Mac's lovely ladies and some dudes too

SCJedi

Synergist
Just a PSA about Blumat BluSoak tape if anyone here is considering it for outdoors. I just took mine apart since it's Croptober. Not one single solitary carrot had water in it still. At some point I opened them all up wife ass open to keep up with out heat so that may have had something to do with it.

Part 2, I top dress with neem cake, crab shells, and rec/Bu's. In may spaces it buried my tape. It was find but just discovered a spot where aggressive plant roots broke the stiches on the Blusoak and created a huge runaway leak.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Just a PSA about Blumat BluSoak tape if anyone here is considering it for outdoors. I just took mine apart since it's Croptober. Not one single solitary carrot had water in it still. At some point I opened them all up wife ass open to keep up with out heat so that may have had something to do with it.

Part 2, I top dress with neem cake, crab shells, and rec/Bu's. In may spaces it buried my tape. It was find but just discovered a spot where aggressive plant roots broke the stiches on the Blusoak and created a huge runaway leak.
Thanks for the heads up on those. I'm debating giving them a go outdoors next year. Feel free to drop any other useful tips on these, thanks.

SCJedi

Synergist
Thanks for the heads up on those. I'm debating giving them a go outdoors next year. Feel free to drop any other useful tips on these, thanks.
I am unsure what your outdoor conditions are like peak summer but we typically break 30 days of 100+ weather pretty easily. Humidity might be 25-30%, so its a tad dry.

I had about 5-6 feet to spiral around a pot and once the plants got big enough (smaller than last year) I had to open all carrots full blast. I had one long carrot at the outer edge and one shorter carrot toward the center. In theory if either turned on the hose soaked.

The tape slows the wide-open flow down enough that if I top-dressed with EWC/Bu's and Neem meal and mulched with straw I was OK. BUT, some plants still needed more water. I hand-watered a lot but knew I could still drive away for a long weekend or more.

Not only would I watch soil moisture but I would watch the hose closely because if it is anything other than round there is slow/no water in it.

I ended up keeping my tape cap adapters but throwing out the tape that I used this year

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Umm 120 gh conditions lol..... it's a an environment of its own. Good tips, I haven't looked into these too much yet, gonna have to do some reading.
Hey Mac, I am experiencing some ph rise in my reservoir that i am not sure i understand. I believe you are running very close to what i am using as well. After i clean the tote i have been mixing a 10 gal batch phed to 6.2ish . 3 or 4 days later it is up to 6.8. Not used to using a reservoir so i am not sure why this is happening. The plants are unaffected at this point luckily . Are you experiencing anything like this?

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Hey Mac, I am experiencing some ph rise in my reservoir that i am not sure i understand. I believe you are running very close to what i am using as well. After i clean the tote i have been mixing a 10 gal batch phed to 6.2ish . 3 or 4 days later it is up to 6.8. Not used to using a reservoir so i am not sure why this is happening. The plants are unaffected at this point luckily . Are you experiencing anything like

I have it down to where I ph to 6.1 to hit 6.3 after about 24 hrs. Usually stays in range until res change after. You might have to play with it, but you can get it dialed and figure out what to ph to so you hit you're mark. MC's v1 was a bitch, always readjusting, lol.

Last edited:

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
@Capt C that post got jacked up on me. Click to expand and you'll see my reply, lol.
Thanks Mac i did not see it. I have figured it is from the city water. I was speaking to @HydroRed about this and have determined it is really not a bad thing. You get to go thru the whole range of different ph levels for nutrient uptake. Maybe i will start the next one around 5.9 or so.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks Mac i did not see it. I have figured it is from the city water. I was speaking to @HydroRed about this and have determined it is really not a bad thing. You get to go thru the whole range of different ph levels for nutrient uptake. Maybe i will start the next one around 5.9 or so.
Glad you probably got it figured out. Similar experience using tap for me. It took a LOT more ph Down to adjust vs. RO and even more to keep it down. I agree with the ph swing to let it catch all the nutes available at different ph levels. Although a steady 5.8 has been a good baseline for me to work from, keeping in mind I'm running full on water systems.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Are you experiencing any pH fluctuations on the new formula of MC? I always had "good" control on the first batch (drift from 5.7-6.3 in about a weeks worth of time with tap water), but stopped using it a few months back because they keep changing the formula and I wasnt really feeling the last formula they offered.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Are you experiencing any pH fluctuations on the new formula of MC? I always had "good" control on the first batch (drift from 5.7-6.3 in about a weeks worth of time with tap water), but stopped using it a few months back because they keep changing the formula and I wasnt really feeling the last formula they offered.
Not sure if this is just an open question or directed at anyone in particular, but I'm using supposedly Ver. 3 according to greenleaf reps. Didn't use Ver. 2 much but it looks a little less "dusty." No terrible swings so far. I'm only comparing this to the limited time I ran Ver. 2, GH3, and GH Floranova. All 3 were pretty steady for me in RO, while Ver. 2 succumbed to the rapid ph rise in tap (250ppm/7.4-8.1 ph fluctuation after probes sitting over night [no this isn't a typo]). If I kept using tap I would consider buying ph down by the gallon.
Something to note. I rarely had to use ph up while trying to dial in new growing vessels, but with the last few res changes, I've had to use ph up (actually GH Armor SI silica, cuz I want to combat the celery snaps). Using that also gave me white ribbons swirling around, more as the res emptied. No cal mag was used during applications of silica unless it was already in the current changeout and I had to bump up ph if it crashed below 5.5 (uncommon).

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Not sure if this is just an open question or directed at anyone in particular, but I'm using supposedly Ver. 3 according to greenleaf reps. Didn't use Ver. 2 much but it looks a little less "dusty." No terrible swings so far. I'm only comparing this to the limited time I ran Ver. 2, GH3, and GH Floranova. All 3 were pretty steady for me in RO, while Ver. 2 succumbed to the rapid ph rise in tap (250ppm/7.4-8.1 ph fluctuation after probes sitting over night [no this isn't a typo]). If I kept using tap I would consider buying ph down by the gallon.
Something to note. I rarely had to use ph up while trying to dial in new growing vessels, but with the last few res changes, I've had to use ph up (actually GH Armor SI silica, cuz I want to combat the celery snaps). Using that also gave me white ribbons swirling around, more as the res emptied. No cal mag was used during applications of silica unless it was already in the current changeout and I had to bump up ph if it crashed below 5.5 (uncommon).
I stopped using silica in my f and d. Its a good ph up for sure! 👍

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I'm running V2 atm, gotta use it up. V2 treated me a lot better than V1, it was always drifting up for me. I'm not sure how much it had to do with me using tap, but I have V2 locked down a bit better. Not sure about V3, but I don't want to be switching shit up all the time, lol. I was checking out the floraflex line the other day, looks like N could be controlled a lil better.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
That's not a bad thing either, that's kinda how I rolled with the V1, helps keep the def at bay...... Are the blumats running good for ya?

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I get the rings from the sweet candy, lol.