Pitchin' the tent, payin' the rent...

• Thread starter Deleted member 60
  • Start date

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Thanks @treefarmercharlie . I may have to come up with a meter @ some point. All I can really reference are the charts they give w/ the light specs for various heights/etc.

My "how much" comment was more about wondering if a person should buy more light than the space they are targeting needs (for future needs/etc) >>>because<<< all of these lights can be dimmed to the point that fits the needs of current the space >>IF<< the light is big enough?

I have a few ideas in my head I'm still sussing out. In an >almost< 3' x 6' area the 2 Atreum lights will veg "OK"...but I'd be severely limited for any bloom action. Yes...it'll be tight >heightwise<...but i did start my grow experience in a crawlspace...with 1000 HID....so this is all kinda taking me back as it pushes me forward...LOL. Definitely the "old dog, new tricks" thing.... 🐶 Just looking at options/etc.
IMO, you’re better off having too much light and dimming it down some than having just enough light and having to drive it at its maximum output.

Thanks @treefarmercharlie . I may have to come up with a meter @ some point. All I can really reference are the charts they give w/ the light specs for various heights/etc.

My "how much" comment was more about wondering if a person should buy more light than the space they are targeting needs (for future needs/etc) >>>because<<< all of these lights can be dimmed to the point that fits the needs of current the space >>IF<< the light is big enough?

I have a few ideas in my head I'm still sussing out. In an >almost< 3' x 6' area the 2 Atreum lights will veg "OK"...but I'd be severely limited for any bloom action. Yes...it'll be tight >heightwise<...but i did start my grow experience in a crawlspace...with 1000 HID....so this is all kinda taking me back as it pushes me forward...LOL. Definitely the "old dog, new tricks" thing.... 🐶 Just looking at options/etc.
Sounds like you want a 3' X 6' space that can do all 3 phases if necessary. I think I would just puppet master another 2 Atreum lights( 4 total) and cheap/but gud ppf meter and then just dial in whatever light you need and where.

TFC makes a good point on having a little bit more light than you need so you can dial things back a bit. Take a look at Viparspectra 1500XS pro as they have a bit more ass.
Clicky for light

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
So how much light is too much light? Anyone? I'm wayyy behind on getting with it on these lights. I know HID like the back of my hand when it comes to operation/mixing it up/dropping the right light into the mix and running em close... but these LED's are...or seem to be...the exact opposite in many regards. Only 20-30 watts per sq ft for bloom? Really? No shit? Am I reading this right? Wow.

So 18 sq ft needs 540 watts....max?? I see some mention of "Kelvin"...but not all lights/manufacturers list the output in K. Just purty graphs and shit.
The wife said I can do whatever I want...LOL....like I needed permission...but it is good to not give a fuck about the $$ and any flack that may come down the way. I need to spend money on this shit like I need a hole in my head (OK...another hole)...but hey...I could be lookin at new trucks...

I was going to do a 2 tier system...one above the other. 2 lights...2 - 3 x 3 areas. However...when I set the tent up...I noticed instantly it's not all that tall. Not even 6 ft. So...in all actuality with that approach in mind...there's more height with it laying down than standing up. The 2- Atreum 100's will cover the area for veg...sorta....(LOL)...but I'm trying to decide if one more of those is needed...or even something a bit larger. You can always turn em down...right?

Still blown away to see BIG rooms with the lights all 5-6 ft above the plants. Sure is a clean look without all of the big ass hoods in the mix...but... yeah... different.

Found 2 "Condensate trays" @ Homo Depot (don't usually shop there cus of the ....yeah....that thing/those people...) that are 3' x 3' x 3" deep for $50 each....far cheaper than hydro trays...LOL. Should work exactly the same way. Ah.....weed cash. Drives the price of everything up even when you aren't making any.

Fuckin Old Dinosaurs...
About 16" is your Sweet spot.
It gives you the best spread across the canopy.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN

Not sure if this is helpful, I've got 7 total Atreum bds in my 2x4.....total 600 watts.
Never pushed it past 320, and for the life of me I can't get a plant to stretch like it should.
I don't think you'll have any problems with height, unless you choose to run some kinda crazy african sativa!

D

Deleted member 60

Thanks for the replies all. I got the same rec for Viparspectra from @MisterKister @Zaphod420 . Snagged a 2000 :ROFLMAO: cus it was only $30 more than the 1500 and that way I'll have a solid 3 x 4 area mid tent with the Atreums taking up most of the slack on the sides.

Stood there stoned this AM with the Atreums out of the box looking at the tent and brainstormed with the little pea about height/etc. I think i came up with something that will certainly give me some more headspace. (always needed here) Heading back down now after a bong sesh and gonna put thoughts into action... Fuckin' Old People.

