The Upward Spyral

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
It was way over time to clean the F&D totes. When I moved the T5 closer, about 4" away from the plants, the little bit of water pooled up in the tray started growing algae. Pretty quick and easy to clean. Had brewed up some bennies last night so everyone got a healthy dose along with about 500 PPM/pH 5.9 RO water - Megacrop and Cal Mag. There was still under half a tote full of water left so it was heavy carrying it up and over the tent window. I suspect once the plants start growing and drinking more it won't be as big of a deal because I'll try to time change outs when they're low on water. If not, I might attach a longer hose to the pump to drain. A line to the res with float valve might be good too :unsure: but for now I am really digging this setup the way it is.

Had to scoot the totes under the other T5 because the other one stopped lighting up. I think I can scrounge up a ballast somewhere. Until I move more things around, it's hard to take pics from the "original" side so the plant numbers are in reverse (see chart). About 1 week veg.

20190919_221644_tote1reverse.jpg
Tote1_Reverse_View.JPG
BA = Black Abyss (@Phylex)
SI = Space Invasion (@Phylex)

20190919_221810_tote2reverse.jpg
Tote2_Reverse_View.JPG
GW = God-O-War (@Phylex)
SI = Space Invasion
(@Phylex)

View attachment F&D_1&2 .mp4

View attachment 20190919 222108-1.mp4

👋

Texagonian

Outlaw
It was way over time to clean the F&D totes. When I moved the T5 closer, about 4" away from the plants, the little bit of water pooled up in the tray started growing algae. Pretty quick and easy to clean. Had brewed up some bennies last night so everyone got a healthy dose along with about 500 PPM/pH 5.9 RO water - Megacrop and Cal Mag. There was still under half a tote full of water left so it was heavy carrying it up and over the tent window. I suspect once the plants start growing and drinking more it won't be as big of a deal because I'll try to time change outs when they're low on water. If not, I might attach a longer hose to the pump to drain. A line to the res with float valve might be good too :unsure: but for now I am really digging this setup the way it is.

Had to scoot the totes under the other T5 because the other one stopped lighting up. I think I can scrounge up a ballast somewhere. Until I move more things around, it's hard to take pics from the "original" side so the plant numbers are in reverse (see chart). About 1 week veg.

View attachment 22535
View attachment 22536
BA = Black Abyss (@Phylex)
SI = Space Invasion (@Phylex)

View attachment 22538
View attachment 22537
GW = God-O-War (@Phylex)
SI = Space Invasion
(@Phylex)

View attachment 22542

View attachment 22543

👋
Right on man! May I make a suggestion. If it were me at your stage I would flip them now. Either that or pinch the very top out because it’s gonna get crazy right quick. Again, just a suggestion. They’re looking great and just so you know I use the pump and a long hose to a five gallon bucket as many times as it takes to empty the tote. I’m ashamed to say I e only changed my one original tote once though and the added tote is fresh. I just been monitoring and since the roots aren’t always submerged like rdwc I haven’t had the ppm swings like that. I just let ph drift to 6.5 and then bring it down with water top off adjusted down. Rock on bro!🔥🔥🔥

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Right on man! May I make a suggestion. If it were me at your stage I would flip them now. Either that or pinch the very top out because it’s gonna get crazy right quick. Again, just a suggestion. They’re looking great and just so you know I use the pump and a long hose to a five gallon bucket as many times as it takes to empty the tote. I’m ashamed to say I e only changed my one original tote once though and the added tote is fresh. I just been monitoring and since the roots aren’t always submerged like rdwc I haven’t had the ppm swings like that. I just let ph drift to 6.5 and then bring it down with water top off adjusted down. Rock on bro!🔥🔥🔥
Thanks Tex. These plants are loving it so far. I can't flip quite yet because of timing and space. But I will definitely consider your suggestion. Lotta work to do this weekend. I think the rdwc plants, at least the big one, are gonna be an issue 😬

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Haven't found any used hoods worth getting yet so I converted one of my 6" HPS 600 hoods

20190920_172440~2.jpg

20190920_172612.jpg
10 sec on

20190920_172702.jpg
20 sec on

20190920_172706.jpg
30 sec on

20190920_172738.jpg
45 sec on

The pics don't do it justice. This thing is BRIGHT AF (now I have a use for that welding helmet haha. Ok probably get some special sunglasses or ski goggles). Lit up the whole living room and the curtains are wide open lol. The adapter holds the bulb well but it doesn't screw all the way in (not all the threads are used). Hope it won't cause any issues.

