HydroRed's DIY Budget Flood and Drain (approx $40 total)

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Great thread for a perfect little system. Nicely done HydroRed.!
I had a hydrofarm system which was very similar with a more shallow res. I think it was one of the first models they made. "Emily's/ Amelias garden maybe? I believe Ed Rosenthal designed it. Great little setups.

I have a few tips for issues I've seen come up in the thread.

First when using coco/coir . You can line the bottom of the pots with a mesh/screen or a piece of poly vent/furnace filter material. It will help slow down the loss of coir and plugging of your pump.Roots will still grow through it fine. Make sure its a safe material.

Like HydroRed said. Always wash/rinse your hydroton or you'll have orange dust residue in your pumps, air stones, res, pots, and tray.

When cutting holes in rigid or semi rigid tubs/plastic. A heat gun can be used to effectively soften a spot, making it much less vulnerable to cracking while you use the hole saw in reverse is best. Slower if you have an adjustable drill speed. Sometimes with the heavier material you might need to re-heat. Practice with the heat gun First! Several times.! Use an old tub lid or broken one.

I lined my 6inch pots with poly grow bags in my E and F, it offset the holes and kept the hydroton in a bit better. Afterwards, cleaning the pots was much easier, and the bags I'd throw in the old washing machine after a quick dunk to rinse em off in a 10% bleach / water solution..

Great stuff all, loves these DIY projects that just plain rock. simple, efficient and so dang effective. you can grow a monster in a four inch pot with this system.

My only complaint with and eventually why I changed to soil/soiless mix. Cleaning the roots from the hydroton! (Which is much easier btw if you do it while it's still fresh and not dried up roots.)
When you have 50 to 60 gallons every time, it becomes quite a task. lol
The best way I've found to clean hydroton, and this only works if you have xtra hydroton so you dont have to reuse it immediately, is to let it dry completely, dry as a bone. I do take out the majority of the root mass at breakdown still wet, then I put it in a tote and let it dry. I took a 5 gal bucket, cut the bottom out and lined it with a diamond mesh screen. I scoop as much hydroton as I can with two hands, throw it in the bucket, give it a good shake for 10 seconds or so, then into a clean container. You'd be surprised how well this works. I must emphasize, it has to be DRY, if it has any moisture this method doesnt work. You can buy a rig that has another bucket, the mesh bucket sits inside it, and you hook a shop vac up to the bottom bucket. I've found the single bucket works better for me because you cant shake the dual buckets and shop vac hose like you can one single bucket. You will lose the really small pieces thru the mesh. Also you want the mesh that's made out of wire that sorta overlaps, kinda like shingles(if that makes sense) and not the kind that's stamped/cut out of a solid piece. The kind I speak of has a edge to it that helps clean the hydroton as it rolls over the mesh. Hope somebody can find this useful.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Heh yeah nice method! I did a few similar in buckets with drainage holes. That mesh bucket sounds like a great way to go. Never thought of a vaccum. And it is much easier when you take that mass of roots out soon after harvest. That leaves a lot less to clean. Once a root mass ball dries and start to break down. oh what a mess. I also used a big tub, floated, agitated, and washed the hydroton in a mild beach solution then let it settle, and then scooped it gently out with a collander. Into buckets with drainage holes to sit in the sun and dry.
Those little rocks do rock in an E an F system.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
You need a flood and drain fitting kit. The pump goes to the fill side with the 1/2 fitting that screwed in (there were 2 sizes in the box) with the pump.

I can get a pic when lights are on in the morning. I want to add some bud explosion to the tank

I didnt have one for one pump (I found where they fell later) so i made one out of a plastic tube and gorilla duct tape. Worked great but the fitting is better

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Hydrofarm Active Aqua Flood and Drain Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3QJQDU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jx3qDbSV0R8Z7
I think this will do!
I went to lowes today and bought the mix pan that fits perfect into the 27 gallon tote!
Just like @HydroRed said!!
The storage containers are in a different section so,I had to bring the mixing pan to the storage bins but it fit perfect.
I will grab the other stuff as tine goes by. One piece at a time.
Its an investment. It doesnt happen at once.
But between @HydroRed @gwheels and @Keyown1 I am a believer!!

When the roots travel outside the net pots. Do they die?
Ive read on other methods and forums that they line the remainder of the pan with hydroton to give the roots that peek out someplace to go.
Does this seem like a waste of nute solution and hydroton?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Hydrofarm Active Aqua Flood and Drain Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3QJQDU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jx3qDbSV0R8Z7
I think this will do!
I went to lowes today and bought the mix pan that fits perfect into the 27 gallon tote!
The storage containers are in a different section so,I had to bring the mixing pan to the storage bins but it fit perfect.

Ive read on other methods and forums that they line the remainder of the pan with hydroton to give the roots that peek out someplace to go.
The roots outside of the pots dont die. There is usually a bit of water left in the bottom of the tray that they live quite well outside of the pot in between the floods. I have noticed that I'll get algae on the roots sometimes early on but once the canopy takes over and the light is blocked by the canopy that goes away. Side that with a splash of 3% H2o2 in the tray for the clean up. Its never at any time been enough that I feared the roots being suffocated so I wouldnt trip if you experience it. But yes, you could put hydroton in the tray for the roots if you prefer. Just a heads up...some hydroton floats.

