Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Damp paper towel, folded in half, put the seeds inside, slipped the towel inside a ziplock bag and closed it up. Kept it where it would be in the mid to upper 70s.

When they grew tails, I prepped the medium by wetting it, tapped the cups on the floor to settle the soil, stuck my finger up to the knuckle and planted each bean upright so the head was just below surface level, like 1/8". I've been spra
How can you tell males from the roots?

My secret is Elmer's glue.
Tell me the elmer's glue secret.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
They look pretty happy with life.

I switched up the lighting from a spread pattern 180W LED to an LED with the same wattage but with only two COB LED lights right next to one another, giving a much more concentrated spotlight. This had the effect of easily doubling the light pressure on the seedlings.

Twenty four hours later, it's looking to me like they like the bump;
20230822_125529.jpg

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I have an idea; equipment! Anyone ever heard of CHP = Combined Heat and Power?

This is a well established greenhouse tech in the Netherlands, not so much here in the States. It's been tried in residential home settings and to some extent in larger commercial facilities but hasn't achieved much penetration.

Here's what it is; you run a generator to generate electricity. You use some or all of it and feed the rest into the grid, presumably for some kind of compensation from the utility. The heat from this generator is used to heat the facility. The smaller residential units I've seen also had a semi hermetic compressor on the output shaft that ran the AC. It had a clutch so it ran on demand. This is already pretty cool stuff- but wait, there's more!

Water jacket heat from the generator and exhaust heat are both heat sources and can be used to heat the building, do some low heat process work and heat the hot water tank. I suspect that the excess heat could also be used in an absorption cooler, and I want to test it. This would get FREE COOLING from the energy otherwise escaping out the exhaust!

And holy shit, there's even more! Turns out that you can pass that very exhaust through a couple of scrubbers; selective catalytic reduction addresses NOx emissions and oxidation scrubbers are used to treat carbon monoxide. Caterpillar does it with diesel and natural gas generators. Then you get CO2 that's safe to feed into the greenhouse or grow facility.

I think there's a market for a smaller self contained unit that could do all these things and provide the facility with backup power and heat in case of a power outage.

Last edited:

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Caterpillar says CHP can access efficiencies of over 96% and that's before using the exhaust system for CO2 supplementation.

This stuff exists. Why isn't the indoor growing industry using it?