My Bagseed Experiment

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
So, Boveda 62 packs for curing. Yay or nay? I'm ordering mini hydrometers but would it help if I had those packs to control the humidity in the cure? I've seen pros and cons. Some people say they're amazing, others say the affect the taste and smell. Wondering what my CP buddies have to say on the subject.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
So, Boveda 62 packs for curing. Yay or nay? I'm ordering mini hydrometers but would it help if I had those packs to control the humidity in the cure? I've seen pros and cons. Some people say they're amazing, others say the affect the taste and smell. Wondering what my CP buddies have to say on the subject.
I’d just go with the hygrometers. You could use the bovedas untilit’s stable and then remove them.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Should not really need them unless you get it to dry. I used to use them and still have some but once i herd it could affect taste i stopped using them. Not sure of that theory but why risk it if you don't have to. I always thought that a tight mason jar in a dark area held a very steady humidity. Haven't really missed using them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The liquid in the packs is just a saline solution, mostly water. The thing about the packs is the packs themselves. The semi-permeable junk it's made out of allows the moisture to go both directions as needed.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Should not really need them unless you get it to dry. I used to use them and still have some but once i herd it could affect taste i stopped using them. Not sure of that theory but why risk it if you don't have to. I always thought that a tight mason jar in a dark area held a very steady humidity. Haven't really missed using them.
I agree. They’re a crutch you don’t REALLY need.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
The trick is slowly drying it down to 60% RH and keeping it there for the rest of the cure-storage. Everyone's process is different because the RH of your drying environment changes things, and everyone's is different.
I hang for 3 ish days then either brown bag it or go into a shallow toat with the lid loose so It continues to drop in moisture
I use little round hydrometers just put one in with the bud to measure the air inside. I try to keep it 50-60% Until I think it's dry enough. I then put the lid on tight for a few hrs and see where it settles. If it's high leave it ajar. If it settles at or near 60. I trim and in a seald jar it goes. My jars have a hydrometer in the lid. So I can check after as well. If wet burp. If 60 your golden. Tip-cure stops if you get it too dry and it will not resume if you rehydrate it.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
The trick is slowly drying it down to 60% RH and keeping it there for the rest of the cure-storage. Everyone's process is different because the RH of your drying environment changes things, and everyone's is different.
I hang for 3 ish days then either brown bag it or go into a shallow toat with the lid loose so It continues to drop in moisture
I use little round hydrometers just put one in with the bud to measure the air inside. I try to keep it 50-60% Until I think it's dry enough. I then put the lid on tight for a few hrs and see where it settles. If it's high leave it ajar. If it settles at or near 60. I trim and in a seald jar it goes. My jars have a hydrometer in the lid. So I can check after as well. If wet burp. If 60 your golden. Tip-cure stops if you get it too dry and it will not resume if you rehydrate it.
What is the RH of the space you hang the plants for 3 days?

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
I’d just go with the hygrometers. You could use the bovedas untilit’s stable and then remove them.
rH packs. Use. Always.

Next question :)
Got it. With my inexperience I wasn't sure if it may help. I'm getting the hydrometers regardless. I just want to not fuck up my bud at the finish.
So you didn't really notice any change in the aroma or taste? That was the complaint I did see on the few negatives in the reviews.
What is the RH of the space you hang the plants for 3 days?
^^this i also would like to know. The RH in my house is like 44. I'm concerned about the mini hydrometers because they all say they are ~5 up or down from the actual RH and it seems that needs to stay stable.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Which places the rH packs in the "can't hurt" category. Especially during curing. IMHO if you are losing weed aroma and you think it's because of a Boveda, it ain't the pack.
Ya for sure. I would use them but 1gall jars full are pretty stable. I have the above gauges mounted in the lid. They just stay where they are at. I started to use them but found I didn't need.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Which places the rH packs in the "can't hurt" category. Especially during curing. IMHO if you are losing weed aroma and you think it's because of a Boveda, it ain't the pack.
Okay. I'm going to try them. They're not expensive and the long run value is higher than the cost of the packs.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Ya for sure. I would use them but 1gall jars full are pretty stable. I have the above gauges mounted in the lid. They just stay where they are at. I started to use them but found I didn't need.
I was actually looking at those specific meters. Price is a bit different but they are the same. I doubt at first my jars are going to be that full. I'll be lucky to get a zip off of this plant.
I have the same ones. I was considering doing what I assume you did - drill holes in the lids and insert the unit in the hole. Prolly use some silicone to make sure there is a good seal.
That is a genius idea.