The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Pulled the Headlights tonight, may get the Cookie Breath soon but it wasn't obvious to the naked eye like the HL.

Watering later and I'll get pics of the new set-up. Of note I already have the harvest date on the calendar for the Chemdog mom that's flowering since all her clones are kicking. Pbud was talking on a podcast about the best potency for most of the chems coming at the 60-day mark based on when the terps are at their highest. I have plants to give that one a shot, and if I'm gonna do it it'll be the first one so I know for the rest. :unsure: or at least harvest most of the plant and leave the lower parts to get a little more mature.

I'll not be against getting some '91 back in the jar.

I'm also hoping this Headline with the heavy terpenaline knocks my socks off too. It doesn't have that immediate "yum" factor the first one did. It just smells nasty LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Full Moon Fever - I took the Headlights by eye, and the Meat Cookies based on pics. That left just the Flamethrower in the closet and My initial plan was backing the lights off to just 11 hours, then maybe 10.5. I have to go back and reset the timer and turn the lights and fans off.
IMG_9283.JPG
Because the white pistils all over I'm writing off to stress and too small a pot.
IMG_9287.JPG
The initial round of pistils is dead dead, and there's ambers everywhere.
IMG_9287.1.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So we write that off as a learning experience I have another 5 to grow. Looking a lot thinner now. The closet will be off unless I get another super-stretcher.

The 3x3 has the earlier flips
IMG_9279.JPG
And the 4x4 has the recent ones. I snipped two lower limbs off each plant. I have the mutts and the two headlines setting in aloe water. The Trinity female I got is great, but I have 100 more of those to pop. The CLHP crosses still need to prove themselves then I can hunt the rest of the pack.
Same with the two Headline because I have 20 more and this shorter shrub looks like the dominant type. And it's what I have hanging now. If I like it I think finding another will be easy. The Muttzarella I only have 6 more, but I have 6 more LOL.
IMG_9282.JPG
OK, I talked myself off the floweer-clone ledge. They'll go to the worms with the rest.
I was not seeing a lot of drinking and the pots and cups felt cool so I abandoned the veg tent for now and fired up the 2x2. Seedlings and clones fit nicely and it's only 100w of light. IMG_9289.JPG
I found this in one of the pots I just harvested. Gonna move it to a cup and see if it lives.
IMG_9293.JPG

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Cookie Breath was 195g wet, the Headlights 200g, and the Flamethrower was 245g. The first two went 10 weeks, the Flamethrower was 11 weeks.

Based on how I grow and the plants I harvest here's what I have found. About 30% is where the plants stop losing weight rapidly, then usually stop before or at the 25% mark. Bucked off the stems you get in the vicinity of that 20% number.
1711516265982.png
So the most recent thinning of the herd net me about 3/4 pound, in 8 flavors, and enough of each to get sick of it if that's the path it takes, or enough to enjoy while I plan on dropping another.

The Dirty Taxi is going quick and it is not losing it's appeal. That is the next clone. Maybe the MacFish just because the first two I dropped werre male and finding a girl may be tough. The breeder was on a podcast the other evening and showed pictures of a male and female of the strain, and it is opposite world. Like the two males I found they were short stubby Christmas trees like the Bubba. The girl had decent node spacing and limbs. If get what looks like a girl compared to the other or if they both look stretchy I'll clone that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That first round of harvests was on the 20th. Most were different kinds of Mizuna, which is a Japanese mustard green. Of the lot the best producing was the "605 Summer" which is the real feathery version. I think because the foliage is so stringy it lets more of it grow to maturity without thinning it out. What I don't eat will go to the worms, but what amazes me is that after a week it os still fresh looking. I snipped it all and ran it through a tub of ice water then a salad spinner, and it's just in the fridge covered. I'll keep trying other cover crops but I think it will be a staple in one pot each flip or at least a good part of a future cover crop blend. I ordered 5 more packs from Baker Creek and I'll try growing some outside for seed.
IMG_9296.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Beautiful day today so I was planning to mow me some green mulch for the compost pile. I had few tarps from somewhere I needed to fold up so tossing them on the mower seemed a good temporary solution. I open the shed and imagine my surprise. I have some drainage holes drilled in the plywood because it sucks and held puddles. I guess he made use of one.
IMG_9297.JPG
I saw this guy twice last year, once travelling through the yard towards the woods and once scooting down a chipmunk hole under a log. I have three different styles of rodent traps in service - now 4 because under this shed is one of the chipmunk habitats. It is a black rat snake, nd is about 6' long last time I saw him stretched out. I went to get the camera and he was still chilling when I came back so he's not threatened. I went to get a stick to lift him off the mower and the second time I came back he was sliding under a toolchest by the wall. Beautiful!
IMG_9298.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I guess I didn't mention that I have no problem with snakes. It's like with the wasps, they are more beneficial than we realize. I only knock down wasp nests now if they start building one in a place I know we'll have confrontations later. If this guy wants to live in my shed I'll build him a bed or something. I put the tarps back after I was done mowing in case he wanted to get off the cold ground again.

