The Junk Yard

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I use a 19" Trim Bowl to take off the big stuff before I fine trim with Fiskars flower pruners. It's saved me weeks of work and well worth the $140.
View attachment 25223
Nah, I air-rifled that can sighting in the scope on my .22. Though I Dew pound those cans pretty hard when I'm setting up the garden. Yup, I love my yearly jungle but I'm a victim of my own success. The first year I sat among the plants in a deck chair gettin my zen on but the last 2 yrs they've gotten so big there's no longer any room for a chair and the ground is too muddy from all the shade. One of my girls last year made it to this Feb before I finally chopped it. That plant was from a real funky unidentified bag seed I recieved in a 2017 order. The buds were so small and foul smelling I just burned it on the brush pile instead of trimming. It would be pretty cool to grow a "Christmas" tree but the local weather gets too cold and temps under 40F aren't conducive to a good veg or quality nuggs.
What is the plan for indoor this winter? How many watts we workin with now? Those cxb s sure make good use of whatever you can get off those panels. Would be cool to do a greenhouse with the cobs supplementing the low light and adding a tiny bit of welcome heat.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Yay, my neighbor's genny just ran out of gas. I'll get at least 10-15min of peace and quiet. This 1/2 of Cali power outage is kinda freaky. Not used to having the power out in the fall. We don't usually lose power till we get a good snow storm. I'm so happy I got my solar system set up this summer. My day was almost normal except for the lack of running water. My trailer has a pump but it's no replacement for real water pressure. The dual power fridge runs on propane and 12v when the ac power goes out. The propane works so well I have to turn it down to keep everything from freezing. Hopefully the power comes back on in the next couple days before my girls get too thirsty. If the well is still off then I can fill up some bottles at the local spring but lugging them up to the garden takes it's toll on me. Fingers crossed.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
I was thinking of getting one of those trim devices, but was concerned about it knocking the crap outta the trichomes.
For your xmas tree, grow one inside ;)
They don't kief them too much if you're gentle and pay attention. That's why I only crank it about 6-7 revolutions. The drier the bud, the more kief is lost. Oviously, right? What l mean is it's for fresh bud, unlike tumbler or bag trimmers. Haven't had any complaints or a noticeable loss of efficacy when I use it (not much more than what's normally lost in the hand trimming process). I wouldn't use it for less than a few lbs or if I had a highly skilled team of trimmers. I always prefer a quality hand trimming if possible but I believe I would lose more potency to oxidation due to the time it would take if I were to take on 6-10lbs 100% hand trimmed. Air and sunlight are the biggest enemies of potent bud. That's why I vacuum seal my herb in glass mason jars, preferably in blue glass with 62% Boveta humidity control packs.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
What is the plan for indoor this winter? How many watts we workin with now? Those cxb s sure make good use of whatever you can get off those panels. Would be cool to do a greenhouse with the cobs supplementing the low light and adding a tiny bit of welcome heat.
My solar is completely dedicated to my trailer at this point so I don't plan on doing a winter grow this year. Things have been really tight around here since my cousin died and I don't want to risk leaving his widow with a huge power bill. I know the lights don't run that much but PG&E pre-bills her in one lump sum payment based on estimated future power usage. Even if I were to give her money for the extra usage every month I don't think she'd be prepared when the bill does come. It's all mucked up because of how they bill with her solar system. Screw PG&E!!!!! Friggin a$$-clowns!!! I hope we break up their bullsh*t illegal monopoly now that they've done this stupid power cut to half the state over some 15-20mph wind in 70F weather. How the f^ck did the NWS come up with this BS red flag warning.

I need more batteries and better access to sunlight if I'm ever going to be able to do a winter grow using only solar. My biggest hurdle isn't powering the lights, it's powering the heater trying to keep the plants warm.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Accidentally broke off this Uzi Cookie top when checking for anymore rot. Had another 3" at the tip before cutting away the rot. Close enough to ripe I'll go ahead and dry it out to smoke. Maybe it's salvageable.
20191011_102839.jpg

Took 3 tries and 20min to upload this pic. Even though our power is back on the cellular system is still screwy.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Accidentally broke off this Uzi Cookie top when checking for anymore rot. Had another 3" at the tip before cutting away the rot. Close enough to ripe I'll go ahead and dry it out to smoke. Maybe it's salvageable.
View attachment 25345

Took 3 tries and 20min to upload this pic. Even though our power is back on the cellular system is still screwy.
That almost looks like the state of Michigan lol! Man look at all the leaves, very doormat turf like.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Dayum monster buds congratulations very well done
Thank you. I've found no growing style more satisfying than full season outdoor plants in large pots. Not only do they produce monster colas, strain permitting, but I believe their flavor, smell, and effects are unmatched. Of course, the climate zone I live in has a great deal to do with that outcome and it takes 8-9 months from seed to harvest.

