Tokin’ Tunes

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
Stoner rock ... 'cause I'm stoned and it rocks for over 4 decades.

@H.A.F - I was ecstatic when I was finally able to play this song note for note from beginning to end, sans Buck's sizzling line entering the break.

StonedAgeGrower

Hmmmmmm. Common theme I think.

I got a guitar at age 13 after hearing David Gilmore from Pink Floyd. This was mid 70's. I always thought Jimmy Page was sloppy, but love Zeppelin. Guitar was everything as far as my music preference.

I saw a lot of bands live from about '78-'84 - like, everyone that toured and hit Atlanta where I burbed it in High School. The Omni was a park-n-ride away. The Fox Theater (think Skynyrd live - I was there) was walking distance from another stop.

Lots of bands I worked and worked to be able to copy their songs - all by ear or tabs - can't read sheet music. But I am probably one of the only people in the world that could play the entire side one of 2112 before I learned Back in Black or Smoke on the Water...

So bands that I could easily replicate after I got good stopped impressing me- other than their ability to do something simple and make it $$$. Def Leppard is a great example.
I've had people try to fight me for saying Jimmy Page was a bit sloppy compared to Tony Iomi or the king of clean leads Dave Gilmour. People are passionate about their guitar heros 🤣

2112 is a hell of an album🤘. When I first got a guitar my father gave me Dark Side of the Moon and Santana's Abraxxus and said I could stop practicing when I could play em note for note. Still practicing my Santana licks to this day lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Makes no difference to me if they're mega stars or if no one but me has discovered them. I hear something I like, and it doesn't matter who the artist is. I've never owned a Def Lepperd recording, but I play this about once a month - 'cause I dig it.

This was the first DL song we learned. Before they hit it with the later albums

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I try to do metal renditions of video game music and classic rock and whatever else. I call it stoner doom metal, mostly because I’m a big f*****ng stoner and my tone sounds most like adam jones, which turns out to be quite versatile.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner rock ... 'cause I'm stoned and it rocks for over 4 decades.

@H.A.F - I was ecstatic when I was finally able to play this song note for note from beginning to end, sans Buck's sizzling line entering the break.

My BOC song

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've had people try to fight me for saying Jimmy Page was a bit sloppy compared to Tony Iomi or the king of clean leads Dave Gilmour. People are passionate about their guitar heros 🤣

2112 is a hell of an album🤘. When I first got a guitar my father gave me Dark Side of the Moon and Santana's Abraxxus and said I could stop practicing when I could play em note for note. Still practicing my Santana licks to this day lol
You mention Carlos - I mention transcending that second album. Rob Thomas singing also came up recently - Hmmmmm

Amos Otis

Brisco's Bargain Beans
My BOC song
I saw them dozens of times - even worked on their road crew as a ' back ' for 9 stops on an east coast swing in '77. Even as a huge fan, I always felt that their live shows were lacking, including their live releases.

But those first 5 studio lps before Albert was canned - drop the stylus anywhere on the vinyl and you're guaranteed awesomeness.

Kick out the jams, brothers and sisters.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Started w Black Sabbath if ya really boil it down, then spread further by bands like Sleep and Kyuss
Wrong, actually. Black Sabbath was actually the beginning of Heavy Metal - Literally.

Toni Iommi had no tips on the fingers of his left hand. He has plastic extensions on the nubs left from the industrial press accident that removed his fingertips. When a london magazine reporter asked how he got his distinctive sound his reply was that is was from a heavy piece of metal...

StonedAgeGrower

You mention Carlos - I mention transcending that second album. Rob Thomas singing also came up recently - Hmmmmm
I missed your mention of Santana. Not sure what you mean transcending the album? That you were able to play it?

I only know of Matchbox 20 from that one tune you posted and the song he did w Carlos. Wasn't one of my faves that's for sure.

StonedAgeGrower

Wrong, actually. Black Sabbath was actually the beginning of Heavy Metal - Literally.

Toni Iommi had no tips on the fingers of his left hand. He has plastic extensions on the nubs left from the industrial press accident that removed his fingertips. When a london magazine reporter asked how he got his distinctive sound his reply was that is was from a heavy piece of metal...
I'm well aware of Tony's fingertips, and the heavy metal origin. Sabbath was hugely influential and began the Heavy Metal sound. They also started the sound that became the badly labeled "Stoner Rock" subgenre in the 90s. Both are true

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I missed your mention of Santana. Not sure what you mean transcending the album? That you were able to play it?
Many one hit wonders, less bands that can put out a decent second album. Those that transcend the second album have potential for greatness.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm well aware of Tony's fingertips, and the heavy metal origin. Sabbath was hugely influential and began the Heavy Metal sound. They also started the sound that became the badly labeled "Stoner Rock" subgenre in the 90s. Both are true
Again - wrong. Syd Barret and Pink Floyd had that already in the bag before that. There was a whole psychadelic rock thing going on that was labeled "stoner" by the mainstream.

StonedAgeGrower

Again - wrong. Syd Barret and Pink Floyd had that already in the bag before that. There was a whole psychadelic rock thing going on that was labeled "stoner" by the mainstream.
Not sure why you seem so hostile to shoot my point down.

Well aware of their legacy on they psychedelic Rock scene. I think if you had read the wiki link I posted about the specific sub genre I'm talking about that is referred to as Stoner Rock or Doom or Sludge Rock, you would understand what I'm saying a bit more

I'll refer to it as Sludge from now on I suppose to not ruffle any feathers. While many bands in the Sludge Rock movement love Floyd, their music is not Floyd-like in any way, and MUCH more influenced by Sabbath.

StonedAgeGrower

Maybe this will illustrate my point. This video is The Sword, a pretty standard sound for the Sludge or Stoner Rock subgenre (which was called that long before I listened to it). Surely you can hear (and see) the Sabbath influence. (Video is from 08 btw)

The sticking point seems to be you don't understand I'm talking about one specific genre and not saying "Rock that Stoners enjoy". I didn't invent the label Stoner rock, just using it.

Light one up, enjoy 🤘🔥

Last edited: