HydroRed's DIY Budget Flood and Drain (approx $40 total)

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I just looked and it says 36" long in the description....but I realized it also says its 120V haha
That looks like it would work good if it is the 26" long tray.
It's definitely 26" and it definitely fits the HDX 27 gallon. It's short on the Lowes 27 gallon, in length.
I got these a while back off amazon for less than $6. And it had a prime sticker...so 2 day ship. I bought one and amazon offered me an $8 pantry bonus if I would let them ship later. Fine with me. Then I ordered a second one and they did the same thing. So I've spent $12 and they are giving me the tray and $16 in pantry items.

Well you can bet your ass that it occurred to me that I could do this ALL DAY LONG, m'FER.
Sadly they figured it out, but I did get the three trays for a net $1 each. LOL!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
They have that brand at my lowes.Doesnt fit the way I want it too.

I did find a site with damn good prices on the ODJOB trays.Well,cheaper than anywhere else that has them in stock.
I might grab a few.

Out of stock
😄
I think you can order for in store pickup at lowes too. Just wish my tent was a tad bigger. The hefty will probably work but the bottom is not 100% light proof. I held it up to the lights and could read the black hefty logo. Might no matter so much, it's like 98%.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Though I havent grown in soil for probably 20+ years and Ive learned quite a bit since growing in soil.....Ive never had flowers like this at 6wks in soil lol
View attachment 18787
True things can go south quick with hydroponics, but they recover and adjust just as quickly too.
Heisen could probably chime in on this as I'm sure hes grown a lot of the same strains in both setups recently.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Out of stock
View attachment 18856
😄
I think you can order for in store pickup at lowes too. Just wish my tent was a tad bigger. The hefty will probably work but the bottom is not 100% light proof. I held it up to the lights and could read the black hefty logo. Might no matter so much, it's like 98%.
Dammit!!! I thought I was on to something. Every place not close to Canada is out of stock. Shit, I may just send Red some bread so I can get some to my shed....lol I'm a poet and I know it😂. I
have one hefty tote F&D setup. Plants didn't seem to mind so much. I'm not really sure tho.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

So...... I could get three of those units in the tent. 18 one gallon pots? In dirt I can do only 6, 2 five gallon each........and that's very crowded.

Is that viable? Could I run 18? What size would/should they be when they went in?
To fit this in, I'm gonna need to recomboobulate my entire set up or maybe just set up another tent for it.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Here is what I have found. I set the PH at 5.7 and it will rise steadily each day. In a couple of days it will get to 6.3 and i bring it back down (And check water levels).
I drop the ph pen right in the tray and turn the water on. This way I can test it operationally (which just saved my plants last night) and check the TDS and PH.
I think all water based hydro systems need frequent PH adjustments as the nutrients are leached from the solution by the plant.
I just move the lid a bit to put in PH drops. If i fill it i pour it in the top. Then i turn it off and on again and then measure it after a while. Just to be sure we are back to normal (and i dont want to lift all the plants out.
I have never used so much PH down in my life. But the stuff is strong so 1 quart should last a really really long time.
How often do I flood?
Do I flood with lights off too?
Other than that. Whats the deal with the tds and adjusting your nutes? Something like I measure when i make the rez , then check again days later to see if the tds went down? This helps me to see if they are using it up?

Whats thw most ph perfect system that would take the least amount of ph drift. I dono if growbro can handle mesuring and adjusting ph. Hes not too handy. I know it doesnt take much. I split,it 50 50 with dude, its my tent, my gear, my beans, I make the water weekly. He waters em once a day if he can. But I dono how hes gonna feel about the f and d ph drift situation. It ha gotten better since I chamged the rez but I'm gonna leave it and monitor how long it take to go from 5.7-8 to 6.5 because I dint think hes gonna do shit. Ita gonna be up,to me on my weekly visits to keep an eye on level and ph.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
How often do I flood?
Other than that. Whats the deal with the tds and adjusting your nutes? Something like I measure when i make the rez , then check again days later to see if the tds went down? This helps me to see if they are using it up?

Whats thw most ph perfect system that would take the least amount of ph drift. I dono if growbro can handle mesuring and adjusting ph. Hes not too handy. I know it doesnt take much. I split,it 50 50 with dude, its my tent, my gear, my beans, I make the water weekly. He waters em once a day if he can. But I dono how hes gonna feel about the f and d ph drift situation. It ha gotten better since I chamged the rez but I'm gonna leave it and monitor how long it take to go from 5.7-8 to 6.5 because I dint think hes gonna do shit. Ita gonna be up,to me on my weekly visits to keep an eye on level and ph.
The continuous tri-meters would be ideal in your situation. That way he could just report to you and you could go adjust as needed.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
How often do I flood?

When it comes to flooding, a 15 min flood every 4 hrs is usually a good place to start. I dont flood when lights are off.

When it comes to pH in my experience, (1) ml per gallon of ph down will bring approx 1 full point of difference within the 5.5-7.5 range. Should be easy enough to do the math on how ever many gallons the res is to keep the pH at an acceptable level.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
When it comes to flooding, a 15 min flood every 4 hrs is usually a good place to start. I dont flood when lights are off.

When it comes to pH in my experience, (1) ml per gallon of ph down will bring approx 1 full point of difference within the 5.5-7.5 range. Should be easy enough to do the math on how ever many gallons the res is to keep the pH at an acceptable level.
Thanks

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Meters that monitor your ph, ppm , and temp constantly. You just plug them into a power source/120v and throw the probes in the rez, then hang it up somewhere close to the rez. I've used hanna and bluelab and they're good but I also bought a cheapo one off ebay and it served me well.
Do you have a link to the cheapo? Love my bluelab but it's not cheap. Have you compared readings to your solid brand meters?

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Do you have a link to the cheapo? Love my bluelab but it's not cheap. Have you compared readings to your solid brand meters?
I think I ck'd it against a pen I had at the time, think the pen was a PTTestr 35. If I remember right I only ck'd it a couple times and it was pretty close so I just went with it and never had any problems. I used to like the hanna pens, was the first one I ever used, but after trying other brands I dont care for the hanna pens anymore. They may be better now that was yrs ago.