That almost looks like the state of Michigan lol! Man look at all the leaves, very doormat turf like.
Yeah, this strain looks very larfy but it's actually quite dense with calyces. They are very early on this cola but they will swell out and envelope much of those leaves. The Uzi Cookies flower early and harvest at the same time as the others. They build up super dense by the end.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
These little 1-2 day rainstorms are destroying my Uzi Cookie colas with water mold. I've lost another few zips after last night's shower. I don't know if there's anything I can do about it. An anti-mold spray won't reach the core of these dense buds where the mold is starting. I'm kinda bummin about this cause they're beatifully thick and heavy colas. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. My hands were too sticky to handle my phone after trimming them today.

At least none of my other girls are having this problem.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Super lame man :confused: and they've been going since April or so? Gahhhh how frustrating. Glad you have multiple plants, ummm...trees.
If this weather can hold mostly sunny for another 2-3 weeks I shouldn't lose much more. Most of the other girls are pretty loaded down with nugs and no mold. Had to spray pyrethrin 2 days ago beause of a near overnight infestation of cannabis aphids. Those fat little bastards can yellow a lot of leaves with a quickness. The girls are already getting greener again and I caught em before they did any real bud damage. The Jack Herer and Blue Magoo are almost untouched by pests but the rest, especially the Kashmir99, wer getting wrecked.

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Uzi Cookies nuggs getting smoked by water mold. Every day a few more. The heavy dew we had last night was nearly as destructive as the rains. Luckily, like last year, it's only attacking one of my girls. So far it only likes the plants with the larfiest colas. I found it in four spots of my Banana Ice Cream #3 last year but this Uzi Cookie has been far more susceptible to it. Even after the BIC#3 was cured it was still occasionally found in random nuggs. Larfy weed is the hardest stuff to get a good cure on. I would avoid this type of flower completely if there was a way to tell it apart early. The problem is that even if the mother isn't know for this trait any given bean still has a chance for larf. It's a roll of the dice. The only way to avoid it 100% is by using clones. My way of minimizing it's occurence is by planting several different strains.

Early signs of water mold. By the time it shows there's already extensive internal damage to the colas.
20191020_100416.jpg20191020_100446.jpg20191020_100045.jpg20191020_095745.jpg20191020_095840.jpg

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Uzi Cookies nuggs getting smoked by water mold. Every day a few more. The heavy dew we had last night was nearly as destructive as the rains. Luckily, like last year, it's only attacking one of my girls. So far it only likes the plants with the larfiest colas. I found it in four spots of my Banana Ice Cream #3 last year but this Uzi Cookie has been far more susceptible to it. Even after the BIC#3 was cured it was still occasionally found in random nuggs. Larfy weed is the hardest stuff to get a good cure on. I would avoid this type of flower completely if there was a way to tell it apart early. The problem is that even if the mother isn't know for this trait any given bean still has a chance for larf. It's a roll of the dice. The only way to avoid it 100% is by using clones. My way of minimizing it's occurence is by planting several different strains.

Early signs of water mold. By the time it shows there's already extensive internal damage to the colas.
View attachment 26429View attachment 26430View attachment 26431View attachment 26432View attachment 26433
Super lame man. Sucks you had to wait the entire season then run into this. Glad you have several other bigass healthy monsters

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Super lame man. Sucks you had to wait the entire season then run into this. Glad you have several other bigass healthy monsters
Thanks brother. Yup yup, the Banana Crack has huge fat colas, the Jack Herer is 12'w x 13'-14' tall & loaded, and the Blue Magoo has dense 2' whips. The Kashmir99 and Death by Kush are nothing special by growth standards but have very tasty and potent flowers. Over all this garden is still looking successful and the damage is mitigated by variety. I was a bit concerned about the Jack Herer cause she's a late bloomer and her flowers looked small at first but her colas are starting to get some impressive density and that raunchy good smell.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks brother. Yup yup, the Banana Crack has huge fat colas, the Jack Herer is 12'w x 13'-14' tall & loaded, and the Blue Magoo has dense 2' whips. The Kashmir99 and Death by Kush are nothing special by growth standards but have very tasty and potent flowers. Over all this garden is still looking successful and the damage is mitigated by variety. I was a bit concerned about the Jack Herer cause she's a late bloomer and her flowers looked small at first but her colas are starting to get some impressive density and that raunchy good smell.
Awesome mang. One day. ONE DAY. I will be able to try some super dank ass fire "omgMF this shite is BOMB" outdoor. And I hope it's yours. The only outdoor I've had that could hang with indoor was up in Arcata and Mendocino. I see you breaking that notion big time 🔥(y)

SmithsJunk

Opus Herba
Awesome mang. One day. ONE DAY. I will be able to try some super dank ass fire "omgMF this shite is BOMB" outdoor. And I hope it's yours. The only outdoor I've had that could hang with indoor was up in Arcata and Mendocino. I see you breaking that notion big time 🔥(y)
Thanks man.