I'll admit my heart raced a bit when I first saw it, but my first thought was about not scaring it and making it run away :) The fact that it just eased back to wherever it was hiding instead of making a run for it out of the shed was good.

I am in the process of building a few bat houses. They are excellent bug killers and how cool would it be to harvest local bat guano for the weed 😂

I know I have an opossum that at least travels through the area, but I have found a few burroughs that could be homes for them or a skunk or something. I shot the last woodchuck I saw and it ran off presumedly to die, I havent seen one or evidence of one since. If that opens up a home for a 'merican marsupial then I'm all for it.

I also have at least one owl and I have no clue what kind. I hear it most mornings if I get up early enough. I have a redtail hawk that at least hunts my land, but I have no idea the range of either of those. I think the owl is local on the property but the hawk could be anwhere.

I have seen an occasional rat or field mouse but surprisingly few. I have seen a few other tiny snakes but none poisonous so that's good.

My main pest is chipmunks. I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack and they are my gophers.

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf
I guess I didn't mention that I have no problem with snakes. It's like with the wasps, they are more beneficial than we realize. I only knock down wasp nests now if they start building one in a place I know we'll have confrontations later. If this guy wants to live in my shed I'll build him a bed or something. I put the tarps back after I was done mowing in case he wanted to get off the cold ground again.

I'll admit my heart raced a bit when I first saw it, but my first thought was about not scaring it and making it run away :) The fact that it just eased back to wherever it was hiding instead of making a run for it out of the shed was good.

I am in the process of building a few bat houses. They are excellent bug killers and how cool would it be to harvest local bat guano for the weed 😂

I know I have an opossum that at least travels through the area, but I have found a few burroughs that could be homes for them or a skunk or something. I shot the last woodchuck I saw and it ran off presumedly to die, I havent seen one or evidence of one since. If that opens up a home for a 'merican marsupial then I'm all for it.

I also have at least one owl and I have no clue what kind. I hear it most mornings if I get up early enough. I have a redtail hawk that at least hunts my land, but I have no idea the range of either of those. I think the owl is local on the property but the hawk could be anwhere.

I have seen an occasional rat or field mouse but surprisingly few. I have seen a few other tiny snakes but none poisonous so that's good.

My main pest is chipmunks. I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack and they are my gophers.
I have a black snake in my shed too and he's massive. I had a mama bear hauling off my trash cans last year I've got tooth marks on the one can she dragged off, I also had some coyotes but they moved on. I'm in the Appalachian mountains, Hatfield McCoy trail entrance is up the road lots of side by sides and 4 wheelers here

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
There are now 8 hanging, the front 5 just finished day 8, only two are in the 'window' between 25-30%, and all are still losing weight slowly. Adding the new green plants helped I think.
IMG_9306.JPG
These did not like the shit tent with the 100w light and the heat mat. They looked happy at first then they just - didn't? 🤷‍♂️
They look much happier now. all vents open.
IMG_9307.JPG
The Headline are the shorty 6-tops on the left, Trinity OG and Mutt in the middle, and the CLHP xCSR on the right - tall and short.
IMG_9309.JPG
The Trinity cross in the middle is flowering quick
IMG_9310.JPG
Catpiss Kush on the left - tall and short, Chemdog in the middle, Bombthreat back right and Potion front right
IMG_9311.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I spent the entire day playing with just-dry weed. It took until dinner to get all 5 plants bucked and in containers, then I ran all the trim for a "first wash" dry sift. I got a little of the primo sift from each plant to smoke with a few bowls, then the rest I'll be using for edibles.

I have just been doing random one-hitters off all 5 strains and I know I'll be able to long term store some of the stuff I have been smoking on.

The Flashback '68 is the top dog out of the gate, but it's the smell. You just walked into one of those "Mexican Buffet" restaurants and it's the smell you get when you are not near the food yet. By the wait-staff stand where they have the potted plants and stuff but the food is just hitting you. It has lots of smells.

The Headline is like Listerine and berries. Really wierd but I might like it. The FB'68 smells more like the first Headline I dropped than this does.

The Blue Jack City is blue cheese and something. Like anise or licorice or something.