So far -
- $30 ballast (new)
- $69 bulb (new)
- $11 adapter (new)
- $0 hood (used)

$110. If we can find a $10-30 hood, it will be $120-140. Not bad for this type of light (y)

Last edited:

Texagonian

Outlaw
Hey @spyralout , what beans you running rdwc? I got lost with the f&d. Is it heisenbeans? What’d you end up changing on your system other than a leak repair? I’m just trying to get my facts straight, sorry about all the questions bro. Killer gear man! I gotta get my buddy to bring his cmh to work one day so I can buy it. I was supposed to get it the week we had the baby but that didn’t happen. I’m looking forward to seeing how this grow goes for you man🍻👊🏻✌🏻

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hey @spyralout , what beans you running rdwc? I got lost with the f&d. Is it heisenbeans? What’d you end up changing on your system other than a leak repair? I’m just trying to get my facts straight, sorry about all the questions bro. Killer gear man! I gotta get my buddy to bring his cmh to work one day so I can buy it. I was supposed to get it the week we had the baby but that didn’t happen. I’m looking forward to seeing how this grow goes for you man🍻👊🏻✌🏻
Man, you know better than to apologize for asking me questions 😄
Yes Heisenbeans. 3 Sunset Wedding, 3 Punch Buggy/Purple Crash.
I have been lagging on the repair and I'm going to pay the price for it 😬 Between work, my family, the 2 & 1/2 tents (lol 😉😗), finding lights, researching, chuckers, LIFE, etc etc it's been tough finding the time, money, and motivation to do it. Kinda like putting off those squeaky brakes until they start grinding for 17 weeks and then you're forced to replace the rotors.
I am replacing one bucket because it bowed in and was part of the reason for the leak. I'm also redoing the T-root runner and adding 2 sites for a total of 6 sites and moving the epi bucket outside of the tent. All that took cutting 12 more bulkheads and several pieces of PVC. Also rearranging how everything is situated in the pond to make more efficient use of the space. Gotta love square shaped things for that (RO collection can is square too lol). We will have less working space but will free up room for an addition - 4x3 propogation tent with separate rack section for seedlings and clones. Main space for (hopefully) bonsai moms. Trying to go as budget as we can without seriously compromising quality. It's next on the list of expenses. Then we'll have a spot to start a library complete with workcenters from Work-In-Process to Finished Goods. The only other thing would be another truly dedicated veg space to constantly feed the tents. One step (or two) at a time. It's coming together.
Screenshot-2019-04-18-at-14.52.38.png
Thanks for the interest. I enjoy the convo 👊🤘

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Haven't found any used hoods worth getting yet so I converted one of my 6" HPS 600 hoods

View attachment 22681

View attachment 22682
10 sec on

View attachment 22683
20 sec on

View attachment 22684
30 sec on

View attachment 22685
45 sec on

The pics don't do it justice. This thing is BRIGHT AF (now I have a use for that welding helmet haha. Ok probably get some special sunglasses or ski goggles). Lit up the whole living room and the curtains are wide open lol. The adapter holds the bulb well but it doesn't screw all the way in (not all the threads are used). Hope it won't cause any issues.

So far -
- $30 ballast (new)
- $69 bulb (new)
- $11 adapter (new)
- $0 hood (used)

$110. If we can find a $10-30 hood, it will be $120-140. Not bad for this type of light (y)
Damn brother that’s a good unit for the price. Love the converted hood. Ya don’t be looking at that shit.. it’s like looking at a single cob or light engine that’s 300 watts lol. After having looked at them a few times my eyes are pretty f@ckered mang.
Buying this unit used off my buddy who s out the game for now for $250 Canadian. It’s got the philips 3100k bulb also with fairly low miles lol. I’m stoked cause I’ve always wanted a nano since i layed eyes on it
66C6BF20-3E0D-447B-88DD-7803F2B0DD78.jpeg
Gonna use the 2 vert 315s in flower and the horizontal one in veg this winter. All the leds and hps units will be at other location 👍 atm I have a couple massive bubblegummers in the way. (Too tall to fit under a cmh) one thing about cmh.. especially if it’s horizontal, you need some good distance between it and the canopy or she’s a little much lol. Like not cause of heat.. cause it’s too much light of uv of some sh!t. (Sorry If I lost u with my technical jargon)
Shit man, how much sqftage you growing this winter!? Prob more than my whole cabin 😆😍

Last edited:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Damn brother that’s a good unit for the price. Love the converted hood. Ya don’t be looking at that shit.. it’s like looking at a single cob or light engine that’s 300 watts lol. After having looked at them a few times my eyes are pretty f@ckered mang.
Buying this unit used off my buddy who s out the game for now for $250 Canadian. It’s got the philips 3100k bulb also with fairly low miles lol. I’m stoked cause I’ve always wanted a nano since i layed eyes on it
View attachment 22723
Gonna use the 2 vert 315s in flower and the horizontal one in veg this winter. All the leds and hps units will be at other location 👍 atm I have a couple massive bubblegummers in the way. (Too tall to fit under a cmh) one thing about cmh.. especially if it’s horizontal, you need some good distance between it and the canopy or she’s a little much lol. Like not cause of heat.. cause it’s too much light of uv of some sh!t. (Sorry If I lost u with my technical jargon)
Shit man, how much sqftage you growing this winter!? Prob more than my whole cabin 😆😍
That vert hood is badass man. They're expensive though so I use what I can get lol. Thanks for the tip. Bring the tech talk on! As long as I get the concept I will be fine. It helps me learn too (y) about how far away? I unplugged it to run it through the kill a watt and the led display started blinking open circuit on me. No reset switch and fuses were fine. After 15 min or so I plugged it back in and it works! Some failsafe probably timed. Fuck it I'll take the display reading for what it's worth don't wanna risk that shit again lol.
20190920_222318.jpg
Kinda hard to see but it reads 315 watts and flashes to 120 volts I think.

