HydroRed's DIY Budget Flood and Drain (approx $40 total)

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
F&D #2 is now operational. I had to put a flap to stop the water from spraying because of that pump but its working. TDS650 Calmag and MC PH 5.7 with 4 eso tester beans. The other 2 are in coco but they have to veg out a while still. They are in a tray and do not get fed by the F&D.
I have a spare tote so i can transfer the plants and lid to the tote in the flower room when i am ready.
DSCF1908.JPG

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
Back in the day...many moons ago I made a ebb and flow out of one of those under the bed plastic bin. It worked awesome.
I still have it....use it in my veg room.Its not a ebb and flow...it catches water. I got out of ebb and flow and went back to being a dirt farmer.
I like weed grown in soil more than hydro...but that's me...

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I am playin the devils advocate in this thread, sorry red. Just going through scenarios.

If I have to drain and redo the rez once a month or Every 4 weeks unless I have a deficiency thats pretty good.

If I put a spigot abd sight tube like @gwheels on the drain pan would that be enough or do u scrub it and rinse with it out of the tent?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
A piece of advice on the hefty totes I think has been over looked. Get the same diameter tote, but a lower gallon/profile for the top tray so you can have a larger res to work with (less pH & ppm swing and less frequent top offs required). If you get two of the largest totes and just stack them one inside the other then you will greatly be diminishing the real estate inside the res for water to be stored. In short, put the short one pictured in the top of the large one pictured to increase your res space.
Untitled2.png

I am playin the devils advocate in this thread, sorry red. Just going through scenarios.

If I have to drain and redo the rez once a month or Every 4 weeks unless I have a deficiency thats pretty good.

If I put a spigot abd sight tube like @gwheels on the drain pan would that be enough or do u scrub it and rinse with it out of the tent?
Its not gonna be that black n white considering I run a sterile res so a quick change of nutes like you are asking about is sufficient for me. Someone who uses teas or organics might not find that to be sufficient in their exact same setup as mine.
Best way to remedy that scenario if you have concerns is to just buy an extra bottom tote (res) and just swap it out for fresh when you want to change the res by simply putting your top tray into the fresh one and fill er up. Then you can deal with cleaning the old one outside of the tent at your leisure and you will have a fresh clean one ready to go next time you swap out reservoirs.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
@Cob_nUt used one from there I believe? Somewhere around the 160gph rate should be sufficient.
I did indeed use a Harbor freight fountain pump on one of my totes.It was the smallest one they offered.158gph @$7.00 and some change w/coupon.

I like these because of the bottom draw.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
A piece of advice on the hefty totes I think has been over looked. Get the same diameter tote, but a lower gallon/profile for the top tray so you can have a larger res to work with (less pH & ppm swing and less frequent top offs required). If you get two of the largest totes and just stack them one inside the other then you will greatly be diminishing the real estate inside the res for water to be stored. In short, put the short one pictured in the top of the large one pictured to increase your res space.
View attachment 16053

Its not gonna be that black n white considering I run a sterile res so a quick change of nutes like you are asking about is sufficient for me. Someone who uses teas or organics might not find that to be sufficient in their exact same setup as mine.
Best way to remedy that scenario if you have concerns is to just buy an extra bottom tote (res) and just swap it out for fresh when you want to change the res by simply putting your top tray into the fresh one and fill er up. Then you can deal with cleaning the old one outside of the tent at your leisure and you will have a fresh clean one ready to go next time you swap out reservoirs.
Screenshot_20190730-161911_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190730-161920_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190730-161941_Gallery.jpgsame one I flipped the lid to diy an aerocloner.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
At my lowes those trays are not in the same area as the totes, they're located around the lumber, insulation area, used for mixing concrete/cement I believe. Thought I'd mention that in case it might help.
Thank you.I put about 6 miles on my legs walking around Lowe's on my quest to find them when I was building them.
I almost asked to speak to management requesting they stock them.Thought better of it.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Great thread for a perfect little system. Nicely done HydroRed.!
I had a hydrofarm system which was very similar with a more shallow res. I think it was one of the first models they made. "Emily's/ Amelias garden maybe? I believe Ed Rosenthal designed it. Great little setups.

I have a few tips for issues I've seen come up in the thread.

First when using coco/coir . You can line the bottom of the pots with a mesh/screen or a piece of poly vent/furnace filter material. It will help slow down the loss of coir and plugging of your pump.Roots will still grow through it fine. Make sure its a safe material.

Like HydroRed said. Always wash/rinse your hydroton or you'll have orange dust residue in your pumps, air stones, res, pots, and tray.

When cutting holes in rigid or semi rigid tubs/plastic. A heat gun can be used to effectively soften a spot, making it much less vulnerable to cracking while you use the hole saw in reverse is best. Slower if you have an adjustable drill speed. Sometimes with the heavier material you might need to re-heat. Practice with the heat gun First! Several times.! Use an old tub lid or broken one.

I lined my 6inch pots with poly grow bags in my E and F, it offset the holes and kept the hydroton in a bit better. Afterwards, cleaning the pots was much easier, and the bags I'd throw in the old washing machine after a quick dunk to rinse em off in a 10% bleach / water solution..

Great stuff all, loves these DIY projects that just plain rock. simple, efficient and so dang effective. you can grow a monster in a four inch pot with this system.

My only complaint with and eventually why I changed to soil/soiless mix. Cleaning the roots from the hydroton! (Which is much easier btw if you do it while it's still fresh and not dried up roots.)
When you have 50 to 60 gallons every time, it becomes quite a task. lol

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I did indeed use a Harbor freight fountain pump on one of my totes.It was the smallest one they offered.158gph @$7.00 and some change w/coupon.

I like these because of the bottom draw.
THATS THE ONE!!!
Its buried in the basement from a failed attempt at drip ring top feed on a timer.
The silica clogged the tubes and didnt work. But there is,new hope!!!

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I had to get mine shipped. In Canada Lowes does not carry them you have to go to Grainger supply. (25 each to the house with shipping or 19 bucks at the store).
I might have to get 2 more.

For coco wouldnt 1 gallon fabric pots do the trick on this system? They do allow seeping through the sides and a 15 minute flood time should do it.

Currently i am using 5 litre pots because i can fit 6 in the tray but they are close to the same size (5 litres = 1.32 US gallons)

And this is a bubble bucket vs coco coir. All 3 were plated the same time at the same height. The biggest in that flood and drain (hand fed coco) and the 2 bubble buckets.

And I have similar growth in my flood and drain to the bubble bucket. Water systems rock it for speed and size.

Attachments

Last edited: