Waiting For The Sun....Stiicky heads indoors

• Thread starter Deleted member 60
  • Start date

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Wood stove(s) are jammin'. Had single digit temps the last 2 nights and will be close to that tonight. Garage is 50's-low 60's w/o the lights....so temps in the tent are good to go. Just have some vents open now....will have to rig some ventilation for 12/12 soon to keep the humidity down.
I find my wood stoves suck the moisture out of everything. Humidity tends to be too low if I’m not careful. Got a stove in house, garage and shop. Cheap heat and having friends with a firewood processor is handy.

SSGrower

Average Grower
They do veg plants well. Lots of growth here.

Meter readings, huh? Ever check a 1000 watt MH/hps against these? That's what they say they will replace....but I gotta say...with the drop off at the sides...that seems to be a stretch here. I do like em......but when i unzip the tent I'm only mildly blinded...like 2-600's blinded....not 2 - 1000's blinded. Less energy but possibly less overall light as well(?) Definitely more "directional". Could just be the lack of light bouncing all around....dunno. I just grow plants....
I think replacing a 1k with 550 watts of led is a bit of a stretch as well more like 2/3 the watts to do it truely. The directional complonet and distribution have an impact, and imo its distribution for the win. Hang them vert and grow plants on a rack 18 - 24 in "penetration" is plenty for that scenario. I mean, just cause its what I do...

D

Deleted member 60

Heehee @Jesselikes2Grow ....now I know why you LED guys say that these light will replace HPS lights. Ha. You've never ran 'em! So what are you testing against??? More LED lights? Hmmm.... Yeah...I can see a far red 600 in the middle there hung vertically to get some side light and general light mayhem going on.

Yeah @Punisher84 ...I don't worry about or check humidity here.... It is what it is. Chasing it is a waste of time. I hate the shit so I just grow in whatever nature gives me. No humidifiers here...LOL. If I wanted that shit I'd move back to the Tropics (Midwest). No fuckin way. I keep my greenhouse below 45% so there's no mold/mildews/bullshit as well. It's great to never have had PM in 30 years of growing this plant.

I have 3 (catalytic) wood stoves as well. No plywood processor...but I buy logs by the truckload. Roughly $100 a cord.... and I use about 3-4 cords per season.....so yeah....$400 a year for heat rather than $400 a month. Takes a bit of time holding the Stihl and runnig the splitter to get things in line...but it's an entire season of warm for a week or so of sawin....so not too bad. It's the only heat we have other than space heaters...which we never really use. And yeah...I know about those sparks as well. The charge can get pretty surprising....LOL.

D

Deleted member 60

Hang LEDs vertically all around and on top and yeah.....that'd be nuts. An LED Phototron.....LOL. the kids are gonna eat it up. Such a new concept. Heehee.

Yeah...3 of these 550 in a tent would cover things well....no moving plants about daily like I forsee happening with 2. That or some of those Turpman strips..one on each corner...LOL.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
Heehee @Jesselikes2Grow ....now I know why you LED guys say that these light will replace HPS lights. Ha. You've never ran 'em! So what are you testing against??? More LED lights? Hmmm.... Yeah...I can see a far red 600 in the middle there hung vertically to get some side light and general light mayhem going on.

Yeah @Punisher84 ...I don't worry about or check humidity here.... It is what it is. Chasing it is a waste of time. I hate the shit so I just grow in whatever nature gives me. No humidifiers here...LOL. If I wanted that shit I'd move back to the Tropics (Midwest). No fuckin way. I keep my greenhouse below 45% so there's no mold/mildews/bullshit as well. It's great to never have had PM in 30 years of growing this plant.

I have 3 (catalytic) wood stoves as well. No plywood processor...but I buy logs by the truckload. Roughly $100 a cord.... and I use about 3-4 cords per season.....so yeah....$400 a year for heat rather than $400 a month. Takes a bit of time holding the Stihl and runnig the splitter to get things in line...but it's an entire season of warm for a week or so of sawin....so not too bad. It's the only heat we have other than space heaters...which we never really use. And yeah...I know about those sparks as well. The charge can get pretty surprising....LOL.
I build a 16x16 wood shed. It’s full to the brim, still burning what I stacked on the porch. Think the shed holds 14 cords roughly. Stacked 10’ tall in the front. I filled it 2/3 full clearing around the house and a couple dead black cherry trees we had on another property. Rest came off the processor dropped into my little dump truck, certainly is easier ha. Traded some beer For it.

Propane heat here. Electric is too expensive. Gas is cheap. But I still save 3-400 a month. Fill the garage and shop once a day.

D

Deleted member 60

My stoves are 85% efficient. 14 cords would last me 5 years and would be so dry it'd burn like balsa wood. LOL. I can get 24 hours of burn time per load with oak..... 15 or so with pine with these stoves. My house is small so i can really run them lean and mean. Best stove I've ever burned or owned. Everything else here is electric. I yanked the old propane tank /heater within the first month cus it fuckin scared me and I didn't wanna feed it. There's no natural gas here in the sticks so I didn't have to even consider that...not that I would have anyway. Throw in another log.....

Vert is definitely the secret to side branching...and I suspect even moreso with these LED's. It's amazing what a room with 10 - 1000 watt hps lamps...all hung vertically will do for makin bushes. I only wish i had reason to go there again. So different than running the same lights with hoods.

Nice setup @SCJedi. Should boom them well!

D

Deleted member 60

LOL...I never said better or worse...I just hit on their lack of full coverage and one directional light . Was just kinda interested in how they stack up to hps lumen wise/etc. I already know (read) they don;t cover as much ground and aren't as efficient on a watt per watt basis. Hps still takes the crown there from what I can surmise/find. Can't picture running a room full of em like hps......that'd be a shit ton of fixtures...wow.

Hopin to gift some lights/hoods to some fellow dome GH owners. Everyone is interested in the LED's but they are looking for heat >and< decent light and LED doesn't fit that criteria. At least I won;t be storing em or foced to take em to the dump. Somebody can use em.....and I plan to hang onto a few cus I'm not yet sold on LED. :rolleyes: That glow......where's that glow? More red is needed in there, for sure.

Prolly should look a the girls today...LOL. I can see that with LED the watering schedule will be far more lax. Every other day or so right now. I sure don't hover over em now like I once did. Full jars will do that to ya.

SSGrower

Average Grower
LOL...I never said better or worse...I just hit on their lack of full coverage and one directional light . Was just kinda interested in how they stack up to hps lumen wise/etc. I already know (read) they don;t cover as much ground and aren't as efficient on a watt per watt basis. Hps still takes the crown there from what I can surmise/find. Can't picture running a room full of em like hps......that'd be a shit ton of fixtures...wow.

Hopin to gift some lights/hoods to some fellow dome GH owners. Everyone is interested in the LED's but they are looking for heat >and< decent light and LED doesn't fit that criteria. At least I won;t be storing em or foced to take em to the dump. Somebody can use em.....and I plan to hang onto a few cus I'm not yet sold on LED. :rolleyes: That glow......where's that glow? More red is needed in there, for sure.

Prolly should look a the girls today...LOL. I can see that with LED the watering schedule will be far more lax. Every other day or so right now. I sure don't hover over em now like I once did. Full jars will do that to ya.
I think there is room for led to "grow the market" in gh suppliment lighting, 2 things, the profile of them can fit under the existing supports, blocking little if any sunlight, and using hydronics to move the heat instead of air.

Pretty sure you will hit on all the nuances of led, just here to observe and throw peanuts.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Ahahahaha. That made me giggle. Lol
I said I love leds. Lol. Not that they were better or worse than hps. 😉🤔🤔🤔
I'm not even gonna open up that debate. Ahahaha.
I stick by my previous statement that they'll all grow great weed, and to each their own methods. Lol.
@SSGrower love the side lighting.
@stiickygreen I just realized you got two I's in your name. Lmfao.
Its really just a technicallity but more watts coming from the side than the top, its not side lighting, its vertical lighting. At what point in the year/day do you not see your shadow, the vast majority of light comes with an angular component to it, not overhead.

D

Deleted member 60

I played with side lighting for a decade+ when i was cranking out weight and was a far more into it/innovative type grower....like many guys here. Death of a son and the market here in CO kinda put all of that in it's place though. Was sure fun while I needed the weed....

this was something I ran for a few years (2010 or so) with mucho success. 5000 watts careeening into each other....
Picture 305.JPG

Picture 329 Large e-mail view.jpg

nono 001 1668X1107.jpg

Then i thought I needed more production...went to hydro/the UC...with all vert hung lamps and no hoods. Serious bushes....bordering on a pound each usually. Got my needed weight but kinda got bored growing hydro/chasing pH/fighting root rot and went back/have been in soil ever since. Now I do the outdoor and surpass what the UC yields per plant without all of the hydro hassle.

nono 127.jpg

Sure was fun and profitable...... Oh well.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I'll always love to hang vertical, can get the light super close and amongst the plants without probs and no hood let's heat dissipate quickly. Krusty grew that way many moons ago, his pics still on Google, something to behold. Looks like you rocked in the old days, stiickyman

D

Deleted member 60

Still rockin' it...just don't know what to do with the weed..... LOL. cough...cough.....

Someone else commented in another thread about their USPS package going crazy awry..... well..i got one of those as well. Sent from MD......it hits the PO 8 days ago and then is MIA for a week. Shows back up....looks to be heading this way.....makes it to Baltimore.......and now...it's in Ala-fuckin-bama....."out for delivery"? Any of you guys live in AL? Watch yer box. Santa may bring you a new pH pen and tds meter....

fuck me...just glad it isn't weed, hash, clones, or seeds....

Punisher84

Just some asshole
I sent a holster from CA to VA back 10 years ago. It went to Hawaii for a month and a half, then sat in VA for a few more weeks before it was finally delivered. My buddy received an empty box by the time it got there 😂

Id left for deployment a week before he got the box. I couldn’t do much about it for another 10 months. Just wrote that one off and forgot about it.

Trust the government. They struggle to get the mail from one place to another and they have had 244 years to perfect it 😂

D

Deleted member 60

Our PO is only open from 7AM to 11AM Mon-Fri and 7 - 10 Saturday. NOTHING is computerized. Mail takes an extra day mailed from here vs. the town 12 miles away (full time PO)...and priority mail is often no exception. Everything is late here....coming or going. My pen will likely show up....I hope....but with all of that travel...we will see how it faired during the extended journey.

As a result of the delay.... I'm still rockin' those hot tub/pool pH strips. Fortunately...the girls are doing very well. Round 2 should kick in soon. I always forget to take the camera down....LOL. At least I remembered to water 'em. :ROFLMAO:

Cfeezzie

Super Active Member
Still rockin' it...just don't know what to do with the weed..... LOL. cough...cough.....

Someone else commented in another thread about their USPS package going crazy awry..... well..i got one of those as well. Sent from MD......it hits the PO 8 days ago and then is MIA for a week. Shows back up....looks to be heading this way.....makes it to Baltimore.......and now...it's in Ala-fuckin-bama....."out for delivery"? Any of you guys live in AL? Watch yer box. Santa may bring you a new pH pen and tds meter....

fuck me...just glad it isn't weed, hash, clones, or seeds....
That just nuts.