20190920_222027_cmh315.jpg
Only 1 day of RO/MC/Bennies and there's already a difference. They're getting blasted with CMH in this pic. One of the plants started reaching sideways for it as I was in the middle of a break from moving shit around lmao 😮 had to set her straight.
Space this winter - take a guess 🤔

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy

View attachment 22681

View attachment 22682
10 sec on

View attachment 22683
20 sec on

View attachment 22684
30 sec on

View attachment 22685
45 sec on

So far -
- $30 ballast (new)
- $69 bulb (new)
- $11 adapter (new)
- $0 hood (used)

I thought the same thing welding goggles when i fired mine up. Those cob led pucks are just as bright. Just have to be patient i bet those hoods pop up all the time on craigs or offer up. The real bargain is the longevity of those CMH bulbs.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I thought the same thing welding goggles when i fired mine up. Those cob led pucks are just as bright. Just have to be patient i bet those hoods pop up all the time on craigs or offer up. The real bargain is the longevity of those CMH bulbs.
You would think they would but the market in my area is all HPS/Blurple/T5 in that order. So when I do see something it does stand out. I would love a vert hood. I'll just be patient and wait like you said and just run what I can find in the meantime (y)

Jewels

Bon~Fire
A bulb is like a grenade - output in every direction. (SEE i )
20190921_113134.jpg
A reflector is like a funnel - all output a focused and redirected ( not truly amplified ) to where it is helpful. (SEE ii)
A bare bulb is kinda like how a firecracker ,it hurts, when it goes off in your hand.
It hurt , but most of the energy didnt go into your hand. (SEE 1)
A reflector is like putting all that photonic force in a brass jacket and squeezing it down a long pipe,,,all force in a single direction. They call them fire arms. Much more punch at the 'gathering place' (SEE 2)
A hanging bulb, properly positioned, will give enough force @ close range. The inherent danger is the extrodinanary heat produced in close quarters. (SEE 3)
So yes, the cool tube could be clevery inserted into the canopy and could distribute light in a manner unachievable, by other styles of fixtures.
Check out @Dirtbag fixtures. Monster parabolics span coast to coast. (SEE 4)

Different formulations of glass block different wavelengths. Hard to say. At least wire cage it.
Ask @badmofo529 , sounds like he has at least one hps tattoo.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
A bulb is like a grenade - output in every direction. (SEE i )
View attachment 22769
A reflector is like a funnel - all output a focused and redirected ( not truly amplified ) to where it is helpful. (SEE ii)
A bare bulb is kinda like how a firecracker ,it hurts, when it goes off in your hand.
It hurt , but most of the energy didnt go into your hand. (SEE 1)
A reflector is like putting all that photonic force in a brass jacket and squeezing it down a long pipe,,,all force in a single direction. They call them fire arms. Much more punch at the 'gathering place' (SEE 2)
A hanging bulb, properly positioned, will give enough force @ close range. The inherent danger is the extrodinanary heat produced in close quarters. (SEE 3)
So yes, the cool tube could be clevery inserted into the canopy and could distribute light in a manner unachievable, by other styles of fixtures.
Check out @Dirtbag fixtures. Monster parabolics span coast to coast. (SEE 4)

Different formulations of glass block different wavelengths. Hard to say. At least wire cage it.
Ask @badmofo529 , sounds like he has at least one hps tattoo.
Thanks for that. Love the visuals. Reading about bare bulb and how it might be a viable option. I'm reading more about how the glass somewhat filters UV like @badmofo529 suggests.

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
If you're not air-cooling it, yank the glass imo. Just make sure you wear sunglasses if you're gonna be in the room for a while.

Most of the photons come out of the bottom of the bulb on the cmh's from what I've read. That's why vert reflectors are preferred for them, I've seen them ran bare vert before with good results, as long as you got some good reflectivity on the walls. You just gotta be careful.

@Jewels I don't actually have any first-hand experience with hps, I went from cfl's to LED's. So luckily no hps tattoos lol. I have been kissed by the halogen fairy a few times though, so I imagine a 1000w would be even less fun lmao.