D

Deleted member 60

Not sure if this is helpful, I've got 7 total Atreum bds in my 2x4.....total 600 watts.
Never pushed it past 320, and for the life of me I can't get a plant to stretch like it should.
I don't think you'll have any problems with height, unless you choose to run some kinda crazy african sativa!
Sounds like vegging under t-5's @Slowdrawl .Short and squat. Then they'd hit the HID and in 2 weeks they'd be all stretched out...LOL.

Those Atreum lights are pretty bright for 100 watts! A huge part of it is that they are 6 ft off the ground in this application...right about eye level rather than looking down on a flat panel...but definitely gonna be nice. My headspace idea worked out incredibly well and was fairly easy to pull off. Very stoked. Once I take some pics....I'm guessing that AC Infinity will wanna patent it for their new line of tents marketed to Fucking Old People who want garden standing up.

This tent will be fun for seeds/clones and maybe making a few S-1's if the right plant shows up. If anything gets too big I have the other tent to fall back on. I can also pull the slow-to-go seed starts on this run out of the big tent when I go to 12/12 and veg them longer if I want. Coming off of a couple 20 year old t-5 fixtures with burned out ballasts this is warp speed 9, Captain.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Sounds like vegging under t-5's @Slowdrawl .Short and squat. Then they'd hit the HID and in 2 weeks they'd be all stretched out...LOL.

Those Atreum lights are pretty bright for 100 watts! A huge part of it is that they are 6 ft off the ground in this application...right about eye level rather than looking down on a flat panel...but definitely gonna be nice. My headspace idea worked out incredibly well and was fairly easy to pull off. Very stoked. Once I take some pics....I'm guessing that AC Infinity will wanna patent it for their new line of tents marketed to Fucking Old People who want garden standing up.

This tent will be fun for seeds/clones and maybe making a few S-1's if the right plant shows up. If anything gets too big I have the other tent to fall back on. I can also pull the slow-to-go seed starts on this run out of the big tent when I go to 12/12 and veg them longer if I want. Coming off of a couple 20 year old t-5 fixtures with burned out ballasts this is warp speed 9, Captain.
you will get it all lined up after a couple ,rounds of changing things!

D

Deleted member 60

you will get it all lined up after a couple ,rounds of changing things!
No doubt @1oldfart ...I'm gonna play with it all and have fun/experiment a bit. Like tossing the tent on it's side and making 6" more headspace in it...it's no fun if you just follow the leader. So yeah...I'm expecting a few changes and some "nope...that won't fly" kinda stuff along the way because...per the norm...I always do shit differently than most. Fuckin' old People. I'm not in it for the Bennies anymore...so there's more opportunity for learnin' and fun. I'm kinda stoked to do some cloning again. I didn't pop a seed for at least 10 years...maybe 15. It all blurs together.....

Should have most of the gear by the end of the week. Fuckin' A it's easy to spend money on this shit...LOL (and everything else) Getting out of the cannabis realm on some things...like the trays...cuts the cost a bit though. As ya know...if it's dope related...it's gonna be sportin' a huge price tag 'cus the high rollers are still high rollin'...somewhere.

It >>>is<<< easy though. Just order that shit up! Blew me away to see pot stickers and a liddle book on "How to grow hemp in enclosed spaces" er some shit....right in the box with the tent. The kids don't know how fuckin easy that have it now. No sweating/fretting/waiting.... Amazon gonna bring my garden in marked boxes via Prime! LOL. Oh my...... no clue. Every minute spent focused on the grow. All luxuries we never had. And our dope sucked too! :ROFLMAO: Losers!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
No doubt @1oldfart ...I'm gonna play with it all and have fun/experiment a bit. Like tossing the tent on it's side and making 6" more headspace in it...it's no fun if you just follow the leader. So yeah...I'm expecting a few changes and some "nope...that won't fly" kinda stuff along the way because...per the norm...I always do shit differently than most. Fuckin' old People. I'm not in it for the Bennies anymore...so there's more opportunity for learnin' and fun. I'm kinda stoked to do some cloning again. I didn't pop a seed for at least 10 years...maybe 15. It all blurs together.....

Should have most of the gear by the end of the week. Fuckin' A it's easy to spend money on this shit...LOL (and everything else) Getting out of the cannabis realm on some things...like the trays...cuts the cost a bit though. As ya know...if it's dope related...it's gonna be sportin' a huge price tag 'cus the high rollers are still high rollin'...somewhere.

