2020 outdoor preparation

D

Deleted member 60

If you can't plant til June 1....go ahead and keep em in veg til June 7th.....then set them out. It takes a couple of week for them to feel the change....and by then...you are rolling right into/through the Solstice. Flying this way you can forego the whole "match the light schedule to outdoors" and the slow veg that come with it and rock the roll on 18/6 or 24/0 until a few days before you set em out. Take those few days to set em in the shade/a partly sunny area to acclimated....and if you can...choose a cloudy day/string of cloudy days to set them out on. Full sun/hot can take a toll on em and set em back bigly.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
First timer outside that will be tended to. 30 gal pots, holes drilled everywhere a sitting on a 1/4 pallet in the wide open back yard. Filled with promix and some burpee potting soil with a lil food in it. Hoping for best, but prepared for first timer results.lol first week o may is our standard here

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
I don't put nothing out till end of june here.
People who steal others plants go looking to see who planted outside. Being well known as a pot supporter lots know ….
The plants I put out are large...I leave them in pots for a day in the shade ...to get them used to outside. I plant at night so when the sun comes out next day I can see if they like it.
Don't plant near walnut trees or evergreen trees. Plants might die …..evergreen trees...etc cedars soil to acid ...walnut trees put out some kind of poison....root system does to on those trees. Those don't just effect mj plants put veggie plants to.

I got new mj flag to put out this year...Canada flag green and white. Friend gave it to me for my birthday last week.

D

Deleted member 60

Pots are the way to go, IMO. You may be able to save something if you see that black cloud coming over the horizon or any other number of threats. I wish you well. You have the season back there to just kill it if the stars align/etc....

D

Deleted member 60

People who steal others plants go looking to see who planted outside. Being well known as a pot supporter lots know ….
The plants I put out are large...I leave them in pots for a day in the shade ...to get them used to outside. I plant at night so when the sun comes out next day I can see if they like it.
Don't plant near walnut trees or evergreen trees. Plants might die …..evergreen trees...etc cedars soil to acid ...walnut trees put out some kind of poison....root system does to on those trees. Those don't just effect mj plants put veggie plants to.

I got new mj flag to put out this year...Canada flag green and white. Friend gave it to me for my birthday last week.
Hmmmm.......all I have around here are conifers and oaks. Never heard such a thing. The only place here that is acidic is directly under a pine tree...and as shady as that can be....it's not an optimal spot to plant pot/veggies anyway. Most of the Western US is very alkaline. My well water is 9.0. Yikes. Will find out this week what the soil pH is but I suspect it is way up there as well.

I'm getting close to wettin some shit up here....how about you?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
My containers are on an old slab getting the most sunlight in the yard. Ive moved out in boonies to walnut tree heaven, lol. Walnut is bringin good money right now for a stand o trees, but I hate them bastards when they fall in the yard, had to pick em when a kid, never made a dime from em, lol. My schedule got screwed with, Im gonna have indoor 45 day old plants goin out first of the season, I guess I can hope for some monsters, lol, Found some primitive spots out on the eight acres also, lol, one spot downside of the pond runoff. Never having done patches outside, just occasional individuals, like this time. But its nice to dream.

beefterpene

Lots of good stuff covered here.

I would suggest cleaning out the inside of your plants and making sure to train if you are topping. It will help yield but let's air through the plant. If you live in an area like mine, you will thank yourself once flower hits and the rains come. Plus the added stability helps tons.

I would also suggest growing an array of herbs around your plot. Mint, basil, rosemary, thyme as well as lemongrass will help keep pests down and beneficial up. Mint really changed up my outdoor game. Plus you have lots of fresh herbs to take home. I pluck herbs and throw then around the perimeter and bass of plants. Also make a spray with the mint and herbs with garlic. Has really helped keep the bastards away.

