Bobby's Dope Log

Bobby_Resigliano

Violence. Speed. Momentum.
So I'm finding myself in the position of having to lose 40 or 50 pounds and build strength. I'm in my late 50s. What would you suggest?
I would ask you a question about strength. Do you want to be a powerlifter? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, especially in your late 50s. Building muscle in general will make you stronger.

Losing 40-50lbs will be a marathon. You will need to find a diet and workout program that is sustainable #1. If you can't stick to it, wtf is the point right? No one wants to keep fucking off and falling off the wagon. Its depressing and demotivating.

First thing you're gonna have to do is start being accountable for everything that goes into your mouth. I would get some kind of calorie counting app to help you. Most people underestimate how much they actually eat. I would also suggest using a carb cycling method of dieting. Keto is not recommended unless you like to suffer.

Second you're gonna need to get some kind of workout program on deck. If you are completely sedentary then I would recommend a full body workout, 3 times a week to start. Very low weight and high rep range of 10-20. Maybe 10-12 sets in total. Remember if you want to keep this sustainable, you can't fire out the gates lifting tuff guy style. You will be so sore that it will take you a week to recover and that's not productive.

Third you will need to do cardio. Yeah it's fucked I know lol. This is very vital for not only burning extra calories but it helps digestion which helps build muscle. If you're digestion is fucked, so is your progress. You won't need much to start. A simple 15-20 mins 3 times weekly is fine but you will need to keep a heart rate of at least 125bpm. LISS is perfect for us old folk. No running or any of that bs. Low intensity steady state cardio. Walking is just fine.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I would ask you a question about strength. Do you want to be a powerlifter? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, especially in your late 50s. Building muscle in general will make you stronger.

Losing 40-50lbs will be a marathon. You will need to find a diet and workout program that is sustainable #1. If you can't stick to it, wtf is the point right? No one wants to keep fucking off and falling off the wagon. Its depressing and demotivating.

First thing you're gonna have to do is start being accountable for everything that goes into your mouth. I would get some kind of calorie counting app to help you. Most people underestimate how much they actually eat. I would also suggest using a carb cycling method of dieting. Keto is not recommended unless you like to suffer.

Second you're gonna need to get some kind of workout program on deck. If you are completely sedentary then I would recommend a full body workout, 3 times a week to start. Very low weight and high rep range of 10-20. Maybe 10-12 sets in total. Remember if you want to keep this sustainable, you can't fire out the gates lifting tuff guy style. You will be so sore that it will take you a week to recover and that's not productive.

Third you will need to do cardio. Yeah it's fucked I know lol. This is very vital for not only burning extra calories but it helps digestion which helps build muscle. If you're digestion is fucked, so is your progress. You won't need much to start. A simple 15-20 mins 3 times weekly is fine but you will need to keep a heart rate of at least 125bpm. LISS is perfect for us old folk. No running or any of that bs. Low intensity steady state cardio. Walking is just fine.
Clearly, I need to buy a bicycle again lol

Good stuff, thanks!

Bobby_Resigliano

Clearly, I need to buy a bicycle again lol

Good stuff, thanks!
Bikes are great too! My brother loves riding his bike and its whatever keeps you going. If you don't like doing it, you wont do it lol.

I only list all that stuff as its pretty much the fast track to losing weight. I started with diet first. Everything in the house that was junk slowly got eaten and never replaced. I mean, I wasn't gonna throw it all out lol. Then the next few shopping trips were gradually more and more nutrient based foods until it was just all BBer shit. Then after about 2 weeks of that I added in the gym and cardio. After about a month I adjusted my workouts to a PPL routine and all has been good since then. Let me know if you need any help!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Bikes are great too! My brother loves riding his bike and its whatever keeps you going. If you don't like doing it, you wont do it lol.