It >>>is<<< easy though. Just order that shit up! Blew me away to see pot stickers and a liddle book on "How to grow hemp in enclosed spaces" er some shit....right in the box with the tent. The kids don't know how fuckin easy that have it now. No sweating/fretting/waiting.... Amazon gonna bring my garden in marked boxes via Prime! LOL. Oh my...... no clue. Every minute spent focused on the grow. All luxuries we never had. And our dope sucked too! :ROFLMAO: Losers!
cheapest place for trays is the, family dollar store they have fairly thick trays for 1.00 each, for like a coldcut trays for birthdays and stuff. they hold a 5 gal. fabric pot, just right and deep enough to hold any run off.they have a chrome finish, all the way to the lip.get the round ones not the turkey trays ,they don't work as well!

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

@stiickygreen ,i used plastic pallets that ,they ship pepsi/ cokes on they are about 5 1/2 ft. long and 4 1/2 ft wide gets the tent off the floor, i had to cut 1 down to fit the tent on its a 5 ft.wide x 9 ft. long works real good about 4 degrees difference than the floor, anything helps in my grow.I have a sheet of styrofoam insulation between the pallets and the tent also.the pallets i got ahold of( they were free) had been abused nothing that my alum. burr couldn't take care of shaved the rough stuff right off

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 60

The new tent is elevated on a 6 ft long rack I built from those chrome plated 2 x 4 metal mesh panels they build use as display racks in stores. Bought 3 6 ft tall x 4ft long x 2 ft deep racks for a DOLLAR each. All of it sits above the 3 water buckets I have to use to be able to grow in the garage due to the lack of running water.
40135.jpg
The big tent sits on a 4' x 8' peice of blue board/ R-10 insulation. I learned a long time ago here that cold floors mean slow to no growth.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
The new tent is elevated on a 6 ft long rack I built from those chrome plated 2 x 4 metal mesh panels they build use as display racks in stores. Bought 3 6 ft tall x 4ft long x 2 ft deep racks for a DOLLAR each. All of it sits above the 3 water buckets I have to use to be able to grow in the garage due to the lack of running water.
View attachment 133159
The big tent sits on a 4' x 8' peice of blue board/ R-10 insulation. I learned a long time ago here that cold floors mean slow to no growth.
first plant i tryed to grow was on the floor,in a bucket about 6 weeks in i layed my therometer ( by accident)on the floor then it hit me, dumb as hell back then when it came to innie!

D

Deleted member 60

The Viparspectra came today...as did the light meter and the ferts. Trays come tommorow. >>Gettin' there<<.

I've always hated raising and lowering lights...especially in the old days...but "shit happens"...and i'm kinda over it with hangars and chains and all that. Had the idea that with these >new kids on the block< lights and the tent tipped over I might be able to just stationary mount em up as high as I possibly could and let shit rip via using the dimmers...and maybe...in some circumstances...I might have to raise the tray a bit here there. Either way...seems to me that it gives me killer flexibility for plants of all sizes.

Per the norm...there's only one way to play here...and that's...um...once I get something in my hard head...I gotta flush the idea out and see if things will jive as I picture it. So I mounted 'em like I envisioned. Why kill 8" of headroom with toy wire hangers? I simply hard wired though the eyelet bolts/etc and stretched it tight. I also supported across/under the light in one place on the little lights and in 2 places on the Viv. No movement..no tipping. Completely out of the space/way. Hung like this...it's 31" from the floor to the light.
DSC_4144.JPG
You can kind see the mod I did to the very loose tent above. Better shot below. I guess AC wants sell ya the side bars to keep it from sucking in, huh? Either way...it worked great for this application to have that extra material. Door zips just fine. FYI....it's luxury vinyl flooring threshold...cut to length for the bend I thought I could get away with...and then zip tied around the frame bars and arched up. Made a good 8" rise in the center of the tent. Bwahahahahhaha! Fuckin' Old People!
DSC_4146.JPG

Fuckin meter is tits boyz. Gonna be $90 well spent. It already clued me in here...and that's fuckin' priceless shit right there. :ROFLMAO: It's old man proof!
Anywayz...here's where it all shook out in them small soles as I sat the meter on shit that was different heights.

8" above the floor - 24.5 " to light - Just the Viv - 25% - 100 50% - 196 75% - 285 100% - 370
All 3 lights - 25% - 155 50% - 359 75% - 434 100% - 580

12" above the floor - 20.5" to light Viv only- 25% - 155 50% - 285 75% - 410 100% - 665
All 3 lights 25% - 183 50% - 357 75% - 518 100% - 739

21 above the floor - 12" to light Viv only - 25% - 270 50% - 530 75% - 791 100% - 1100
Getting this high up/the close to the plants...yer obviously directly under each light - and readings under each were very close. One of the Atreums gives off about 35 less than the other one...but everyone is across the board close as I slid the meter across the tent on all measurements.