The Sour Puss is the least smelly of the bunch. There's a bit of a minty smell but not much.

The Platinum Ice is like sweet corn and sour milk, but it is really oily-sticky and seems like the one that will change most as it cures.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since this Sour Puss is similar to the first one I ran I think that bodes well for the other Monkeydog seeds I have. Flashback and Blue Jack seem like the top shelf this round but the high is what matters. The Flamethrower that is still hanging is an unknown. I like citrus but the orangy strains are usually weak. might be a "sativa" leaner wake-n-bake strain for gardening days.

I think the name has changed to Greenway something or other at Dagga and most are for sale and they have some I dont. Everything of theirs was at least good-sized, most leaned towards "too large to be trees in a tent" so I'll be topping future ones. All fems too.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I started with the Headline since it has that astringent smell to it and I knew I'd either love it or hate it. It has a decent taste to it and it packs a punch. I think I'll pass on cloning this version though, and with the short stubby way it grew I think the two in early flower will be similar. The high does last a while though so it may grow on me. Also pictured is the gold-fumed color-change pipe I just got.
IMG_9326.JPG
I kept one of those little tubes of the pea-gravel nugs from each of the 5 plants to smoke on while it's curing. The new is always cool, even if it's to find out one is only good for edilbles right off the bat. I have had lots of strains that get better with age, but I have never had one that didn't really get me high after a week of drying that produced a phenominal buzz as it aged. That's the weed-snob part I guess. This was the super-short plant on the left. every little nug has density, and every one of those tops has some weight. Not a bad tent plant at all.
IMG_9205.JPG
I'll do the Platinum Ice tomorrow. It is the short 2-prong, and it won the frost and density categories. It was the mutant, and it was a bitch to trim, but each side of that little plant weighed an ounce trimmed.
IMG_9320.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Beautiful day today so I was planning to mow me some green mulch for the compost pile. I had few tarps from somewhere I needed to fold up so tossing them on the mower seemed a good temporary solution. I open the shed and imagine my surprise. I have some drainage holes drilled in the plywood because it sucks and held puddles. I guess he made use of one.
View attachment 136632
I saw this guy twice last year, once travelling through the yard towards the woods and once scooting down a chipmunk hole under a log. I have three different styles of rodent traps in service - now 4 because under this shed is one of the chipmunk habitats. It is a black rat snake, nd is about 6' long last time I saw him stretched out. I went to get the camera and he was still chilling when I came back so he's not threatened. I went to get a stick to lift him off the mower and the second time I came back he was sliding under a toolchest by the wall. Beautiful!
View attachment 136633
natures mouse trap!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
natures mouse trap!
I have had shit luck with the traps around my garden, I hope it's because he made a home under the shed. It's on a set of 2x4 floor joists and plywood, all treated. But I was drunk and made the deck bigger than the shed - and the water runs in - duh. So I said screw it and drilled a few augur holes in the puddle spots.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Before and after pics.
IMG_9205.JPG
I think my favorite is gonna be the Flashback in the top right tin. That's the Mexican restaurant smelling one. It is super hairy but it's all dense nug underneath. If you grind gentle those red hairs and leaves stay in the top. Clockwise from there is the Blue Jack City which is still blue cheese, and has a blueish tint to it compared to the rest. Platty Ice in the Cvault, Headline, then the Sour Puss.
I still have the Cookie Breath the Flamethrower and the NL5 Haze x Headband drying. The last two seem like the dreaded "sativa leaner" but I'll keep an open mind.
IMG_9331.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I started with the Platty Ice, took a nap, tried the Sour Puss. Both get me high, but both lack a little something, and I knew it before I smoked them. Niether had that smell that made my mouth water. And niether had that high that checked all the boxes. I kept hitting them again to see if it would get there but it stayed the same. Real strong head high on both, and the PI got me to nap time after a good nights sleep so it might be good before bed smoke. But niether had that full body high.

Going by smell alone the Blue Jack City and Flashback have those food smells and make me want to taste a nug to see. I am hoping the BJC has a great high to go wih the smell but the UK Cheese never did get me real high. It was just tasty and went great with other stuff. The Headline has a well rounded high so I may start liking that astringent smell.

Getting one plant out of 5 that is phenominal is a great ratio in my book. Having two, maybe three is on the breeder making great beans. And I bet that 9 out of 10 other people would smoke both of the ones I don't care for and shit kittens. There's nothing wrong with an y of them but I get to be picky. I'll keep smoking on the question marks to see if it was just me that day or whatever but no worries if they don't. I am thinking the cookies family just doesn't do it for me. The Sour Puss might just be an off pheno.