Fruit and vegetable gardens 2023

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My peppers are just starting to come in, and my slicing tomatoes are not producing well, but I have cherry tomatoes out the ass. The top tray has the tomatoes from one limb in the center that are mostly just turning. They were the last HALF off that limb, and it seemed the plant was not producing a lot more with them still hanging. There were probably close to 100 on that limb, but only two fruiting limbs on the plant, the second one with less. There were new flowers starting so I took the whole limb off to see if that jump starts it.

The "Pink Fang" romas on the upper tray are super star producers. the font two had some blossom end rot so I have been pulling them as they turn. The "Prarie Fire" romas on the "ripe" tray at the bottom are cool looking and might have done better if not for chipmunks.
The larger red cherries are Chadwick, and another big producer. They are not great eating texture-wise, mind of mealy, but the flavor is good and run through the juicer it makes a paste instead of juice.
The big green "Evil Olive" tomatoes are hard as rocks. I pilled a few to see what happens but the rest are staying on the vine.
Tomatillos are gonna be the next big harvest. Lots of them that should ripen to the size of the ones lower right.
IMG_5836.JPG

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
After a couple years of trying to keep a living mulch I've decided Dutch White Clover is better for ground cover than mulch (in my case) next time around I'll be using Crimson Clover and legumes.
Too much crowding from the clover
20230717_184551.jpg

This pumpkin is growing like crazy, about six inches in each direction per day. The distance between posts is 24' and it almost spread across.
20230717_184636.jpg
We culled the runt it was about to run into.

The apples are doing the best we've seen so far
20230717_184734.jpg

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Pickles are done! So far this season I’ve made 22 quarts of pickles.
View attachment 129542
Got a recipe?

We're just about chop our cilantro for seed. Two of the eight plants have and orange peel finish, I don't know how that would translate into the coriander but if I can get a reliable cucumber variety I'll definitely be doing the same.

D

Deleted member 60

Seasonal reference to show how far behind we can be in comparison to the low land folks:

We ate our first ripe Cherokee Purp last night. Beets is makin beets. Seeing carrot tops. Got the first pick of green beans. Cabbages are forming tight heads...softball size or a bit more. Onions are bulbing. Sunflowers about to bloom...and we are a bit ahead of the norm for this time of the season. Everything looks damn good though....so it's just a waiting game now.