Fruit and vegetable gardens 2023

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My tomatoes are mostly played out for a few weeks until the new plants or re-vegged old ones can start producing. I kept one or two low side limbs on the better producing tomatoes and cut away the old nasty upper part. I filled in a the gaps with a few tomatoes I still had in pots and most of the peppers I had inside in a tent. Some beans have done well on the fences since it started raining and cooling off, I'll be planting lots to fill in those gaps. My older pepper plants are starting to thrive and the shrub in the lwer right corner is two tomatillo plants that have tons of fruit bio-mass.
The bed up top has some odd pollinators in it and is mainly building soil for next year. it's set up hugel style and is where I toss any shrooms I find in the wood I can't identify as edible. The almost empty one is wood-chipper wood from hardwood limbs.
IMG_6217.JPG
The craziest thing so far is the Chinese red noodle bean. Only one so far, but that was on a scraggly pre-rain plant. It's taking off now. I'm letting this go to seed and see if they look like they'll work as dry beans like for chili
IMG_6211.JPG
All the peppers had a few mature-ish peppers on the lower parts but the tops are flowering big time. I pulled a test pepper to see if they ripen (hot) or rot (bell) on the counter. One tomatillo is ripening to yellow, and odd shaped, and they are hollow inside with a little seed clump like a pepper instead of being sold like the green ones. It's not as good at fruiting either so it's a pass next season unless they are super tasty. That's two pods that were the only beans on a "Christmas Pole" lima, and they are beautiful so they get planted to see if I can get a fall crop - not those actual beans, just more from the pack LOL.
IMG_6207.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
My tomatoes are coming in strong. I used up 6.5 pounds to make salsa the other day and still have all of this.
IMG_4556.jpeg
I also pulled the carrots yesterday. Lots of smaller and twisted ones this year so I’ll need to add some sand to that bed next season and loosen up the soil.
IMG_4559.jpeg
Anyone seen this mutation before? I’m getting a lot of these but only from one plant.
IMG_4552.jpeg

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
My tomatoes are coming in strong. I used up 6.5 pounds to make salsa the other day and still have all of this.
View attachment 129716
I also pulled the carrots yesterday. Lots of smaller and twisted ones this year so I’ll need to add some sand to that bed next season and loosen up the soil.
View attachment 129717
Anyone seen this mutation before? I’m getting a lot of these but only from one plant.
View attachment 129718
yep,just like a double yoke egg

D

Deleted member 60

Still crankin' along here in the hills. Seeing some blushing on the tomatoes so it won't be too long before the flow starts. Early cabbage is done and someone is eatin' on it... fuckers. Onions coming in as the stalks fall over. Beets rockin'. Carrots are readying. 15 pints of Dilly beans in the cabinet... 1st wave has another pick....2nd wave full of blooms. Now the game starts to try to finish things before the cold sets in. We will see. Farmer's almanac/weatherdudes say we are in for "El Nino" and a cold/snowy Winter...

Moved the M/F plants from the hoop to the garden. 10 plants. Gonna be a fairly even look at the C99 x Headbangers and Double Dawgs. One Mendo Cookies decided to play as well. Once the cabbages/green beans are picked I can spread em out more in the rows to finish up. Hopin the C99's are as good as I think they will be....
DSC_4013.JPG

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Still crankin' along here in the hills. Seeing some blushing on the tomatoes so it won't be too long before the flow starts. Early cabbage is done and someone is eatin' on it... fuckers. Onions coming in as the stalks fall over. Beets rockin'. Carrots are readying. 15 pints of Dilly beans in the cabinet... 1st wave has another pick....2nd wave full of blooms. Now the game starts to try to finish things before the cold sets in. We will see. Farmer's almanac/weatherdudes say we are in for "El Nino" and a cold/snowy Winter...

Moved the M/F plants from the hoop to the garden. 10 plants. Gonna be a fairly even look at the C99 x Headbangers and Double Dawgs. One Mendo Cookies decided to play as well. Once the cabbages/green beans are picked I can spread em out more in the rows to finish up. Hopin the C99's are as good as I think they will be....
View attachment 129806
Those rows are looking fabulous vato