Grow Tent and Light Shopping

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
currently looking to replace my hps and black dog light that has a row of burned out lights already. It’s a 15 by 4.5 area. We can start with those

Big Perm

Budtender
Ok, I'd go actual QB's. V2 3500k and meanwell drivers.
Any discount I could get you on boards would be about the same as the DIY discount on the HLG website. Bundle that with a sale price or something for extra savings.
Mouser and places like them have sweet deals on Mean Well drivers. Usually if you order 10+ you get a price break.
Some metal at a hardware store, some diy, and you have a light that is not only better than some of those you posted (more diodes), but cheaper than anything you have posted, too.
I'd stick to the name brand QB, for warranty issues, if they ever come up.

That, or a strip build.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
I am completely clueless on light builds. Drivers and diodes and mousers oh my. Going to really have to break it down for me or refer me to a video to watch.

Big Perm

Budtender
Isn’t Samsung a name brand? Maybe I better ask about their warranty?
If Samsung made those boards, yes.
I can drop a Porsche engine in a VW beetle, doesn't make it a Porsche
As long as their warranty is good to go, not much to lose I guess.

Edit: I just get turned off by their false claims. They say their 550w replaces a 1000w hps, and their 600w replaces two 1000w hps. We would all like to know how they are squeezing another 1000w hps out of 50w.

This is from the link you posted:
BIGGER YIELDS!!
Growers are now reaching the unheard of 2.5gram per watt with quantum lights which blows away all previous forms of indoor lighting. One of our 550models is equivalent to a 1000watt HPS and our largest 600w model replaces 2 x 1000watt HPS!!​

Last edited:

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Isn’t Samsung a name brand? Maybe I better ask about their warranty?
You can also take those old lights and convert them to cob lights. I did it to 2 vipraspectra 300 and it is 10 times the light and draws less watts at the wall. I made a thread on the conversation. I have 2 QB260 DIY BUILDS, it is 4 boards but 2 drivers and each draws 288 watts. IN A 4X4 and it kills it. Great product and puts out the par.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
If Samsung made those boards, yes.
I can drop a Porsche engine in a VW beetle, doesn't make it a Porsche
As long as their warranty is good to go, not much to lose I guess.

Edit: I just get turned off by their false claims. They say their 550w replaces a 1000w hps, and their 600w replaces two 1000w hps. We would all like to know how they are squeezing another 1000w hps out of 50w.

This is from the link you posted:
BIGGER YIELDS!!
Growers are now reaching the unheard of 2.5gram per watt with quantum lights which blows away all previous forms of indoor lighting. One of our 550models is equivalent to a 1000watt HPS and our largest 600w model replaces 2 x 1000watt HPS!!​
Lol I see your point I was just hoping it was equivalent to a 1000 watt hps. But I’m not good with lights and the logistics of it. Thank u for helping me through this

Big Perm

Budtender
Lol I see your point I was just hoping it was equivalent to a 1000 watt hps. But I’m not good with lights and the logistics of it. Thank u for helping me through this
Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that their 550 and 600w are good lights, and will grow good buds. It's just fucked up when they claim a lot of false stuff, use inaccurate information, and use crafty word selection to sell their stuff.
A diode isn't a just a diode. There are different bins for the same diode. These are bottom bin diodes. Where something like HLG is top bin diodes.
Also, if they are lying about simple claims, and using words that are similar, or even the same as another company (Rspec). What's to say they aren't stealing Samsung's name and those aren't even the diodes that they say they are?
Just pointing a few things out.

Big Perm

Budtender
Hahaha, you know what? Fuck it, those knock offs work just fine in my book. Didn't mean to shill some HLG there. A lower bin diode can be turned into a high bin diode by simply lowering the light an inch or two.
👶

Big Perm

Budtender
CoBs are pretty good, too. Lots of people still running them, and the prices have come down.
I guess that's more on the diy side though

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
How much u wanna pay me a light? This one was a bitch. But I have easier designs not using a grinder. Cheaper too. 2 sets of 300watt qb132 and 2 lrs drivers for 360$ 600 true watts will explode a flower room. Get 4k and 3k to mix spectrum. The drivers leave room for adding reds. Maybe if I cab ever get my step down converter and deep red strips from china. Ughhhh this CV is such a bummer!

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Qb96 79$ 3500k mixed reds
Meanwell driver 185watts-54volts 60$
1 set of 4 qb132's 3000k 139$
Lrs350-36 40$
=500ish watts for 320$
Ya gotta know your way around a tape measure.
That would be sweet if you could put it on a spinner to make it spin in the grow room to have it at different angles
Was hoping to get it under or around 400. I just get confused with all the parts diodes. If I had everything in front of me I’m sure I could get it together. I think I’m going to try and build one. Shit everyone else is doin it