Briscos Bargain Beans

suthrngrwr

Transcendental Humanist, AnCap & Weed Enthusiast
In my area, it's insanity to think you could be so daring as to run dozens of plants and do selection and breeding.
But I figure that if you get 3-5 males from a popularly grown and liked strain, and let all the healthy ones toss dust over several shirleys from good strains, that each made seed will carry predominantly good genes. Please don't argue science...this was just a stoned thought, and I've chosen to run with it.
If your goal for breeding is to open up genetic expression in the initial generation of offspring I think it makes sense. Plus, who are we to decide which genes recombine favorably without first observing said phenotypes? Cannabis genome, while not as complex as humans, is still largely unmapped and not well understood. It seems to me like keeping genetic options open will result in the largest number of desirable phenotypes.

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
If your goal for breeding is to open up genetic expression in the initial generation of offspring I think it makes sense. Plus, who are we to decide which genes recombine favorably without first observing said phenotypes? Cannabis genome, while not as complex as humans, is still largely unmapped and not well understood. It seems to me like keeping genetic options open will result in the largest number of desirable phenotypes.
There's that 'science' stuff that I mostly don't grok. :unsure: But I understood the " I think it makes sense" part. Cool. :giggle:

suthrngrwr

Transcendental Humanist, AnCap & Weed Enthusiast
There's that 'science' stuff that I mostly don't grok. :unsure: But I understood the " I think it makes sense" part. Cool. :giggle:
Some breeders take the pinpoint, one shot to the heart approach. Others take the shotgun blast approach. Neither are wrong and both serve different purposes and could be used to achieve the same goals. Genetic preservation is done through the shotgun blast approach, whereas line breeding is almost exclusively done using phenotype selection and eventually homing in on a true breeding genotype.

For the adventurous cultivators, your approach is quite a bit more interesting!

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
....well catastrophe struck as I stood back and was observing my handy work supercropping.Damn light bar came swinging down,crashing thru the middle of the Dixie:eek::mad:
20190323_022603.jpg
Smh completely evacuating the middle.She's tough,vigorous and strong tho.There was a nice knuckle where she was 1st supercropped before she started flowering that saved a few branches but 2-3 branches were sheared right off,hanging by the outer skin only and by a few threads.The branch saving knuckle and an example of one of the sheared branches.20190323_022648.jpg
Pissed off, shocked and panick stricken I grabbed some painters tape and got to bandadging.Wasn't sure if I should tape up the skin threads but so did anyway.20190323_030314.jpg.
Got Ol Dixie back looking somewhat similar to her old self.20190323_030402.jpg

Last edited:

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
The culprit.Brokem clip.20190323_025642.jpgThe next day,1 branch wasn't taped correctly and didn't make it.All the others seem to be fine.
Sweet Dixie,is a vigorous grower.Responds very well to plant manipulation...ie supercropping ,lst, topping etc
This particular pheno will do well in a scrog.

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
The culprit.Brokem clip.
Sweet Dixie,is a vigorous grower.Responds very well to plant manipulation...ie supercropping ,lst, topping etc
This particular pheno will do well in a scrog.
That sucks, but looks like Dix just shrugged it off.

I must have a half dozen of those ratchet/clip hangers that came with lights systems. Even though a halide bulb and reflector only weigh a couple of pounds, I never trusted them. I use rope/cord and knots.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
That sucks, but looks like Dix just shrugged it off.

I must have a half dozen of those ratchet/clip hangers that came with lights systems. Even though a halide bulb and reflector only weigh a couple of pounds, I never trusted them. I use rope/cord and knots.
She did indeed shrug it off.I'm thinking of cord and knots also.With the caribiner(?)and the ratchet light hangers I'm losing at least 8" in height.
Never really mattered...until it does.
Has to be a better way.