I only list all that stuff as its pretty much the fast track to losing weight. I started with diet first. Everything in the house that was junk slowly got eaten and never replaced. I mean, I wasn't gonna throw it all out lol. Then the next few shopping trips were gradually more and more nutrient based foods until it was just all BBer shit. Then after about 2 weeks of that I added in the gym and cardio. After about a month I adjusted my workouts to a PPL routine and all has been good since then. Let me know if you need any help!
Oh, I need help all right... professional help!

Seriously, a little motivation goes a long way.

D

Deleted member 2835

I recommend intermittent fasting...I lost 40 lbs in a hurry you can eat whatever you want (within reason) during your "on" times but your off times you're only allowed water, black coffee or tea. Anything that has zero calories really.

Bobby_Resigliano

I recommend intermittent fasting...I lost 40 lbs in a hurry you can eat whatever you want (within reason) during your "on" times but your off times you're only allowed water, black coffee or tea. Anything that has zero calories really.
I've never been a fan of IF for several reasons. The biggest is that its not sustainable. The other main part of depriving yourself of a completely reachable anabolic state for several hours of the day doesn't make sense to me. I've done a lot of different methods to lose fat and the only ones that work are the ones you can stick to. And most importantly the ones that make you look and feel good. Also the less rules the better.

Let me ask you a few things. Is the weight loss still at 40lbs? What kind of diet are you using now or are you still IF? Did you count calories or macros? What kind and how much food did you eat during your "on" times? Did you exercise while IF and if so what kind?

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I've never been a fan of IF for several reasons. The biggest is that its not sustainable. The other main part of depriving yourself of a completely reachable anabolic state for several hours of the day doesn't make sense to me. I've done a lot of different methods to lose fat and the only ones that work are the ones you can stick to. And most importantly the ones that make you look and feel good. Also the less rules the better.

Let me ask you a few things. Is the weight loss still at 40lbs? What kind of diet are you using now or are you still IF? Did you count calories or macros? What kind and how much food did you eat during your "on" times? Did you exercise while IF and if so what kind?
cut 1 cold drink a day will make a big difference !

D

Deleted member 2835

Still down those 40lbs other than strictly following intermittent fasting I do no exercise and eat pretty much whatever I want. Never counted calories. Pretty much eat one big meal a day. Sometimes 2 but that just depends on how I feel.

D

Deleted member 2835

The program I'm following calls for 18 hours of fasting followed by 6 hours of eating. My eating times are noon to 6.

Bobby_Resigliano

Still down those 40lbs other than strictly following intermittent fasting I do no exercise and eat pretty much whatever I want. Never counted calories. Pretty much eat one big meal a day. Sometimes 2 but that just depends on how I feel.
The program I'm following calls for 18 hours of fasting followed by 6 hours of eating. My eating times are noon to 6.
Well whatever works for ya! I guess it all comes down to what goals you have. Im tryna get huge and ripped. Cant do that IF lol.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
A half cap on the DynaVap is my pre-workout. Kettlebells are an awesome way to warm up, help strengthen your stabilizing muscles and grip.

Diet, hydration, sleep and stretching are the pillars your workout results stand on. We all know this shit, it's just finding it within and doing it. I'll start tomorrow.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I’m no fitness dude, but one thing that changed me forever was just cutting dairy out of my diet. I used to always gain weight, and get pudgy, but that completely stopped when I had to cut dairy from my diet.
Interesting. Do you think you're lactose intolerant or you just liked your cheese a bit too much?

Bobby_Resigliano

Milk doesn't make me fat but a lot of fresh vegetables do. Aaaaaaand beans.
I wouldn't say those foods in particular are making you fat. Anything can make you fat if you eat too much of it. It's just simple cals in vs cals burned. Too much milk will definitely make you fat tho. You prob weren't drinking enuf to find out lol.

In your case I would say that those foods are not being digested properly, causing you bloating, which will make you gain weight. Check out the FODMAP. There's many things we just accept as normal when it doesn't have to be. I think we just need the knowledge to find out why.