West Coast Chronicles

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Update: Day 16

Water day and pollination

I'm continuing to practice pollinating before I start my main project. I'd like to go into it with my feet wet. So today I'm attempting selective branch pollination. Here's what I have cooking.

The Ladies
1. Tangie (California Orange x Super Skunk) - Nirvana
2. Blackjack (Black Domina x Jock Horror) - Nirvana
3. Gelat.OG (Gelato x OG Kush) - Seedsman
4. 9lb. Hammer (Goo Berry x Hells OG x Jack the Ripper) - Jinxproof Genetics
5. Ghost Train Haze #1 (Ghost OG x Nevil's Wreck) - Rare Dankness
6. Hyper Blueberry Blast (Blueberry Blast x Hyper Glue) - Reno Genetics
------------------Blueberry Blast (Northern Lights x Blueberry)
------------------Hyper Glue (GG4 x Afternoon Delight x C99)
7. BCK (Possibly Birthday Cake Kush)

The Males
1. 9lb. Hammer
2. Hyper Blueberry Blast
3. Hyper Alien (Grape Alien Haze x Hyper Glue) - Reno Genetics

Pollinations
I hit all the ladies with 9lb. Hammer and Hyper Alien
The BCK, Ghost Train Haze, and 9lb. Hammer were also hit with the Hyper Blueberry Blast

View attachment 9707

I'm really digging the bread bag so I can pollinate more of the branch. Thanks @Schwaggy P
View attachment 9708

View attachment 9709

View attachment 9710
That's f^ckin awesome dude. I digg watchin your grows cause you always got your equipment/genetics so organised and your growing zones so pristine clean.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
That's f^ckin awesome dude. I digg watchin your grows cause you always got your equipment/genetics so organised and your growing zones so pristine clean.
Thanks SmithsJunk. Funny enough, the floor mat wrinkled up from always sliding the plants around and it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to live with it. But looking at the pic above, it still bothers me. lol

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Hahahaha!! I saw that and thought "That's gotta be drivin him nuts"

Tie it tight at the corners. Does it have corner strings?
It does. It has velcro straps. I most likely didn't re-secure them the last time I cleaned out the tent. I was in a hurry that day harvesting, and then trying to get these girls into the tent to flip. It was a long day. My GF always says I move like pond water. I consider my pace more of a "cruise." Methodical and not sloppy. Right up until I overlook re-securing those damn straps. lol

I'm really digging the bread bag so I can pollinate more of the branch. Thanks @Schwaggy P
You're welcome, I love seeing that tent full of bread trees 🍞🌲. Looks like you're going to have a ton of seeds. The pollination prep can be tedious with the brushes and name tags, but once you get dusting, you're glad you took the time to setup without wondering if you accidentally grabbed the wrong brush.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Looks like you're going to have a ton of seeds.
I hope so because I have some doubts about the viability of the 9PH pollen I used. I didn't have enough time for a new 9PH clone to mature and produce fresh pollen. I ended up trying to use the pollen I had stored in the freezer from a previous collection. I didn't have a sound method of collecting pollen at the time and I ended up with plant matter in the pollen that was stored. So I hope it takes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. It was worth a shot.

I didn't get a lot of pollen from the Hyper Blueberry Blast either. So I chose to use what I had on the most promising girls. I really wish I had time to collect more. I really liked the smell of that male. I'm hoping he can really help in that department.

The reason for my rush to pollinate is a bit of a confusing one. Yesterday, they were at day 16 from flip in the flower tent. But the pre-flowers look much further along than that. After some thought, they could actually be at day 30 or somewhere in between. They out grew my veg rack and I had to throw them outside for 14 days before putting them into the flower tent. While outside, we had a late week long storm come through. So I'm thinking they most likely started at some point outside. Because of that uncertainty, I felt like the optimal window was closing and I decided to try pollinating with what I had on hand.

The pollination prep can be tedious with the brushes and name tags, but once you get dusting, you're glad you took the time to setup without wondering if you accidentally grabbed the wrong brush.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I prefer organization too. It was just another great tip being utilized after reading through your journal.

I ordered some fine tipped paint brushes, but they didn't arrive in time. So I had to raid my daughters room and find the smallest tipped brushes she had.

Everything seems to be coming together and I think I'm pretty much set with supplies and the right tools now to move forward.

I'm hoping to get my main project started around October.

I hope so because I have some doubts about the viability of the 9PH pollen I used. I didn't have enough time for a new 9PH clone to mature and produce fresh pollen. I ended up trying to use the pollen I had stored in the freezer from a previous collection. I didn't have a sound method of collecting pollen at the time and I ended up with plant matter in the pollen that was stored. So I hope it takes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. It was worth a shot.
That's unfortunate, but you could still end up with enough seeds for your purposes. You'll be able to see the level of pollination on the flowers when you remove the bags. Ultimately, this practice run is serving its purpose as you're finding the spots for improvement for next time.

I ordered some fine tipped paint brushes, but they didn't arrive in time. So I had to raid my daughters room and find the smallest tipped brushes she had.
😁

Everything seems to be coming together and I think I'm pretty much set with supplies and the right tools now to move forward.
That's great, seems the practice run was well worth the effort. Experience is the greatest teacher.

I'm hoping to get my main project started around October.
I'm looking forward to following along. I'll be starting a sativa based project soon that will also call for the ceiling-less euphoria effect, so it'll be interesting to track how successful that trait is to breed. I'll wait for the seeds to show up before making any breeding proposal posts.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
That's great, seems the practice run was well worth the effort. Experience is the greatest teacher.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. "Practice like you play" I'd rather make my mistakes now while practicing rather then when it's actually game time.

I'm looking forward to following along. I'll be starting a sativa based project soon that will also call for the ceiling-less euphoria effect, so it'll be interesting to track how successful that trait is to breed. I'll wait for the seeds to show up before making any breeding proposal posts.
I really appreciate the interest you've taken and the open door you've provided. I too will be looking forward to see what the man "that carries hidden aces" has up his sleeve. It will be exciting to follow along and as always, I'm sure very insightful.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Lol. Just wait, I think you’re really going to dig the BCK. I’m looking forward to sending you some of each.
F^ck yeah!!! I do, I do, I do. I wanna grow anything and everything.

I'm really happy you got such a successful haul. I'm hoping for the same. If I can just get these clones to grab some roots. This friggin heat has been a real mother. Crossing my fingers and prayin these little frozen half sise water bottles work. I really want to share with you this year too.