The Upward Spyral

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thanks Opie. Not tight buds on the top? Is it detrimental in any way? I don't think I see that in mine but could be too early to tell (entering week 4 of flower)
@SoLowDoughLow is probably spot on with his theory. Foxtailing usually happens late in flower and it is round cylinder type growth coming out of the top of a bud. No harm that i am aware of. Just unusual growth.CVG week 7 006.JPG

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
It’s my understanding that fox tailing can be good or bad, genetic or caused by heat/light stress.

The good: genetic; most commonly found in some Sativas from tropical regions. Which would make sense. They’ve adapted to their environment as fox tailing is usually a defense mechanism to help dissipate heat. Plants that genetically foxtail tend to have a higher THC content.

The bad: heat/light stress related. Fox tailing can occur from heat/light stress due to intensity, of which LED or HPS are the most susceptible. In this case, the calyces are focusing on spiral growth away from the normal structure, in an attempt to dissipate heat. This focus on stressed growth can have a negative affect on overall THC content.

Monitoring environmental temps, surface leaf temps, raising the light, or dimming the light can aid in alleviating these stressors if you’re starting to see signs of fox tailing and they’re in fact not genetic.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
It’s my understanding that fox tailing can be good or bad, genetic or caused by heat/light stress.

The good: genetic; most commonly found in some Sativas from tropical regions. Which would make sense. They’ve adapted to their environment as fox tailing is usually a defense mechanism to help dissipate heat. Plants that genetically foxtail tend to have a higher THC content.

The bad: heat/light stress related. Fox tailing can occur from heat/light stress due to intensity, of which LED or HPS are the most susceptible. In this case, the calyces are focusing on spiral growth away from the normal structure, in an attempt to dissipate heat. This focus on stressed growth can have a negative affect on overall THC content.

Monitoring environmental temps, surface leaf temps, raising the light, or dimming the light can aid in alleviating these stressors if you’re starting to see signs of fox tailing and they’re in fact not genetic.
Thank you for that, very informative. So it seems with indoor it would lean more to the bad especially with more hybrids being grown. We'll see how it goes, I would think it would start showing pretty soon if it all.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
On my last run Blackjack #1 grew with conical flowers, while Blackjack #2 grew with rounded flowers. Aesthetically I preferred the rounded tops vs. conical. BJ#1 was positioned in the center of the tent directly under the light. BJ#2 was along the outer edge. At the time, I had assumed this was just different expressions between the two.

On my current run, they’re both along the outer edge of the tent and they both are growing with rounded tops.

My BCK has been placed in the center on both runs and has been consistent with conical shaped flowers.

Every plant grown in the center to this point has expressed conical shaped flowers, while almost all of the outliers have grown with rounded tops.

My theory is while the plants in the center aren’t fox tailing, they’re very close to reaching that heat/stress threshold and in-turn growing conical.

I’ll have more information in the next run to test this theory with the BCK as some will be outliers. It will be interesting to see if they continue to grow conically and it’s genetic, or if it’s in fact light/heat related.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
On my last run Blackjack #1 grew with conical flowers, while Blackjack #2 grew with rounded flowers. Aesthetically I preferred the rounded tops vs. conical. BJ#1 was positioned in the center of the tent directly under the light. BJ#2 was along the outer edge. At the time, I had assumed this was just different expressions between the two.

On my current run, they’re both along the outer edge of the tent and they both are growing with rounded tops.

My BCK has been placed in the center on both runs and has been consistent with conical shaped flowers.

Every plant grown in the center to this point has expressed conical shaped flowers, while almost all of the outliers have grown with rounded tops.

My theory is while the plants in the center aren’t fox tailing, they’re very close to reaching that heat/stress threshold and in-turn growing conical.

I’ll have more information in the next run to test this theory with the BCK as some will be outliers. It will be interesting to see if they continue to grow conically and it’s genetic, or if it’s in fact light/heat related.
Great info, this is good to know and watch for. Even though there isn't much we can do about it given the situation and equipment limitations at the moment. The light coverage is definitely more concentrated in the center vs. the perimeter because of the lights we're using. Interesting stuff indeed.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Great info, this is good to know and watch for. Even though there isn't much we can do about it given the situation and equipment limitations at the moment. The light coverage is definitely more concentrated in the center vs. the perimeter because of the lights we're using. Interesting stuff indeed.
I think @Phylex pretty well nailed it. I do feel it can be negative though. When I get foxtailing it is because of intensity, my temperature issues swing on the low end. A strain that is not genetically disposed to it is doing it as a reaction to the environment and therefor must spend energy to correct the imbalance, some stress is good and will create the terpene and canabinoid profiles we seek imo, too much and the plant just goes to survival mode. It is tough balance and I look forward to what @Phylex finds and has to say.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I think @Phylex pretty well nailed it. I do feel it can be negative though. When I get foxtailing it is because of intensity, my temperature issues swing on the low end. A strain that is not genetically disposed to it is doing it as a reaction to the environment and therefor must spend energy to correct the imbalance, some stress is good and will create the terpene and canabinoid profiles we seek imo, too much and the plant just goes to survival mode. It is tough balance and I look forward to what @Phylex finds and has to say.
When buying buds we've noticed this foxtailing a lot but didn't know what it was or if it was anything bad. Since growing and learning (a whole lot of learning in a short amount of time), we've become much more in tune with the plant's growth patterns, its characteristics, etc. I've always liked to know the "why" instead of just the "how" about things.

SSGrower

Average Grower
When buying buds we've noticed this foxtailing a lot but didn't know what it was or if it was anything bad. Since growing and learning (a whole lot of learning in a short amount of time), we've become much more in tune with the plant's growth patterns, its characteristics, etc. I've always liked to know the "why" instead of just the "how" about things.
Dispensaries push to hard, I used to think they get more gpw of better bud than I did. That was probably true in the beginning. Now, by growing for myself (again), by my methods, I put my shit up against a dispensary anyday and I get a great return on my investment.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Just some fun shots

View attachment 13631
Bridezilla 2 pretty leaf

View attachment 13632
One of our 4 dogs. He has well over a hundred word vocabulary, knows several tricks, and understands full sentences. Sometimes it's hard to have a convo around him; he always wants to go for rides so if we talk about going to the store or something he'll expect to go and give you that look while following you all the way to the door.
View attachment 13633
😁😅 there's a pic of him on the Pets thread with a 15 blade ECSD leaf
if-my-dog-could-talk-dog-wat-doing-me-nothing-2765481.png
^^^ THIS IS MY DOGS 2X +110LBS Pyrenees mixes.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
@spyralout okay you got me a little nervous on the stretch. I am 1 week into 12/12 and during her grooming session she said i am going to be a beautiful LONG legged bitch. I said NO your not.View attachment 13898
These are stout girls. Looks like you gotta play rough with them. I didn't and am sorta paying the price. Saw that you mentioned first time ever supercropping week 1 of flower in your thread. I've never done it on purpose but this round there was so much vegetation a few branches snapped. Some did it on their own. Was able to save some with duct tape. The tallest one is over 5 ft tall bent. Unbent, probably through the tent. With over a month to go 😨😬

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
These are stout girls. Looks like you gotta play rough with them. I didn't and am sorta paying the price. Saw that you mentioned first time ever supercropping week 1 of flower in your thread. I've never done it on purpose but this round there was so much vegetation a few branches snapped. Some did it on their own. Was able to save some with duct tape. The tallest one is over 5 ft tall bent. Unbent, probably through the tent. With over a month to go 😨😬
I am going to stay on my toes after seeing your stretch!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
So after battling the weird numbers with dilution and RO flushes the ph took a huge dive yesterday morning. 5.9 to 4.8 😕😬
Ran to the hydro shop and got some florakleen. Couldn't help but grab a bag of happy frog too 😉🤫😗
Ran florakleen with RO for about 10 hours, flushed again with RO for a couple hours to wash out the florakleen. Nuted up to 630 ppm with GH3. Saved the megacrop to start the next run. Ppm dropped 10 points and ph rose 1 point overnight. Plants drank 2 gallons. Good signs 👍 Fresh benny tea and all. Hope it's getting back on track. Strange thing happened - the leak seemed to be getting worse but after the florakleen flush it hasn't leaked nearly as much as before, wtf? Still leaking a bit but we'll take it. Gonna be away from them overnight so fingers crossed 🤞

This morning before lights out, beginning Week 5 tonight

Bridezilla #1

ECSD #2 - this one was hiding in the back, had to pull back a buncha shit to reveal it

ECSD #1 - bent branches, one with duct tape helping to repair the break

They're loooking ok despite all the different stresses we've been putting them through - running a couple hours OT to fix issues, nute brand changes, flushes, heavy defoliation, and a few peek-ins during lights out to adjust ph during the significant swings. Hardy plants. Wish it was all running optimal to see what they can really do. All great learning experience nonetheless. One thing's for sure, having the meter probes in the epi has helped in many ways. Constant monitoring of the numbers with readings at a glance helped diagnose things quickly especially when that super hard ph drop fuckery happened. This might've been why the plants aren't much worse. Part thinking 🤔 part luck 😅 Hope no late stage weirdness like nanners pop up 😬

Last edited:

SSGrower

Average Grower
Totally curious about that pot you're building from scratch
@macsnax will be field testing it. I am volunteering you bro - you didnt think it was actually going to be "free" did ya?
Finnished one of the inners last night, 2nd will be done today, pics later. Then they have to dry for at least a week before firing. Was gonna do a firing today of the smaller ones. But it is too hot to have a +2000F oven running in the garage (with some lucinda williams hanging:oops:). I am trying to perfect underfiring for the inners. This is when the temperature is held lower that the firing temp that results in a "closed" form. The clay is left "open" making the piece permiable to water, it will still hold it, it just soaks into the piece and evaporates before actually leaking out. I think it will provide a home for benies when media dries out EM1 is sold as an additive for brick making AND a gardening aid I have added it to clay in the past. Clay is a living material I can feel it go from a resting state to an active one when working with it. I believe it makes for an excelent material for containers because of not only the technical aspects but that there is some not quite apparent or tangible benifit.

Ooof, that got longer than I expected...