Tokin’ Tunes

StonedAgeGrower

Not hostile - just definitively stating that I disagree. Never heard of "Sludge" - How old are you?
Early 40s. Few people have heard of it. when i first posted Kyuss i even said it wasnt a terribly popular genre. however it was given the term Stoner Rock in the early 90s even tho many bands in the genre hate that term and prefer Stoner metal or Sludge or Doom.

Thats why I posted the wiki link to the Stoner Rock page as it would have cleared up the confusion

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
Maybe this will illustrate my point. This video is The Sword, a pretty standard sound for the Sludge or Stoner Rock subgenre (which was called that long before I listened to it). Surely you can hear (and see) the Sabbath influence.

The sticking point seems to be you don't understand I'm talking about one specific genre and not saying "Rock that Stoners enjoy". I didn't invent the label Stoner rock, just using it.

Light one up, enjoy 🤘🔥
I normally don't clarify 'likes' given, but feel it's important to note that the like was for the comment, not The Sword. :)

StonedAgeGrower

I saw them dozens of times - even worked on their road crew as a ' back ' for 9 stops on an east coast swing in '77. Even as a huge fan, I always felt that their live shows were lacking, including their live releases.

But those first 5 studio lps before Albert was canned - drop the stylus anywhere on the vinyl and you're guaranteed awesomeness.

Kick out the jams, brothers and sisters.

That's awesome you were on their road crew. BOC is criminally underrated! This one of my favorites of thiers. Metallica even pulled off a halfway decent cover of it🤘

StonedAgeGrower

The self titled debut of Black Sabbath is epic. They never came close to that again. I got off the bus with Fairies Wear Boots. The first lp with Ronny James had some terrific cuts.

Their debut is their best by far, but I think Paranoid is a classic as well. Masters of Reality had some great tunes but wasn't amazing start to finish. Definitely some filler tracks. Vol 4 it just all went downhill.

Of all their non Ozzy singers Ronnie was the only one I thought was ever a good fit. Remember when they had Ian Gillan singing with them? Love him, love Deep Purple, but he just did not fit w Sabbath

Last edited:

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
That's awesome you were on their road crew. BOC is criminally underrated! This one of my favorites of thiers. Metallica even pulled off a halfway decent cover of it🤘

They've released 4 versions of Astronomy - 5 if you count Albert's recent Imaginos re-Imagined version. Ironically, this was one of their best songs in concert, as they stretched out the middle for one of many Don Roeser's [Buck Dharma] showcases. That was the one take away from even the worst BOC show - Buck Dharma was always worth more than the ticket price.

The live recordings stayed fairly true to the version you posted [ with the extended guitar solos ], but it's significantly reworked for the Imaginos release, with Buck taking on the vocal. Ironically, everything besides the vocal is performed by non BOC players, with the exception of Albert's "A star ! " at the end, as it was originally recorded as an Albert Bouchard solo project

'It's the nexus of a crisis, the origin of storms'
Just the place to hopelessly encounter time.' - Sandy Pearlman

Stoner rock, indeed.

Last edited:

StonedAgeGrower

They've released 4 versions of Astronomy - 5 if you count Albert's recent Imaginos re-Imagined version. Ironically, this was one of their best songs in concert, as they stretched out the middle for one of many Don Roeser's [Buck Dharma] showcases. That was the one take away from even the worst BOC show - Buck Dharma was always worth more than the ticket price.

The live recordings stayed fairly true to the version you posted [ with the extended guitar solos ], but it's significantly reworked for the Imaginos release, with Buck taking on the vocal. Ironically, everything besides the vocal is performed by non BOC players, with the exception of Albert's "A star ! " at the end, as it was originally recorded as an Albert Bouchard solo project

'It's the nexus of a crisis, the origin of storms'
Just the place to hopelessly encounter time.' - Sandy Pearlman

Stoner rock, indeed.

Thank you for sharing that🙏. That version is amazing! Unfortunately Ive never been able to see them live. I'm going to have to look up some more of these Imaginos versions for this evening's smoke sesh👍

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
Thank you for sharing that🙏. That version is amazing! Unfortunately Ive never been able to see them live. I'm going to have to look up some more of these Imaginos versions for this evening's smoke sesh👍
Blue Oyster Cult was intended to be a band that musically interpreted the writings of the recently deceased Sandy Pearlman, though to this day not even the band members could agree totally on what the hell he was getting at some of the time. The band was often referred to as 'the thinking man's rock band' for that reason.

If you'd like to dig deep, the story behind Pearlman, BOC, and Imaginos is fascinating.

StonedAgeGrower

Blue Oyster Cult was intended to be a band that musically interpreted the writings of the recently deceased Sandy Pearlman, though to this day not even the band members could agree totally on what the hell he was getting at some of the time. The band was often referred to as 'the thinking man's rock band' for that reason.

If you'd like to dig deep, the story behind Pearlman, BOC, and Imaginos is fascinating.

Wow, I'm familiar w some of Pearlmans work, but had no idea that was the concept of the whole band! I was familiar w the connection he had w the lyrics in Astronomy, but thought that was just a passing thing.

I love to read up on things like this, I find music history infinitely fascinating, so thanks for sharing🙏 Gonna be rolling a few up and doing some listening and reading Tonite🔥🌲

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another lesser known musical genius was Danny Elfman. His pop music contributions were shit with Oingo Boingo - but he went on to score movies - like, LOTS of movies. Never cared for his music really, nor would I buy the movie soundtracks. But they were the orchestral monstrosities that fit every scene of the movie with whatever music seemed to be needed.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
He brought a lot of the current cartoon movies back to the old days where we learned about Mozart and Beethoven from Bugs Bunny...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I disagree like infinity %.

I've seen a gazillion shows. None were better than Oingo Boingo. Zero. Zip.

They were fun to watch, put on a great show - but no musical genius was evident in their shows or albums. Just a great party band in my opinion.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Especially compared to his later work. Not sure about the rest of the band, but usually musician of that caliber group together. But kind of like you said about Dream Theater - a bunch of great musicians don't necessarily make a great band.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Especially compared to his later work. Not sure about the rest of the band, but usually musician of that caliber group together. But kind of like you said about Dream Theater - a bunch of great musicians don't necessarily make a great band.
What? Not even the Traveling Wilburys? I’m shattered 😝

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What? Not even the Traveling Wilburys? I’m shattered 😝
Clapton, Page, Steve Windwood, etc. there were a hoard of musical giants in that particular era that all interacted in some way. I think the Wilbury's were the next generation.