For fill and drain kit, the one in your link will work great, but you really dont need the 3/4" drain tubing at all for this setup. The tray just drains right into the res through the 3/4" drain portion of the F&D kit without any tubing. You could use THIS F&D kit for half the price and just buy a couple feet of 1/2" I.D. tubing at low's to connect the pump to the 1/2" fill side of the F&D kit. Will work equally as well and save you a few extra bux too. For the "tray in tote" that we have, it uses approx 1' of 1/2" tubing to connect the pump to the fitting for just about all pumps. The pump you have should say how many GPH it is and likely have a 1/2" barbed fitting. I'd suggest using something around the 140-200 range. Then you know its fast enough to do a full tray flood before the flood timer kicks off.

Texagonian

Outlaw
I think this will do!

Check the botanicare ebb and flow bulkhead kit on amazon. The fittings and nuts for the bulkheads are built extremely well. No binding and an excellent fit with 1 1/4” hole saw. Got mine for 8.99 shipped. US dollars. Been busy as heck but I’m off tomorrow and will upload my set up which is based off of @HydroRed design. Much appreciated Red!

Texagonian

Outlaw
This is what I ended up with on my f&d inspired from this thread. Big shout out to @HydroRed for sharing a killer little system that can be modified in so many ways to suit your needs and keeps things budget friendly at the same time. My kinda guy!🍻 So instead of dropping the flood tray down in the tote I just set mine on the lid and drilled a couple holes for the f&d bulkhead fittings to go through and also cut a hole large enough for the pump cord to go through. I am using 6inch net pots to keep the hydroton contained and will be plenty I’m sure. They are heavy duty and fit snug in the tray. I’m looking forward to seeing this unfold. I opted to leave the sight glass off at this time but may add at a later date. Right now 100% leak proof! I think my pump is 200gph. I cut the flood time down to 10 minutes every four hours. I’ll see how this goes and adjust as necessary. I think folks wanting to get their feet wet with hydro should definitely give this a go first. C4799724-0680-4B50-ACF8-4FE2297ACA9E.jpeg752F993F-F75C-446E-8C04-FC3320AC3DBD.jpeg61C55EE9-37B1-4E14-A55F-1ACA0E93AAA9.jpeg82F7A7D5-2FA5-4713-9B54-0166C2C88818.jpeg8E056710-5BB6-4FCA-94E8-5F10205570DD.jpeg

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
This is what I ended up with on my f&d inspired from this thread. Big shout out to @HydroRed for sharing a killer little system that can be modified in so many ways to suit your needs and keeps things budget friendly at the same time. My kinda guy!🍻 So instead of dropping the flood tray down in the tote I just set mine on the lid and drilled a couple holes for the f&d bulkhead fittings to go through and also cut a hole large enough for the pump cord to go through. I am using 6inch net pots to keep the hydroton contained and will be plenty I’m sure. They are heavy duty and fit snug in the tray. I’m looking forward to seeing this unfold. I opted to leave the sight glass off at this time but may add at a later date. Right now 100% leak proof! I think my pump is 200gph. I cut the flood time down to 10 minutes every four hours. I’ll see how this goes and adjust as necessary. I think folks wanting to get their feet wet with hydro should definitely give this a go first. View attachment 16509View attachment 16510View attachment 16511View attachment 16512View attachment 16513
Nice! Great Idea with the lid. I see you have the same blue lab pens as I do.👍🏼

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
This is what I ended up with on my f&d inspired from this thread. Big shout out to @HydroRed for sharing a killer little system that can be modified in so many ways to suit your needs and keeps things budget friendly at the same time. My kinda guy!🍻 So instead of dropping the flood tray down in the tote I just set mine on the lid and drilled a couple holes for the f&d bulkhead fittings to go through and also cut a hole large enough for the pump cord to go through. I am using 6inch net pots to keep the hydroton contained and will be plenty I’m sure. They are heavy duty and fit snug in the tray. I’m looking forward to seeing this unfold. I opted to leave the sight glass off at this time but may add at a later date. Right now 100% leak proof! I think my pump is 200gph. I cut the flood time down to 10 minutes every four hours. I’ll see how this goes and adjust as necessary. I think folks wanting to get their feet wet with hydro should definitely give this a go first. View attachment 16509View attachment 16510View attachment 16511View attachment 16512View attachment 16513
Nice job man! Looks good. I will think about this design and see if it'll fit in with what I have in mind. Thanks for the pics! (y)(y)

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Great job dude! (y)
Just like you mentioned about the cost and level of customization, this setup can fit just about any budget or situation and yield great results. Def a good system for anyone just getting their feet wet with hydroponics too.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Great job dude! (y)
Just like you mentioned about the cost and level of customization, this setup can fit just about any budget or situation and yield great results. Def a good system for anyone just getting their feet wet with hydroponics too.
This is the perfect first system for me I believe!! Easy to rearrange and cheap startup costs.
I have old dwc 5 gallon bucket 6 inch tops 2, maybe save myself a few bucks and cut the lid off?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
This is the perfect first system for me I believe!! Easy to rearrange and cheap startup costs.
I have old dwc 5 gallon bucket 6 inch tops 2, maybe save myself a few bucks and cut the lid off?
Im sure that would work just fine. I just dont know if Id trust it with large plants though considering the rigidity of the netpot my be comprimised once the top is cut off?

Texagonian

Outlaw
Nice! Great Idea with the lid. I see you have the same blue lab pens as I do.👍🏼
Yes sir, got the pens or it was called the growers toolbox I believe. Snagged it off eBay with a make an offer deal for 80 bucks! Now if I could get a smoking deal on one of these new led lights, strips or qb. I’d like to give one a go. Gonna wait for a bit and get the funds in order before I snag more gear. ✌🏻