used 35 gallons for the veg cycle. The next pumping session in Mid-Winter likely won't be as easy. ❄☃❄Ah...it's such an interesting proposition to grow weed in the Winter here. :ROFLMAO: Gotta find that bottle of pH down tomorrow because there's not a lot of soil (enough, IMO) in there on this grow to ignore/hope the soil will buffer things out. Could be why I've been feeling like things aren't >as< green as I'd hoped...but I kinda wrote it off to the new LED's with more nuetral looking light rather than the deep blue of the 6000K MH that brings out those deep green to your eyes. Fuckin' Old People...

Like some of yaz also mentioned...I found the gnats as well. Bought some Microbe-Lift BTI a few days ago and am gonna hammer em repeatedly til they are gone. Bitches.

Running 5AM to 5PM for 12/12. Woulda rather ran lights on @night...but I can see some light through the zippers on the Va-China made tent so I'm gonna play it safe because the afternoon sun blazes in the garage windows well and hits part of the tent. Therefore...I'll be on fire-building duty every night @5pm or so until March 1 and then some. The lights will keep the tent itself warm...but it kills ventilation options and the cold garage makes the tent sweat quite a bit inside. I need to spray it with Physan20 to fight any nasties that might wanna try to form on the down low. These tents sure make their own fun, huh?
Do you get any sun between snows to melt the snow in a catch basin under black plastic or kettle over a fire?
I know this isn't listed on my "bucket list", thought I'd throw it out there.
Do it for the ph science,
between it and creek water. lol

D

Deleted member 60

That would be an interesting experiment @NoWaistedSpace . I would guess that snowmelt water would be lower in pH than well/creek water. The ground here is definitely alkaline. About 8.0 or a bit more. My well runs in tandem with the creek on pH. (it's only 50 ft off the creek)

High in pH or not...it's good to have water here so nearby. I couldn't/wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the creek. Even if I don't technically "own" the water that flows past the house it's a rare/nice amenity to have here in the arid West.

D

Deleted member 60

@NoWaistedSpace .... Snowmelt water - 7.7pH...120ppm. A bit less than the creek water across the board.

We avoid/ignore the entire "holiday" thing around here so I spent some time in the bloom tent today cleaning the girls up a bit. Took mostly lowers but took a few uppers as well on the Chernobyl's because they are so fucking tight. Starting to see em spread a bit though. The pH adjustment the last 2 waterings has definitely helped everyone green up/even up a bit.

I thought I'd find a number of cloneable shoots in the mix but it was crazy how few small fry there truly were. Everyone is limbing up and ready to stretch. I did find a cutting on a Snowbound, a Slymer, and a Platinum Frosting though. Heehee. Whore.

D

Deleted member 2835

I guess it matters where you take the cutting from the mom. To avoid genetic drift it's suggested to take only middle of the plant cuts.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I guess it matters where you take the cutting from the mom. To avoid genetic drift it's suggested to take only middle of the plant cuts.
You got an azimuth on knowledge on how many cycles of cuts to mom, to cuts to mom does it take before deviation begins amigo? I've repeated that cycle over 3 years probably 8-10 times and I've seen slight change last year and then no difference like this season. Maybe environment and media composition is the bigger factor?

New rabbit hole to explore 🐇

D

Deleted member 60

I need to podcast on that.... :rolleyes:

Nah...just dust the cobwebs old man. Pretty sure I remember that "they" (you know, "them") figured out that all of that genetic drift shit is centered around/found in hybrids only...not in the clones of a single plant. Either way....I never worried about such things when I was doing trays of cuts. I only cared about em rootin up.

FWIW/FYI...I bought 6 clones in '91. Flowered 3...mothered 3...and took cuts via moms for about 10 years...then needed the mom room for more buds and switched to a cycle of taking cuts from the veggers. I did that for another 10+ years. I did see some degradation in yield at the end...but the dope was as good/sought after/raved on after 20 years+ as it was when I first got the cut.

Just fuckin' around now. Wish I needed to mom up a few of these but I just don't.

D

Deleted member 60

SSSC wasn't fuckin' around. I wish I had that plant now. It'd blow away most of the shit that's out there being overbred/bottlenecked/slammed together. The shit would put colors on the back of your eyelids. Lotsa folks asked if I "put something on it?" It was one of those old creeper weed gigs. By the time you felt it coming on you'd already taken a few too many hits...LOL. Smelled like cedar/mothballs/hash and skunk. The shit you'd break to top of the film container on and the entire room would start talking "someone has the kind" "I smell a skunk"...etc. Fuckin' thing made me a bunch of money.

Proof positive that a plant doesn't have to be the frostiest to be the best. She had a bit of frost but it was the HIGH and the EFFECT that turned heads. I think we've fallen quite a ways as guys today just focus on the bag appeal/frost. This pot was miles ahead of any high I've found in today's genetics. I've also not grown many (noteable) sativas....so I'm heading into that realm a bit more now to see WTF I can find. Could just be me and my selections.
The last real sativa I grew was Shanti's "Mango Haze". Took like 18 weeks or some shit...and it was a major dissapoinment. Tasted like HAZE....but there was absolutely no high. None. Weirdest shit. Big, foxtail-type buds...looked excellect....but no high.

Pretty much stuck with fast flowering plants ever since. We'll see if these Humboldt selections pan out. Super fast in the scheme of "sativa"...dunno how they do that...but I'm gonna find out.

I have a pic somewhere of a Wheelchair bud I took. Back then it was scary to take pics of yer grow/etc and mail em off to be processed...LOL.

Fuckin' Old People.

