The official Heisenbeans Youtube Competition

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The epsom salt is only to get the magnesium back into the RO water. If you are using an RO filter you need to put Ca and Mg back into it unless your soil has plenty of that already in it.
Yup. Tap water has good and bad junk in it. RO removes both so you have to put the necessary back in.
I go with a dry, mix-it-yourself CaMg+Fe. Fairly cheap and it makes two gallons - lasts a while.
I also add Silica (Silica Blast from Botanicare) at half strength to all the water too.
I have Athenas Amino's from Nectar for the Gods I add as well, but I am finding other natural sources for aminos and discontinuing that after expended.

Yup. Tap water has good and bad junk in it. RO removes both so you have to put the necessary back in.
I go with a dry, mix-it-yourself CaMg+Fe. Fairly cheap and it makes two gallons - lasts a while.
I also add Silica (Silica Blast from Botanicare) at half strength to all the water too.
I have Athenas Amino's from Nectar for the Gods I add as well, but I am finding other natural sources for aminos and discontinuing that after expended.
Salute H.A.F. say man I have just recently started adding silica to my foilar sparys and have been wondering does it separate back out and drop to the bottom of your spray bottle after a few days. Do you have any thoughts on that and is a simple shake of the bottle sufficient to mix it all back in before you spray it?

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This really depends on where you live. My town tap water is actually really good so I stopped using RO water close to 2 years ago and my plants haven't seemed to notice the difference. RO filters are fantastic, when you need them, but they are huge waste of water so I don't recommend using one unless absolutely necessary or unless you are using the waste water for something else.

Dalton

Nobody
This really depends on where you live. My town tap water is actually really good so I stopped using RO water close to 2 years ago and my plants haven't seemed to notice the difference. RO filters are fantastic, when you need them, but they are huge waste of water so I don't recommend using one unless absolutely necessary or unless you are using the waste water for something else.
my tap comes out around 90ppm

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Salute H.A.F. say man I have just recently started adding silica to my foilar sparys and have been wondering does it separate back out and drop to the bottom of your spray bottle after a few days. Do you have any thoughts on that and is a simple shake of the bottle sufficient to mix it all back in before you spray it?
I use it in feeding, not foliar. But I haven't noticed settling in the bottle. It will dry out and leave a crusty film, so if it's in a spray bottle I would expect to see it as a ring around the top rather than sediment in the bottom.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Hint - the run-off hose has been through three of the four filters. just not the last de-ionizing filter with the charcoal or whatever in it. Unless I am messing with seedlings I use both hoses - the "waste" hose is ~15-20ppm :unsure: :rolleyes: no matter what those are it ain't enough to kill anything.
Why are you bothering with the RO membrane if you are doing that? You’re slowing down your flow rate hugely by using the RO membrane and there’s no point in using it if you are just mixing the waste water back in.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Why are you bothering with the RO membrane if you are doing that? You’re slowing down your flow rate hugely by using the RO membrane and there’s no point in using it if you are just mixing the waste water back in.
I use the 0ppm for baby plants and such. Or if I am mixig coconut water from freeze dried, or anything else where a hint of chlorine might be bad.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Do a test on both the RO, and the almost RO from the waste tube. I had some pool test strips that check for crap other than pH and 'ppm' and it showed nothing for any of the bad junk - chlorine, chloramine, etc.
That’s because the carbon filters handle just about everything. The RO membrane really is only used for separation of extremely small bacteria and chemical compounds that aren’t caught by the pre-filters. The only thing that would really cause you to need to use one would be where you want the PPM down to next to nothing. I still use mine for my seedlings but I honestly wouldn’t buy one just for that since they do fine with tap water, too, unless your tap water is really bad.