Bigger the holes the better IMO and plant on a grade if you can, keeps water from pooling. Lots lots of bio life in the soil, the more diverse the better. Keeps the baddies at bay but also lends to happier plants and less issues imo. I give light feedings but mostly to feed all the good stuff in my holes. I have the privilege of being in the middle of 80 acres of woods so access to many indigenous microbes and forest litter, fungi ect. At the end of each season leaves, herbs, forrest mulch and local manure gets piled and in spring then holes get turned and re-amended.

Stay away from fish ferts outside IMO. Every year I get raccoons digging up my planter (doesn't matter if they are rooted clones or 3 foot by 2 foot bushes going out, the raccoons will fuck with them if they smell the fish ferts it seems. Cut those out and haven't had raccoon damage in a decade.

With that, Deer love Rockwool. I refuse to use it. Back in the day they would pull my fresh plants, eat the cube and roots off and leave the plant laying there. I know its deer because of the hoof prints in the plot.

Also while speaking ok deer. Deer are path followers. So if you end up beating down a path to your spot, they will indeed follow it. We have worn alternate "deer" pathes to look like actual deer pathes for them to follow. We check traffic around the rains as it's super easy to see fresh traffic when the ground is moist. It works quite well. Still see them on our main path, but they don't enter the spot because of yeh garlic, mint and herb spray and plants acting as guardian.

Thought I'd throw some of my experiences that I didn't see already listed.

Heres to a great 2k20 outdoor season.

Currently have 10 OG hybrid clones that were topped back and now fiming them. They are 9" tall and already have multiple mains.

Also have 10 GG4 x Pre98 Bubba fems that I got from Katsu that are working on their 2nd set of leaves.

In paper towel after the soak are

5 Agent Orange x TropCPT from Warped genetics

5 Dirty Flo (Dirty Little Secret x Flo) from Big Worm

5 Jackberry F4 (Blueberry Indica x Jack Herer)

D

Deleted member 60

45 day old plants goin out should...um...make some monsters there. That's about where I am here when I go out but I'm much later than you are...even with the set back/cold this year in your neck of the woods.

Containers all the way here. We don;t even try to garden in the native soil. My raised beds and garden rows are old OF/perlite/etc from past outdoor grows when I went a bit overboard...LOL. So..no worry about oaks or conifers here other than "shade".

Good luck out there folks.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
45 day old plants goin out should...um...make some monsters there. That's about where I am here when I go out but I'm much later than you are...even with the set back/cold this year in your neck of the woods.

Containers all the way here. We don;t even try to garden in the native soil. My raised beds and garden rows are old OF/perlite/etc from past outdoor grows when I went a bit overboard...LOL. So..no worry about oaks or conifers here other than "shade".

I started April 3rd. I think I jumped the gun mine will be going out last week of May of June 1st ish. I think mine are going in ground though. How big of containers should I go if I do run containers? Do you run same nutrients inside and outside or so you use slow release fertilizer mixed in dirt?

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Back in the day my buddy would start all of his outdoor plants in 2 liter pop bottles. He'd cut about 2/3rds off the top....and save it. He'd then plant in the bottom....let em grow 8 inches or so.....then he'd tape the top back on the container.....toss ' em in his backpack...and he was off... RIP Chuck.
Thanks Chuck!! RIP brotha

Happy belated! Cool gift!
Lots of good stuff covered here.

I would suggest cleaning out the inside of your plants and making sure to train if you are topping. It will help yield but let's air through the plant. If you live in an area like mine, you will thank yourself once flower hits and the rains come. Plus the added stability helps tons.

I would also suggest growing an array of herbs around your plot. Mint, basil, rosemary, thyme as well as lemongrass will help keep pests down and beneficial up. Mint really changed up my outdoor game. Plus you have lots of fresh herbs to take home. I pluck herbs and throw then around the perimeter and bass of plants. Also make a spray with the mint and herbs with garlic. Has really helped keep the bastards away.

Bigger the holes the better IMO and plant on a grade if you can, keeps water from pooling. Lots lots of bio life in the soil, the more diverse the better. Keeps the baddies at bay but also lends to happier plants and less issues imo. I give light feedings but mostly to feed all the good stuff in my holes. I have the privilege of being in the middle of 80 acres of woods so access to many indigenous microbes and forest litter, fungi ect. At the end of each season leaves, herbs, forrest mulch and local manure gets piled and in spring then holes get turned and re-amended.

Stay away from fish ferts outside IMO. Every year I get raccoons digging up my planter (doesn't matter if they are rooted clones or 3 foot by 2 foot bushes going out, the raccoons will fuck with them if they smell the fish ferts it seems. Cut those out and haven't had raccoon damage in a decade.

With that, Deer love Rockwool. I refuse to use it. Back in the day they would pull my fresh plants, eat the cube and roots off and leave the plant laying there. I know its deer because of the hoof prints in the plot.

Also while speaking ok deer. Deer are path followers. So if you end up beating down a path to your spot, they will indeed follow it. We have worn alternate "deer" pathes to look like actual deer pathes for them to follow. We check traffic around the rains as it's super easy to see fresh traffic when the ground is moist. It works quite well. Still see them on our main path, but they don't enter the spot because of yeh garlic, mint and herb spray and plants acting as guardian.

Thought I'd throw some of my experiences that I didn't see already listed.

Heres to a great 2k20 outdoor season.

Currently have 10 OG hybrid clones that were topped back and now fiming them. They are 9" tall and already have multiple mains.

Also have 10 GG4 x Pre98 Bubba fems that I got from Katsu that are working on their 2nd set of leaves.

In paper towel after the soak are

5 Agent Orange x TropCPT from Warped genetics

5 Dirty Flo (Dirty Little Secret x Flo) from Big Worm

5 Jackberry F4 (Blueberry Indica x Jack Herer)
So many good pointa herr. I will take the advice thanks!!0416202140a.jpg
Got some shit going!!

beefterpene

45 days makes for some nice size plants. My clones will have just over 60 days veg and the Dracary from Katsu will have 55 days from seed til when they get placed outside. Big bitches for sure.

Got a late start last yearand germed on May 9th and my Madchems ended up 6 feet tall and 4 foot wide untopped. My Chocolate Rains ended up 8 feet tall and huge sweeping Christmas tree branches. The Green Manalishi siblings to the breeders for my F3 were 7 feet tall. They were placed outside late as well on June 9th.

I usually put outside last week of May / First week of June and will be doing so this year.

beefterpene

I started April 3rd. I think I jumped the gun mine will be going out last week of May of June 1st ish. I think mine are going in ground though. How big of containers should I go if I do run containers? Do you run same nutrients inside and outside or so you use slow release fertilizer mixed in dirt?
The bigger the better. I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than a 30 gallon if I were to use containers outside. My pops used to grow in 7 gallon containers with great results but I have always felt you need that buffer of lots of roots outdoor. The only time I have used "pots" outdoor were big 30 to 40 gallon totes and one year I used 35 gallon grow bags. Great results. I will suggest staking outside the container though if you use pots. This way everything is anchored to the ground and not ready to tip over when you have an 8 foot top heavy lady looming over the pot. One thing I will say when using large containers, even with great drainage be concious of your watering. I'm of the camp water less more often. The shade of a big bush can keep you wet longer than you would think. Food for thought.

Our holes outdoor are about 3 feet across and as deep. When we started this we had quite a bit of clay once you got about a foot down. Very black soil above it though. We kept digging deeper and separating out the large chunks, breaking them up into much smaller pieces. It takes 2 times the volume of other organic matter to dilute clay. We started by adding compost, cow manure, forrest litter and leaves, perlite, peat, as well as shredded sod. We mixed everything but the leaves together and replaced back into our holes (they were mounds by the end) layering dried tall grasses and leaves with the native soil and bio mass mixture. We let that sit all winter.

Came back in spring and redug the holes and amended with bat guano, worm castings, Kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and a beneficial bacterial and fungal inoculation powder (I don't remember what we used that year). This was about 3 weeks to a month before they get put outside.

I top dress once a once they establish and then again about a month and a half later mid July. The mid July top dress is usually what I put down after they are planted but this time I also add additional top dressing of high P and K ferts. The N is useful through stretch and the P K useful first 2 real weeks of flower. Outdoor this is about the time I cut most N completely on the weekly feedings and give the first full on weekly bloom fert. I always hit week 3 with a heavy dose of P K and gradually cut back over next 3 feedings. Week 6 gets a carb source only (have used raw honey, home made maple syrup as well as unsulfered molasses with similar results) and last two weeks water only which brings us to first week of October at 8 to 9 weeks.

Was a lot of work to get going but so worth it. These days all we do is chop down herbs and grasses and forest litter and lay on holes or mix in at end of season. Only prep is to re amend and turn in the spring any more. Glad we broke our backs those years back and it's just straight forward.

Sorry for rambling or if there needs to be clarification, I'm all hungover from all the medicated food I ate yesterday lol. I belive total I ate about 1200 mg of thc and about 900 mg cbd smoked about 5 grams too lol.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
The bigger the better. I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than a 30 gallon if I were to use containers outside. My pops used to grow in 7 gallon containers with great results but I have always felt you need that buffer of lots of roots outdoor. The only time I have used "pots" outdoor were big 30 to 40 gallon totes and one year I used 35 gallon grow bags. Great results. I will suggest staking outside the container though if you use pots. This way everything is anchored to the ground and not ready to tip over when you have an 8 foot top heavy lady looming over the pot. One thing I will say when using large containers, even with great drainage be concious of your watering. I'm of the camp water less more often. The shade of a big bush can keep you wet longer than you would think. Food for thought.

Our holes outdoor are about 3 feet across and as deep. When we started this we had quite a bit of clay once you got about a foot down. Very black soil above it though. We kept digging deeper and separating out the large chunks, breaking them up into much smaller pieces. It takes 2 times the volume of other organic matter to dilute clay. We started by adding compost, cow manure, forrest litter and leaves, perlite, peat, as well as shredded sod. We mixed everything but the leaves together and replaced back into our holes (they were mounds by the end) layering dried tall grasses and leaves with the native soil and bio mass mixture. We let that sit all winter.

Came back in spring and redug the holes and amended with bat guano, worm castings, Kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and a beneficial bacterial and fungal inoculation powder (I don't remember what we used that year). This was about 3 weeks to a month before they get put outside.

I top dress once a once they establish and then again about a month and a half later mid July. The mid July top dress is usually what I put down after they are planted but this time I also add additional top dressing of high P and K ferts. The N is useful through stretch and the P K useful first 2 real weeks of flower. Outdoor this is about the time I cut most N completely on the weekly feedings and give the first full on weekly bloom fert. I always hit week 3 with a heavy dose of P K and gradually cut back over next 3 feedings. Week 6 gets a carb source only (have used raw honey, home made maple syrup as well as unsulfered molasses with similar results) and last two weeks water only which brings us to first week of October at 8 to 9 weeks.

Was a lot of work to get going but so worth it. These days all we do is chop down herbs and grasses and forest litter and lay on holes or mix in at end of season. Only prep is to re amend and turn in the spring any more. Glad we broke our backs those years back and it's just straight forward.

Sorry for rambling or if there needs to be clarification, I'm all hungover from all the medicated food I ate yesterday lol. I belive total I ate about 1200 mg of thc and about 900 mg cbd smoked about 5 grams too lol.
I needed this info. Thanks!!

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
Hmmmm.......all I have around here are conifers and oaks. Never heard such a thing. The only place here that is acidic is directly under a pine tree...and as shady as that can be....it's not an optimal spot to plant pot/veggies anyway. Most of the Western US is very alkaline. My well water is 9.0. Yikes. Will find out this week what the soil pH is but I suspect it is way up there as well.

I'm getting close to wettin some shit up here....how about you?
Im germing some auto nl for outside...they are old seeds though if they don't pop ill just pick my biggest plants in veg and put those outside lol...like last year.