The Upward Spyral

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Were you able to send them a sample of your smoke reports? Your's may be some of the best i have ever seen.
Thank you Capt πŸ˜ƒ. No I didn't. There is a big list of requirements such as having a Facebook, Twitter, linking all of your social media info (all of which I don't have and don't want, sock or not), really all the stuff that would totally obliterate privacy, which I hold in high regard (not just for me but also for others as well). I wouldn't want anyone linked to me to get their stuff all dug into as a side effect to what I'm doing. Just posting on this forum alone has gone past my typical comfort zone. If it didn't require video of me and my actual likeness, then I would consider it.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Thank you Capt πŸ˜ƒ. No I didn't. There is a big list of requirements such as having a Facebook, Twitter, linking all of your social media info (all of which I don't have and don't want, sock or not), really all the stuff that would totally obliterate privacy, which I hold in high regard (not just for me but also for others as well). I wouldn't want anyone linked to me to get their stuff all dug into as a side effect to what I'm doing. Just posting on this forum alone has gone past my typical comfort zone. If it didn't require video of me and my actual likeness, then I would consider it.
I don't blame you on the social media i would not like that ether.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Square for the win !

Without putting too many innuendos in your mouth,,, what you are saying is the threaded stem of the fitting is too large and whereby not passing into the bucket freely ( without friction)?
This tension is causing a pucker ?

Only pestering you. so I can better understand. One may find some very obscure villains whilst troubleshooting that issue.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Square for the win !

Without putting too many innuendos in your mouth,,, what you are saying is the threaded stem of the fitting is too large and whereby not passing into the bucket freely ( without friction)?

Only pestering you. so I can better understand. One may find some very obscure villains whilst troubleshooting that issue.
Or if there is a rubber gasket(s) that has been deformed slightly from overtightening.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Square for the win !

That is correct. A looser fitting hole would be better for surface mating with less bow but would feel sloppy. However I believe that the material of the bucket does not handle chilled water and hot lights very well. They sweat easy so insulation would be helpful. I can see where they will eventually get brittle and crack. I had one bucket crack just from removing a bulkhead after a run. My intent is to go with a "tote style" of plastic. Same shape as thr current buckets but just a bit taller. The key to the mystery here is why does it happen in mid-late flower and not before? Hence the reasons I've surmised above.

And yes over tightening and gasket deforming is certainly an issue as well. It's just the margin for error on tightening is very small with this type of bucket, at least for me. I'm sure I can make it work but it's worth me trying a different bucket because I intend to build another (larger) system so if switching bucket types works out well then I know what to get for the bigger system.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
That is correct. A looser fitting hole would be better for surface mating with less bow but would feel sloppy. However I believe that the material of the bucket does not handle chilled water and hot lights very well. They sweat easy so insulation would be helpful. I can see where they will eventually get brittle and crack. I had one bucket crack just from removing a bulkhead after a run. My intent is to go with a "tote style" of plastic. Same shape as thr current buckets but just a bit taller. The key to the mystery here is why does it happen in mid-late flower and not before? Hence the reasons I've surmised above.

And yes over tightening and gasket deforming is certainly an issue as well. It's just the margin for error on tightening is very small with this type of bucket, at least for me. I'm sure I can make it work but it's worth me trying a different bucket because I intend to build another (larger) system so if switching bucket types works out well then I know what to get for the bigger system.
Just curious can you use silicone as well when installing a bulk head fitting like that?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
Just curious can you use silicone as well when installing a bulk head fitting like that?
I think so but I think some silicone grease may be even better. I had tried to repair the first system with some silicone like stuff and the pump pulled it through the leak gaps contaminating the whole system with a shit ton of floaties. Took 5 flushes to get that shit out. Lesson learned.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲πŸ”₯πŸ’¨
No joke, rub a little lube on the gasket and it doesn't like to kink and wrinkle. A little soapy water does wonders. 😁
A dremel with a round sanding bit or a round edged file do really well to fine tune hole size for ya too.
I used silicone brake grease. Yea I was thinking a cone shaped bit.
The bulkheads I've put in blowes commander totes have all been leak free even with a significantly bigger hole in relation to bulkhead size with 20+ gal recirculating. Walls stay flat and don't cave as bad.

Last edited:

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Before you invest in a tote, give it a quick test at the store. If you can bend the lid in half without evidence, it will work. If you can't bend it , it will work. If it snaps, and little shards fly everywhere, you didn't want it anyway.

Silicone can change the geometry of the mating surface, . Use caution with other products. Some gaskets are true rubber, petroleum products are out.

Have you checked the clearance between the lands? I have seen fittings ( intended for thicker hulls?) with over length male threads. The bucket was so thin I ran out of female thread before I had ample compression on the gasket. If this happened in your case, the gasket could harden up , shrinking over time, accommodating a leak down the road.

Is damn tricky business. Really, you only get a small portion of the span of the gasket for contact. The smaller the plumbing, the lower the tolerances.
A thermostat housing has two bolts running through the gasket- those suckers line up every time and don't leak !