Honestly, in my past experience, Nevada County on average grew slightly better weed than Mendo. Humboldt and Mendo are more well known but we've been growing up here just as long and weed grows well in our arid zone. Sacramento is a central hub for transport because of the I-80 and and I-5 interstates. When I used to live down there I'd get herb from both the Emerald Triangle and Nevada County and 90% of the time NC weed was more potent and pungent. Of course, more recently with the proliferation of knowledge, grow supplies, and legal medical grows, Sacto, Napa, and Frisco areas are nipping closely at our heels. In the last ten years the herb from all over NorCal has improved 1000% so I don't think there's a clear winner anymore. If you live in an area that grows excellent wine grapes then you can easily grow potent monster cannabis. In the last 5yrs I've done the Pepsi challege with numerous strains of locally grown outdoor and indoor. The outdoor has won in taste, potency, and structure almost every time, but the indoor wins in looks 4/5 of the time. My most recent tester was some Girl Scout Cookies. They were absolutely identical in taste, smell, and trich formations, but the outdoor was just slightly better in potency.

When I started growing outdoor 3yrs ago I was totally blown away by the sise and potency of the plants in my garden. They have improved every year with the techniques I've picked up between here and the last forum I was on. My nute costs have dropped by 90% and the harvest output improved by 70% last year. If you live in NorCal you should have no problem growing outdoor trees using your indoor knowledge. Dude, outdoor is soooo much easier. The only things you'll need to learn are when to plant, how to support their sise, and effective pest control. The pest control was the toughest but after trying a few expensive ineffective pesticides I've settled into two types that are both cheap and 99% effective. Early in the season I use Triazicide ($12 or less for the hose attach bottle) and Bonide Pyrethrin ($13 for the concentrate). Both kill everything, including the dreaded Russet and Broad Mites. You need at least 30 days for the Triazicide to completely dissipate, whereas the Pyrethrin can be used up till the last week (possibly later but I like a little cushion). @$40 Azamax is about 70% effective on Spider Mites but doesn't work on Broads or Russets and @$50+ Nuke Em is an absolute joke that does nothing but burn the plants. Monterey or Captain Jack's are less than $20 and are effective against caterpillars, while $8 Garden Safe makes a pretty decent mold inhibitor.

I'd love to see you grow some monster outdoor dank.

Last edited:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks man.

Honestly, in my past experience, Nevada County on average grew slightly better weed than Mendo. Humboldt and Mendo are more well known but we've been growing up here just as long and weed grows well in our arid zone. Sacramento is a central hub for transport because of the I-80 and and I-5 interstates. When I used to live down there I'd get herb from both the Emerald Triangle and Nevada County and 90% of the time NC weed was more potent and pungent. Of course, more recently with the proliferation of knowledge, grow supplies, and legal medical grows, Sacto, Napa, and Frisco areas are nipping closely at our heels. In the last ten years the herb from all over NorCal has improved 1000% so I don't think there's a clear winner anymore. If you live in an area that grows excellent wine grapes then you can easily grow potent monster cannabis. In the last 5yrs I've done the Pepsi challege with numerous strains of locally grown outdoor and indoor. The outdoor has won in taste, potency, and structure almost every time, but the indoor wins in looks 4/5 of the time. My most recent tester was some Girl Scout Cookies. They were absolutely identical in taste, smell, and trich formations, but the outdoor was just slightly better in potency.

When I started growing outdoor 3yrs ago I was totally blown away by the sise and potency of the plants in my garden. They have improved every year with the techniques I've picked up between here and the last forum I was on. My nute costs have dropped by 90% and the harvest output improved by 70% last year. If you live in NorCal you should have no problem growing outdoor trees using your indoor knowledge. Dude, outdoor is soooo much easier. The only things you'll need to learn are when to plant, how to support their sise, and effective pest control. The pest control was the toughest but after trying a few expensive ineffective pesticides I've settled into two types that are both cheap and 99% effective. Early in the season I use Triazicide ($12 or less for the hose attach bottle) and Bonide Pyrethrin ($13 for the concentrate). Both kill everything, including the dreaded Russet and Broad Mites. You need at least 30 days for the Triazicide to completely dissipate, whereas the Pyrethrin can be used up till the last week (possibly later but I like a little cushion). @$40 Azamax is about 70% effective on Spider Mites but doesn't work on Broads or Russets and @$50+ Nuke Em is an absolute joke that does nothing but burn the plants. Monterey or Captain Jack's are less than $20 and are effective against caterpillars, while $8 Garden Safe makes a pretty decent mold inhibitor.

I'd love to see you grow some monster outdoor dank.
That would be so awesome. But my area is super Nazi on cannabis, especially outdoor (banned). I hate bugs. I have a bit of whiteflies right now in the garage probably because of the hay field behind me 😕 been using Plant Therapy spray.
Thanks for all the tips. I'm sure they will come in handy one day. Maybe sooner than later. My buddy has some land next to a big running ditch. He's on an old fish farm and he has grand visions of turning it back on and asked me if I knew anything about aquaponics. No, but I can learn 😉