Bobby's Dope Log

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm an analog man myself. All my lights and fans have those cool ports like for a phone charger and they all still have the little plugs in them ;)

IMHO gardening is gardening. If you have a job on the road and have to be gone for weeks at a time I can see getting into the autamation andd remote access stuff, and salt growing with dose-a-tron's added in. If it's a choice between "I can't grow because I work" aand automation I dig it.

But if you can be there, be there. That's part of the fun. If I have the power go out for any amount of time I just go around and twist the timer a few clicks on each tent. Lo-tech means less to break. I have had re-vegges because the analog timer got hit and a few buttons pushed. I can only imagine the stress of hoping you got the electronic shit figgered out so the lights come on and go off like you want. Adding in the other stuff is just more stress.
It has it's benefits, other than just when you are away. For example, you can set your clip fans to come on in cycles, so they aren't constantly running, which will help extend their lifespan. Also, like I mentioned in another post, it's nice to be able to have an extraction fan that is on low, so it's barely able to be heard, and only ramps up when the humidity gets high. It's also nice to have a single device to fuck with for all of your fans and humidifier.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
BTW, as I mentioned before, I honestly think the "PRO" model is garbage. They tried to make it "smart", by having it detect what is plugged into each port, but I honestly don't think their developers are good enough to rely on it working correctly. My friend's PRO keeps mistaking one of his clip fans for an outlet so it won't let it ramp speeds and only turns it off or on to full speed.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It has it's benefits, other than just when you are away. For example, you can set your clip fans to come on in cycles, so they aren't constantly running, which will help extend their lifespan. Also, like I mentioned in another post, it's nice to be able to have an extraction fan that is on low, so it's barely able to be heard, and only ramps up when the humidity gets high. It's also nice to have a single device to fuck with for all of your fans and humidifier.
I can dig that, but my tents are in bedrooms in a climate controlled house. Luckily my rH is generally 50% or lower. But I don't push anything. My lights aren't at max, and are pretty far from the tops unless I get tall plants. My temps are in the high 70's light-on, and I just let it ride. But the more you push the envelope the more control you seem to need.

Bobby_Resigliano

Violence. Speed. Momentum.
They are the quietest inline fans I’ve had that push that kind of volume. They are going to sound louder without being mounted with a hose and filter though. Their pro controller is complicated to configure, which is what I was saying in my post when you first asked about them, and that is why I recommended the regular controller 69. But, if setting up the automation of them is still too complicated for you then you’d be better off just getting their simple fan controller that just lets you set the speed. The benefit of their more advanced controllers is that they will dial down the CFM when the conditions are good and ramp it up when the humidity gets high.
Lol I remember you saying that and it rang in my head when I was trying to install them. I was hoping to be able to put more under automation with better organization but that was a steep learning curve I wasn't ready for. I really only needed new inline fans but thot these environment controllers would be better for me. Ill just use my old stuff and wait on some new fans for now.

I'm an analog man myself. All my lights and fans have those cool ports like for a phone charger and they all still have the little plugs in them ;)

IMHO gardening is gardening. If you have a job on the road and have to be gone for weeks at a time I can see getting into the autamation andd remote access stuff, and salt growing with dose-a-tron's added in. If it's a choice between "I can't grow because I work" aand automation I dig it.

But if you can be there, be there. That's part of the fun. If I have the power go out for any amount of time I just go around and twist the timer a few clicks on each tent. Lo-tech means less to break. I have had re-vegges because the analog timer got hit and a few buttons pushed. I can only imagine the stress of hoping you got the electronic shit figgered out so the lights come on and go off like you want. Adding in the other stuff is just more stress.
I think I'm prob in the lower tech group as well. I like things simple. I tend to have this prob quite a bit when I'm overshooting the scope of the project and spending more than I need to. I like to have the nicer shit most of the time but its not always pay more, get more. I'm also not the most patient of people at times lol. If something seems off from the get go, I will most likely notice that and it will stick with me. I felt all too much that the process of programming the 69PRO was just too complicated from what I had before.

D

Deleted member 2835

Lol I remember you saying that and it rang in my head when I was trying to install them. I was hoping to be able to put more under automation with better organization but that was a steep learning curve I wasn't ready for. I really only needed new inline fans but thot these environment controllers would be better for me. Ill just use my old stuff and wait on some new fans for now.

I think I'm prob in the lower tech group as well. I like things simple. I tend to have this prob quite a bit when I'm overshooting the scope of the project and spending more than I need to. I like to have the nicer shit most of the time but its not always pay more, get more. I'm also not the most patient of people at times lol. If something seems off from the get go, I will most likely notice that and it will stick with me. I felt all too much that the process of programming the 69PRO was just too complicated from what I had before.
Have you considered watching YouTube videos about setting them up?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I agree. AC Infinity is pretty good about stuff being user friendly and efficient. I bet there's a thing you are missing, or skipping, or misunderstanding that is causing the speedbump. Seeing a walkthrough "unboxing" and set-up of your specific system might clarify things.

Bobby_Resigliano

That's usually my first go to for everything I need help on. It did cross my mind but by that time I think I had already made up my mind. I couldn't get over how light they were. It just didn't seem to add up for the cost and what I was getting. Im the kinda guy that will send food back if its not right. I'm not paying for stuff Im not happy with and it really comes down to that.

I agree. AC Infinity is pretty good about stuff being user friendly and efficient. I bet there's a thing you are missing, or skipping, or misunderstanding that is causing the speedbump. Seeing a walkthrough "unboxing" and set-up of your specific system might clarify things.
I was hoping so but for me it just didn't click. That and the fact I have stuff that will work made the decision to return them fast and easy. If they were half the price Id prob stick it out with em. They already hit the UPS store this morning lol.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
That's usually my first go to for everything I need help on. It did cross my mind but by that time I think I had already made up my mind. I couldn't get over how light they were. It just didn't seem to add up for the cost and what I was getting. Im the kinda guy that will send food back if its not right. I'm not paying for stuff Im not happy with and it really comes down to that.

I was hoping so but for me it just didn't click. That and the fact I have stuff that will work made the decision to return them fast and easy. If they were half the price Id prob stick it out with em. They already hit the UPS store this morning lol.
The fan is lightweight because it has an EC (brushless DC) motor which are much more efficient and smaller. The older style fans you are used to are heavy because they have much larger motors. If you open one up you’ll also see they have a flywheel weight in them. This is what keeps the fan spinning down for so long when you turn them off.

Bobby_Resigliano

The fan is lightweight because it has an EC (brushless DC) motor which are much more efficient and smaller. The older style fans you are used to are heavy because they have much larger motors. If you open one up you’ll also see they have a flywheel weight in them. This is what keeps the fan spinning down for so long when you turn them off.
I might go with the S6 model with no digital controller. Pricing out those would be about $255 for two of them. Would be much easier to use and could get over the light weight of the unit since so many of you guys use them with no problems.

One of the Vortex S Line 6" fans that I have is about $325 or about $250ish from an Ebay seller. I bought them for $150 new at HD in 2020. They do have a 10 yr warranty tho which is pretty awesome. That's a big selling point for me. Still very lightweight but feels constructed very well. Very quiet too.

Would you go for one fan at a time Vortex or both Infinitys for less? Seems like an easy answer but that 10 yr warr lol.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I might go with the S6 model with no digital controller. Pricing out those would be about $255 for two of them. Would be much easier to use and could get over the light weight of the unit since so many of you guys use them with no problems.

One of the Vortex S Line 6" fans that I have is about $325 or about $250ish from an Ebay seller. I bought them for $150 new at HD in 2020. They do have a 10 yr warranty tho which is pretty awesome. That's a big selling point for me. Still very lightweight but feels constructed very well. Very quiet too.

Would you go for one fan at a time Vortex or both Infinitys for less? Seems like an easy answer but that 10 yr warr lol.
I've never owned one of those Vortex fans, but they do look nice, so I'm really not sure if they're worth the extra money or not. It would also depend on how well they stand behind that warranty. What's nice about going with the S6, though, is that if you ever do decide that you want to use their controller, you can just buy one and plug that fan into it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Would be much easier to use and could get over the light weight of the unit since so many of you guys use them with no problems.
The light weight design is part of what makes it superior to the ones that get dust-clogged and ratchet out and stop oscillating. I know dick about DC and EC and all that electrical crap. I know that the first fans came out in about 2021-2022. I was in the queue to buy the first off the line and have had zero failures. I have 3 spaces with both an oscillating and a stationary, and 2 with just the oscillating. That's a lot of time and opportunities for faiure. All are not the same age, but it is what it is.

I never had a regular oscillating fan that lasted a year no matter how studious I was about keeping them clean.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The light weight design is part of what makes it superior to the ones that get dust-clogged and ratchet out and stop oscillating. I know dick about DC and EC and all that electrical crap. I know that the first fans came out in about 2021-2022. I was in the queue to buy the first off the line and have had zero failures. I have 3 spaces with both an oscillating and a stationary, and 2 with just the oscillating. That's a lot of time and opportunities for faiure. All are not the same age, but it is what it is.

I never had a regular oscillating fan that lasted a year no matter how studious I was about keeping them clean.
He's talking about the extraction fan there, not the clip fans.

Bobby_Resigliano

I actually liked those clip fans a lot. The long cord, quiet operation, and awesome pole clamp are definitely a plus. Id buy more of those if needed. I would also agree that I've never had a good oscillating fan that didn't take a shit after a few months or so. I've bought about 4 of the 16" ones and only have one left. It looks to be on its last leg as well.

Bobby_Resigliano

I just ordered two of the S6s for $230 shipped. Forgot about that code and it saved me like $25 lol. At $115 each it feels like a good value for just plug and play.

Measured after getting the 4x4 veg put up and realized my tight fit of all 3 tents on one side of the room is just out of reach. Might just end up using the 2x4 instead of the 2x2 for cloning and put both clone machines in there. A lot of options but little room.