I think I might be able to make this work. 😲 Gonna be nice to have a real veg space for the first time in the 8 years since I moved here.

On other fronts/for my documentation....

Ferted/Cal-Mg all of the girls in the bloom tent. Topped everyone as well. Should kick them bitches into gear. Readings in there under the 2 rspecs....

Plant top...14" above floor after trim...23" to light.... full power 980.

Since I need the heat....it looks like I need to raise these up to keep the volume on 11. At full power I'm upper 70's in the tent. Turned down a bit...I can't hit 70f. Such is why I needed a meter. I kept thinking in HPS terms/ways...

Old dog...new tricks!

D

Deleted member 60

Damn @BigBallzWillie ...I thought I originated the idea. So much for that patent with AC.... :LOL:

Gonna be fun. I need a bag of Rapids....but I think I better stick with a bag of 10....LOL.....least shit gonna get out of hand....

Fuck me...I could so kill it in this garage space if there was a reason to do so....

D

Deleted member 60

Trays arrived. Best laid plans and all of that...LOL. Ad says "36" tray...sized to 34" to allow easy access." Dunno what access they're talkin' about.... but either way... they are 36" side to side....not 34". Tent is about 70'ish. You get where this is going...

So I'm rollin with one tray elevated 3" above the other. Can't cut em without fuckin up stability/etc....so I'm just goin' with the flow. No stress on this shit. It doesn't pay enough (anything) to stress over any of it. It'll work...it just doesn't >look< as cool as it should. Fuckin Old People....

And I couldn't help myself but to buy more seeds. Should have enough space to toss a few more in there. Ha ha. Might be time to start flippin' some of these so I can keep this all rollin' and not have a buncha pot/trees I don't need. I'm gonna have hash for 2 years from the Summer grow. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 60

2nd wave of seeds from Can-Yada were transplanted yesterday into 1 gal pots. I could definitely tell that these were warmer from-the-get-go than the contest/first wave of seeds were. Melonsicle/Pisthash (3rd pop) are a week or so behind but coming along nicely. Gonna give them another few days before they get up-potted. Everyone went in the new veg tent.

The look-see plants and contest plants are doing well. Still very tight/compact after the topping. Waiting on plugs, clone gel, and some new growth...then I'll likely flip most all of these. Trying out some different, maybe slightly larger plugs. We will see. Anyone remember the giant plugs from Botanicare? Looks like those didn't survive the cut over the years. Couldn't find em anywhere. Not surprising though. It seems they couldn't figure out how to make 'em talk to your phone...:ROFLMAO:

Now I just need to find that cloning app...

D

Deleted member 60

Chimera/Truffle/X/etc. crossed up girls in 1 gals. TH Seeds Melon/Pist in smaller pots.
DSC_4148.JPG

Afghan Cherries x Candy Diesel....aka..."Snowbound". Good vigor on these. Back plant is one of the largest in the tent. Front plant was a runt like the PF contest runt...but started to kick in and right a few weeks ago and is now rocking well. Kinda stoked to see what these do/if they have the terps. Been awhile since I bought anything with Diesel in it.
DSC_4152.JPG
DSC_4154.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

Re-vamped the bloom tent a bit. Raised everything up about 18" and placed more wire shelving under the bed liner for better support and to facilitate getting the drain tray out easier. I used to have a shit ton of pumps/timers/etc from all of my years in the rooms but I'm hitting the bottom of the barrel on my searches. I need to set up a deeper tub with a pump and just pump the excess out. Yeah...put that on the list of shit to do...LOL. Got Shanghai'd putting up drywall the last 2 days for the wife...but it has been a long time coming and I'm not getting any younger. Fun shit though. 12 ft sheets. LOL. Fuckin Old People.

Bloom room is 12/12. I'm so far out from Summer/needing plants for Summer I'm holding with my original plan of just letting everyone flower out and seeing how they perform. No clones. I may do a few Pisthash clones cus she is a single seed...but as far as everyone else...I have more seeds. I just don't have the need for the weed or the room to keep things in motion/perpetual that long. This run will put me into March and I want to do fewer but larger plants this Summer...so a second bloom would have a serious overlap. I'll probably start my chosen Summer girls April 1.

Melonsicle's and Pisthash transplanted into 1 gals. Enke's/Rainbow Slices/Sugar Assassin topped. Seeds (first order from these folks) from NASC enroute. Their town got flooded recently in those storms but they didn't miss a beat on getting the order out. I'm done now. Hopefully something will pan out/stand out in this effort.