D

Deleted member 60

I've been tracking this shipment through the holidaze. NASC did a great job making a quick turnaround. As often happens though... the shipment got dropped off the tracking radar 2 days ago....100 miles away. Figured it might show a day early....and it did....but the tracking said "Picked up at 10:46 AM by individual". Gotta have that lump in the throat on most every send...LOL...even if it is "legal". That'd be some fun/interesting mis-boxed/handled mail to see in your box/pile of letters, huh? Ran down to the PO @1PM hoping it was in my PO Box and not stuck behind the counter. (our Podunk PO is only open from 7-11AM Mon-Sat)

Bingo. The Hella Jelly is 60/40 sativa/indica...this is 70/30. Hopefully there's a zinger in there somewhere. Wet up 2 of 'em....so time will tell/we will see.
Fun freebies as well. Never ran the BB though the Snowbound (AF Cherries/Candy Diesel) supposedly has it in it. And a Mexican Haze? Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi! Where's my gatefold album cover and those 50 year old yellow Zig Zag Wheat Straw's?

DSC_4157.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
SSSC wasn't fuckin' around. I wish I had that plant now. It'd blow away most of the shit that's out there being overbred/bottlenecked/slammed together. The shit would put colors on the back of your eyelids. Lotsa folks asked if I "put something on it?" It was one of those old creeper weed gigs. By the time you felt it coming on you'd already taken a few too many hits...LOL. Smelled like cedar/mothballs/hash and skunk. The shit you'd break to top of the film container on and the entire room would start talking "someone has the kind" "I smell a skunk"...etc. Fuckin' thing made me a bunch of money.

Proof positive that a plant doesn't have to be the frostiest to be the best. She had a bit of frost but it was the HIGH and the EFFECT that turned heads. I think we've fallen quite a ways as guys today just focus on the bag appeal/frost. This pot was miles ahead of any high I've found in today's genetics. I've also not grown many (noteable) sativas....so I'm heading into that realm a bit more now to see WTF I can find. Could just be me and my selections.
The last real sativa I grew was Shanti's "Mango Haze". Took like 18 weeks or some shit...and it was a major dissapoinment. Tasted like HAZE....but there was absolutely no high. None. Weirdest shit. Big, foxtail-type buds...looked excellect....but no high.

Pretty much stuck with fast flowering plants ever since. We'll see if these Humboldt selections pan out. Super fast in the scheme of "sativa"...dunno how they do that...but I'm gonna find out.

I have a pic somewhere of a Wheelchair bud I took. Back then it was scary to take pics of yer grow/etc and mail em off to be processed...LOL.

Fuckin' Old People.
@stiickygreen +very true, i have no pics from back in the days .

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I've been tracking this shipment through the holidaze. NASC did a great job making a quick turnaround. As often happens though... the shipment got dropped off the tracking radar 2 days ago....100 miles away. Figured it might show a day early....and it did....but the tracking said "Picked up at 10:46 AM by individual". Gotta have that lump in the throat on most every send...LOL...even if it is "legal". That'd be some fun/interesting mis-boxed/handled mail to see in your box/pile of letters, huh? Ran down to the PO @1PM hoping it was in my PO Box and not stuck behind the counter. (our Podunk PO is only open from 7-11AM Mon-Sat)

Bingo. The Hella Jelly is 60/40 sativa/indica...this is 70/30. Hopefully there's a zinger in there somewhere. Wet up 2 of 'em....so time will tell/we will see.
Fun freebies as well. Never ran the BB though the Snowbound (AF Cherries/Candy Diesel) supposedly has it in it. And a Mexican Haze? Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi! Where's my gatefold album cover and those 50 year old yellow Zig Zag Wheat Straw's?

View attachment 133640
big bambo cheezeandchong

D

Deleted member 60

HSC has been around forever but I've never grown any of their gear. They certainly have a bunch of strains but with a set line up...there's definitely some stability in the mix. I like seeing that they've actually ran multiple gens of plants/chosen good plants/etc. I think they call it "breeding".

They have some nice autos as well you might check out @Fiddler's Green . I think you might be able to pull off something like that in your location...
That Sensi Seeds collab "Amnesia Jelly" sounds muy nice. I ran an Amnesia Haze cut for a bit there. Really nice, hazy smoke with a very distinct taste/smell when burned. Great yields.

Not sure I've ever ran anything that finishes in 45 days (Hella)....so we will see. If that is true...I know it will be in the OD mix here.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
Hella Jelly and their Blueberry Muffin have been on my radar for the short bloom. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out for you vato.
I still have 2 Blueberry Muffin seeds left.
I wasn't impressed with the ones I grew out.
I used to have a sweet cherry strain that you'd smack your lips together over and over gathering the taste after you took a draw.
I lost it over the years.
This orange that come out of the breeding project seeds is
some of best tasting to smoke I've grown lately.
Big ass buds too.
From those Afghani 1 genetics possibly.

D

Deleted member 60

We'll see if there's anything worthy in the HSC wares @NoWaistedSpace . All you can do is grow 'em and hope they play out/reveal something special. It seems to be getting harder, IMO, to find anything truly of note. Like I said earlier...I may go back to growing clones and fuck off the seeds cus it's getting damn expensive to BETA TEST for all these "breeders"...LOL. How many times can you cross the same plants? I guess we're gonna see...huh?

We just need a good, true "F-1". That term...like a lot of other things in the realm of "breeding" today...has been muddled of late to where it doesn't mean what it used to in the early days of crossing true >>>landrace<<< plants. Now it's like "I crossed those Cookies into that Stardawg and made F-1's"

Fuck me. Clown Show. "Experts".