The Upward Spyral

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I pulled up on the tote and it did the vacuum suction thing,
Auditory confirmation : you are keeping 'datshit t-iiiight !

Just caught up, looking good.

My tap is also 250 'ish ppm. From what I have read,, we are near the 'to high' for hydro.

Have you been cutting with RO ? I am facing the same battle.
It is a conundrum. Start @ 240, add nute in ratio, aim for 450.
Now I worry, is 450 just too much ?
Is the 200 I added really enough for a fully veged plant ?
Is this how one wanders into nute lock out ?

Forgive me,,
I seem to be free spooling at the moment,but,,,
as I understand it, is that essentially how lockout occurs?
Is it a situation wherein the calcium acts more like candy for plants ? ,,and the calcium all finds a place ( cation, ion, CEC exchange)
and steals up the bonding sites for everything else?
Is nutrient lockout like a fat diabetic kid eating dessert first? Am I understanding this correctly?

Long story short. How do you prepare water ?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Auditory confirmation : you are keeping 'datshit t-iiiight !

Just caught up, looking good.

My tap is also 250 'ish ppm. From what I have read,, we are near the 'to high' for hydro.

Have you been cutting with RO ? I am facing the same battle.
It is a conundrum. Start @ 240, add nute in ratio, aim for 450.
Now I worry, is 450 just too much ?
Is the 200 I added really enough for a fully veged plant ?
Is this how one wanders into nute lock out ?

Forgive me,,
I seem to be free spooling at the moment,but,,,
as I understand it, is that essentially how lockout occurs?
Is it a situation wherein the calcium acts more like candy for plants ? ,,and the calcium all finds a place ( cation, ion, CEC exchange)
and steals up the bonding sites for everything else?
Is nutrient lockout like a fat diabetic kid eating dessert first? Am I understanding this correctly?

Long story short. How do you prepare water ?
Thanks man! I will soon replace the tote water with RO. I totally hear you on the dilemma - starting at 250 give so little wiggle room and I wonder if the 300 I add in nutes is enough for veg either. I had lockout the last run and this was because of high P I think. In the RDWC I ran straight RO no tap addback. Ph stayed relatively steady for me slight swings. Adjustments were made with just a bit of ph down (rarely up) if needed. It would swing hard if I added too much. With tap it took a whole lot more, and the next day the ph would be back up again and I would need to drop it back down. Wtf is in the 250 ppm? Chlorine and chloramine are highly basic so that must be a big chunk of it.
I mainly used tap to start the totes until I get my RDWC space situated and setup for the next run. Next will be to hook up another RO in my garage, cuz the tap ain't cutting it. Until then I will be filling jugs from the RO in the bedroom and lug em to the garage for every F&D refill, which will probably be every 2-3 days. We'll see how that goes once the roots touch water.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I spoiled my first hydro run with mostly RO.
I am trying to get by without it, this time round.

My town does not add chorlamine (Edmonton does) . Chlorine, I stopped being afriad of, after keeping fish for so long. It dissipates very fast.
My tap here is hard nearly exclusively to Calcium and Magnesium. Your municipality has this info available. I called to water treatment plant here, after I chatted with the friendly scientist dude for an hour, then sent me detailed pdfs.

What I need to figure out is the ideal amount (ppm) of calmag that people are shooting for when using RO.
I want to see if I can supplement tap, with the right amount of RO; idealisticly I really should know, and hopefully save a bit of money as well.
I have no idea. Is it around 200 ?
100 ? - I could mix 50-50 RO to get that.

So much to google- so little time. :unsure:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨

My town does not add chorlamine (Edmonton does) . Chlorine, I stopped being afriad of, after keeping fish for so long. It dissipates very fast.
My tap here is hard nearly exclusively to Calcium and Magnesium. Your municipality has this info available. I called to water treatment plant here, after I chatted with the friendly scientist dude for an hour, then sent me detailed pdfs.

What I need to figure out is the ideal amount (ppm) of calmag that people are shooting for when using RO.
I want to see if I can supplement tap, with the right amount of RO; idealisticly I really should know, and hopefully save a bit of money as well.

Calmag, i use Cali magic, 5ml per gal and then taper off at end. Tap to do mix for buffer, Ive heard and tried 20% tap to RO and it worked pretty well.
Thanks for the tip on the municipality. My tap ph is up in the mid 7s.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower

I usually shoot for 120-150

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
20190914_093910.jpg
Veg Tote.JPG
SW = Sunset Wedding (Heisenbeans)
PB = Punch Buggy/Purple Crash (Heisenbeans)

About 1 week veg. Some weird leaves on PB #1. The two replacements (SW #2, PB #2) are coming along. SW #3 fucking killing it. I even moved the airstone away a bit to see if it will slow down and nope lol. I've got a few days max before roots hit then 💥 Gotta finish up the RDWC repairs and test for leaks among other things. Timing's gonna be tight 😬

@Phylex plants doing great. Excellent progress. Strong so far 💪. Seriously can't wait for these roots to hit water. I think the timing is gonna be pretty good as far as flipping and hitting them with 12/12 and HPS. It should be in the high 80s by then and continue to taper off so the heat will be a bit less of an issue.
20190914_084218.jpg
Tote 1.JPG
BA = Black Abyss (@Phylex)
SI = Space Invasion (@Phylex)

Talk about wingspan. Spreading out and basking in the light. They (or I) better enjoy this space while they can because I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit crowded. If anything, sheer tenacity will get us through ✊

20190914_084230.jpg
Tote 2.JPG
SI = Space Invasion (@Phylex)
GW = God-O-War (@Phylex)

GW #2 is the one that I had to help by removing and scuffing, not Black Abyss. Looks like it worked! Coming along just fine. If the Space Invasions keep growing the way they are, they're really gonna start invading space; on the other plants! SI #4 and SI #6 are looking real good 👀 they're outgrowing the two Heisen replacements in the Veg Tote and they're about the same age.

It's going to be interesting to see once both systems' roots hit water. One has more movement and aeration in the water with constant exposure, the other one has less movement and timed exposure intervals. I suspect that once the net pots are transferred to the UC RDWC it'll be a different story.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
20190917_213059~2.jpg

20190917_213243~2.jpg
New. 60 bucks for both. Now to find some used hps hoods, mogul socket adapters, and Philips 3100k bulbs. This should turn out to be a pretty cost effective setup. Combining with hps and/or viparspectras. I really wanna see if they will produce "better quality" buds than the hps and viparspectra.

Texagonian

Outlaw
View attachment 21277
Fill 'er up! There's room for 2 more F&D totes as is. Once the veg tote is done, room for another 2 F&D totes? :unsure: :whistle:These are under an old Sun System 4ft/4 tube T5. Another T5 (different brand) is right next to it. It's gotta go to use somehow ;)

View attachment 21278
BA = Black Abyss - @Phylex
SI = Space Invasion - @Phylex
GW = God-O-War - @Phylex

View attachment 21287

16/16 so far with @Phylex beans, with 1 that was slow to pop so I fished it out and scuffed it (BA #4). All volcano as far as I could tell. We won't call this start of veg yet but it's cooling down a bit (except for another 4 day heat wave this week over 100+) and we need to get this going.
You got a full plate brother. Your totes are gonna full in quite nicely I’m sure. Be ready to do some pruning ✌🏻

Texagonian

Outlaw
Does the double ended plug into the same socket if I just got a mogul socket converter?
No, it will have the same cord to plug in to the ballast but the hood is de specific. You got one hell of a deal bro. Good job! I just went to growlite.com and they sell 315 cmh bulbs that have the standard mogul socket end which I haven’t seen until just now. They also sell full spectrum veg to flower double ended bulbs and a bunch more stuff as well. Just not the deal you got from OfferUp. Stoked for you man, once you get them running I think you’re gonna like them. Not a real hot lamp like a 1k either so that’s a plus.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
No, it will have the same cord to plug in to the ballast but the hood is de specific. You got one hell of a deal bro. Good job! I just went to growlite.com and they sell 315 cmh bulbs that have the standard mogul socket end which I haven’t seen until just now. They also sell full spectrum veg to flower double ended bulbs and a bunch more stuff as well. Just not the deal you got from OfferUp. Stoked for you man, once you get them running I think you’re gonna like them. Not a real hot lamp like a 1k either so that’s a plus.
Thanks Tex. Interesting. It's 4000K though, I want in the 3000s. I think these lights are going to make a difference. I said I wasn't going to get more HID unless I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up and here I am. Just gotta see it on through. I'm really liking this arsenal of light types to mix up the spectrums and whatnot.

Last edited: