HydroRed's DIY Budget Flood and Drain (approx $40 total)

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
What is the ideal spacing between pots? Can they be hitting right up next to each other or is it preferable to have some space? There must be a point of diminishing returns the smaller the pot you go.

Also does anyone know if megacrop works better with any supplements, such as silica or is there enough in it already?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
What is the ideal spacing between pots? Can they be hitting right up next to each other or is it preferable to have some space? There must be a point of diminishing returns the smaller the pot you go.

Also does anyone know if megacrop works better with any supplements, such as silica or is there enough in it already?
All depends on how big you grow em, how you train/top, or how the branching is on the strain(s) you are growing. If you are planning to grow larger plants and veg for weeks, then you would be best to just put (2) 3 gal pots in the entire tray vs 6 small 1 gal.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
All depends on how big you grow em, how you train/top, or how the branching is on the strain(s) you are growing. If you are planning to grow larger plants and veg for weeks, then you would be best to just put (2) 3 gal pots in the entire tray vs 6 small 1 gal.
I want to grow more variety with decent weight. I can fit 8 x 5.5" square pots (a little over 1/2 gal per) in a Hefty tote. I plan to veg for a max of 4 weeks or less. Training will probably be one top and lollipop, likely no net involved. Unknown branching.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
So I went with Hefty Totes (thanks @Opie1) for a few reasons:
- Size (can fit in my space better)
- Perfectly stackable
- Lid can be utilized for a clone collar setup if needed (thanks @Boybelue)

8 x 5.5" square pots (a little over 1/2 gal each) fit side by side perfectly. More details about intended usage coming up in my thread soon.

Huge thanks to @HydroRed for inspiring this system and helping with all of the questions!
I made two of these totes. Love the modular aspect. If they work out good (which I'm sure they will), then there will be more built. Very affordable, portable, expandable, customizable, - everything-able!

Texagonian

Outlaw
Which jacks do I get? Where do I find a nute schedule?
You’ll need the jacks hydroponic which you can get on amazon along with everything else. 3.6 grams jacks hydro per gallon of water, 2.4 grams cal nitrate per gallon and 1.2 grams of epsom to gallon of water. The grams is by weight and then added to water one at a time. Never mix together in dry form! That is the full strength feed. You can do a simple 3-2-1 grams per gallon of each and will lower the ppm but either works all the way through. Good stuff man and you can manipulate the feeding of the plants, if you start having a magnesium deficiency then just add more epsom or if it’s having a calcium deficiency then add a bit more cal nitrate. I’d start with just this and if you feel the need for a bloom booster and want to stay with dry fertilizer you can get mpk which I believe is mono potassium phosphate.🍻✌🏻

Texagonian

Outlaw
Alright @TerpyTyrone this is what I found as per masterblend 2.4 masterblend,2.4 cal nitrate, 1.2 magnesium sulfate. Or for five gallons at a time it’s 12,12,6 grams per gallon mixed in one at a time until dissolved, check and adjust ph🍻✌🏻
One more thing as per some research I did. You mix the masterblend first, then the epsom salt and cal nitrate is last. Keeps them from binding and locking out. Just wanted to give you what I have as far as information. Good stuff bro!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
- Perfectly stackable

View attachment 19392

View attachment 19393
8 x 5.5" square pots (a little over 1/2 gal each) fit side by side perfectly. More details about intended usage coming up in my thread soon.

View attachment 19398

Huge thanks to @HydroRed for inspiring this system and helping with all of the questions!
I made two of these totes. Love the modular aspect. If they work out good (which I'm sure they will), then there will be more built. Very affordable, portable, expandable, customizable, - everything-able!
Just putting this out there for reference.
Test
- Fill - 4 min 20 sec 😄
- Drain - 10 min 30 sec (some puddled in the middle but the pots were empty)
- Very, very quiet. Some gurgling but a regular fan is way louder

Texagonian

Outlaw
Just putting this out there for reference.
Test
- Fill - 4 min 20 sec 😄
- Drain - 10 min 30 sec (some puddled in the middle but the pots were empty)
- Very, very quiet. Some gurgling but a regular fan is way louder
I have mine set to flood every four hours throughout a 24 hr period for ten minutes so everyone gets a good drink. There is a little that puddles at the bottom of the tray but once the roots get in there they float and live happily and also when it’s hot like right now they gulp it up. I’m actually in the process of making another and acquiring another 315 cmh to make 630w and two totes full of goodness! Y’all are gonna love it man! Thanks @HydroRed for the inspiration to make this and sorry for blabbing on your post spyralout 🍻👊🏻🔥🔥🔥

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
I ran Jacks Hydro and Calnit for a while before switching to MC. Clean easy nutes to tailor...if that's your thing. I tried the 3-2-1 formula,worked great,I got lazy and stopped adding the Epsom and the plants never skipped a beat@ 600 ppm veg to flower.
I was using enzymes(sst) bennies,and silica at the time so....
If it were'not for MC being a 1 part with additives Jacks doesn't have,as well as being pocket friendly, I'd still be running Jack's. They are both priced comparably.

Just adding this. Not trying to persuade anyone one way or another.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
- Perfectly stackable

View attachment 19392

View attachment 19393

View attachment 19398

Looks exactly like my list.👍