Bobs buds and bees

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FFJ banana
FPJ canna prunes, first time I tried just sugar and plant material. I might have to smash it a bit to get the juices released more.
For leaves I think they count on that morning dew providing some moisture. definitely macerate the leaves with the sugar. Like making a mojito... I also had to add a little water after a few days. Once it gets started it goes well. You might also add LAB to help break it down.

twobitbob

Super Active Member
For leaves I think they count on that morning dew providing some moisture. definitely macerate the leaves with the sugar. Like making a mojito... I also had to add a little water after a few days. Once it gets started it goes well. You might also add LAB to help break it down.
Thats what I was thinking too just add some LABS I have some mixed 1:1 with mollasses
I wanted to see if the sugar would create juice without muddling

no morning dew on these I guess I could put some plants outside and get that morning frost! haha maybe that would help break down the plant material freezing it.

twobitbob

Super Active Member
I had some cover crops outside that were still thriving until the recent hard freeze. 3 -4 days and they're mush.
Thinking about summer already.
speaking of cover crops I was looking through the new Baker Creek catalogue and I saw they have
Mustard B. Juncea
Im planning on using that as a cover crop, I read a lot about mustard recently and put some meal from build a soil in my mix
B. Juncea is the variety that they are studying for IPM
So far I haven't had any gnats coming out of this mix.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thinking about summer already.
speaking of cover crops I was looking through the new Baker Creek catalogue and I saw they have
Mustard B. Juncea
Im planning on using that as a cover crop, I read a lot about mustard recently and put some meal from build a soil in my mix
B. Juncea is the variety that they are studying for IPM
So far I haven't had any gnats coming out of this mix.
I don't eat mustard greens, but I just got a wasabina mustard green as a freebie that sounds cool. Supposed to have wasabi properties. It's in a few pots and just starting to sprout.

I have been looking at different food crops though. The lettuce stuff is an obvious go-to because it matures quick. their Hedou mini bok choy rocks in a pot, the outREDgous lettuce stayed nice and crisp in the shade and covered everything quick. Tom Thumb lettuce and little gem lettuce are hit and miss. When they do well they do well.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think there are some brassicas that are not good to grow as companion plants because they are bug attractors or PM magnets. I think cabbage is a no-no.

twobitbob

Super Active Member
I think there are some brassicas that are not good to grow as companion plants because they are bug attractors or PM magnets. I think cabbage is a no-no.
good point bok choy gets eaten real bad outside by the leaf Beatles, they love brassicas I actually used them to attract them away from the tomatoes in the green house and tried spraying em with soap to kill em I have yet to find something to get keep em at bay beside row covers and they take awhile to find the greenhouse but in the spring they will kill the brassicas outside if I'm not diligent on em.
those little black flea Beatles are a holes
I have not noticed PM on brassica in my area sweet peas seem to get it, although this year was weird their was PM everywhere outside on the weeds, it took awhile but after I harvested the lettuce and chard in the fall it found its way too the leftover leaves. I thought it was only my area at the time but I found out others noticed the same.

I have some Tom Thumb and the small romaine can't remember the name right now, and merlot lettuce that does great here
I'm probably taking a play outa your book and planting some of those for cover edible crops
fever few I was planing on trying this time too
Have you ever tried Swiss chard companion? I was thinking about using it too it grows beautifully under LED

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
fever few I was planing on trying this time too
Have you ever tried Swiss chard companion? I was thinking about using it too it grows beautifully under LED
I dug deep in the Baker Creek catalog for anything medicinal. I have a little feverfew going and just snipped some flowers for a tincture. It grows reallly slow. Probably more companion plant than cover crop.

I haven't tried swiss chard or romaine because they tend to grow pretty vertical. I want a cool food variety, but not at the expense of it interfering with the real goal.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I dug deep in the Baker Creek catalog for anything medicinal. I have a little feverfew going and just snipped some flowers for a tincture. It grows reallly slow. Probably more companion plant than cover crop.

I haven't tried swiss chard or romaine because they tend to grow pretty vertical. I want a cool food variety, but not at the expense of it interfering with the real goal.
that is understandable!

twobitbob

Super Active Member
I have not grown fever few before, so it is something new. I enjoy growing chamomile and calendula too, and was thinking about companion planting with them the do get kind of tall though. I can always just mow em down if they are in the way too.